Ivorian wonderboy for Scotland? - Page 3 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Ivorian wonderboy for Scotland?

finnie

27 minutes ago, Alan said:

I read he was born in England and moved here only 4 years ago. Need to take into account strong family ties back to Ivory Coast. Celtic allowing all this to kick off was poor player support. He's 13 ffs.

As ProudScot says his family moved to Glasgow when he was only a few weeks old. If he'd been here for just 4 years he wouldn't qualify to play for Scotland yet.

• Replies 130
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, Alan said:

I read he was born in England and moved here only 4 years ago. Need to take into account strong family ties back to Ivory Coast. Celtic allowing all this to kick off was poor player support. He's 13 ffs.

There's yer da, making things up again. 

5 hours ago, aaid said:

There's yer da, making things up again. 

I was going to have lasagna for my tea but I'd like to know your differing view on that.

People over 50 shouldn't be making "yer Da" jokes. Over 25 even. Unbecoming.

• 3 weeks later...

Wasn't he and his family given special VIP treatment at hampden for the Lithuania match or something ? Can't really trust the sfa to get that right to be honest. Might have been drivel. Since then he's played for Scotland u16s and presumably seen the current crop of failures play....all in all not really suprised if he goes on to play with England.

6 hours ago, er yir macaroon said:

I suspect he'll play for both countries until about 16.

I don't think you can chop and change repeatedly.

I am reading he has chose England and will play for them next month and stick which is disappointing given he's grown up in Scotland and in the Scottish system.

Given the shambles of our set up in general who can blame him. 

Disappointing. OK, he was born in England but it does show the entitlement culture and greed of the English system, who have contributed nowt to his development thus far.

Though given the car crash of Scottish football and the senior national team, you can hardly blame the lad.

When Stewart Regan announced that he would move Heaven and Earth to keep Dembele in the Scotland fold, you just knew it was goodnight Vienna.

1 hour ago, KirkieRobRoy said:

Disappointing. OK, he was born in England but it does show the entitlement culture and greed of the English system, who have contributed nowt to his development thus far.

Though given the car crash of Scottish football and the senior national team, you can hardly blame the lad.

When Stewart Regan announced that he would move Heaven and Earth to keep Dembele in the Scotland fold, you just knew it was goodnight Vienna.

You could say the same in reverse for Oliver Burke.  

Hopefully he'll still come back to Scotland but he's only 13, long way to go before we can say whether he'll be a player or not. 

unlike burke his family history is not from the country he has chosen to represent, he has spent most of his life in scotland and is growing up here playing for a scottish club with scottish friends, he should be playing for us or the ivory coast. i would say the current farce we are in the midst of has played a huge part in him choosing to play for england. not that i'm bitter mind you.

Edited by LewisEDI

6 hours ago, KirkieRobRoy said:

And so England trying to poach Burke would be mischievous, while they have, as I suggested, at least a point in pursuing Dembele. It's not the reverse, the cases are different.

Sir, you appear to be setting yourself up as a contrarian for the mere sake of it.

No I'm not.  ?

I don't see how the cases are different either.  They look pretty identical to me. 

6 hours ago, LewisEDI said:

unlike burke his family history is not from the country he has chosen to represent, he has spent most of his life in scotland and is growing up here playing for a scottish club with scottish friends, he should be playing for us or the ivory coast. i would say the current farce we are in the midst of has played a huge part in him choosing to play for england. not that i'm bitter mind you.

Burke was born to an English mother, grew up in England playing with English friends and for an English club. 

He's obviously got strong Scottish credentials too, but England had every right to try and grab him.  Especially if he were only 13.

7 hours ago, KirkieRobRoy said:

And so England trying to poach Burke would be mischievous, while they have, as I suggested, at least a point in pursuing Dembele. It's not the reverse, the cases are different.

Sir, you appear to be setting yourself up as a contrarian for the mere sake of it.

Are the SFA mischievious for trying to poach Dembele then according to that logic (if you could call it that)? Burke trained with England under-16 years before he threw his lot in with Scotland you know.

The fact is we gain a hell of a lot more dual national than we lose, not that we gain anything much from the likes of Morrison and Bardsley.

11 hours ago, adamntg said:

Burke was born to an English mother, grew up in England playing with English friends and for an English club. 

He's obviously got strong Scottish credentials too, but England had every right to try and grab him.  Especially if he were only 13.

i agree england have got every right to im just saying from a "playing for you country" point of view scotland and ivory coast should be higher up the list than england 

22 hours ago, KirkieRobRoy said:

What has the Scottish "system" contributed towards the development of Russel Martin, Matt Ritchie, James Morrison, etc? 

To be honest, i find this all a bit bizarre. Discussing the rights and wrongs of a child playing football. How about we let the wee lad get on with playing football and see where it takes him? Rather than everyone deciding for him who he should and shouldn't be playing for. 

6 minutes ago, Parklife said:

What has the Scottish "system" contributed towards the development of Russel Martin, Matt Ritchie, James Morrison, etc? 

To be honest, i find this all a bit bizarre. Discussing the rights and wrongs of a child playing football. How about we let the wee lad get on with playing football and see where it takes him? Rather than everyone deciding for him who he should and shouldn't be playing for. 

100% correct.