Best chipper - Page 2 - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Best chipper

Guest flumax

On 10/4/2016 at 10:23 PM, flumax said:

So what's the best chipper?

Good to see one of my favourites recognised http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-north-east-orkney-shetland-37550515

The bay in Stonehaven was one of my favourites, but last time I went few months felt it had slipped. 

Never tried  Anstruther, but hear that's over rated. 

So what's your tip? Anything towards Hampden for match day? 

There's a belter called Hooked on Cathcart Road just down from the corner at Prospecthill Road. It is lovely gear but it's  more expensive than your normal run of the mill chippy.

Guest flumax
4 minutes ago, Mox said:

There's a belter called Hooked on Cathcart Road just down from the corner at Prospecthill Road. It is lovely gear but it's  more expensive than your normal run of the mill chippy.

Cheers. Expensive? I doubt it comes close to the two I've mentioned. Usually don't get change from £20 for two fish suppers, peas and a juice 

I'll get strung up for this but for fish (and I usually don't touch the stuff) English chippies can be outstanding. The choice of fish can be outstanding. me, I didn't even know what some of there things were.

Can't buy a King Rib supper though. ;-)

Edited by andymac
Can't spell.

My first experience with an english chip shop was in the early 90's. Was down doing a job interview staying in some flea bag B&B and went to the local. Ordered a black pudding supper, got back to the aforementioned shit hole unwrapped my feast and get this... the pudding was naked, i.e. denuded of crispy batter. No batter at all. Nothing. Zero batter. 

I'll never for give them for that. Animals. 

12 minutes ago, thplinth said:

My first experience with an english chip shop was in the early 90's. Was down doing a job interview staying in some flea bag B&B and went to the local. Ordered a black pudding supper, got back to the aforementioned shit hole unwrapped my feast and get this... the pudding was naked, i.e. denuded of crispy batter. No batter at all. Nothing. Zero batter. 

I'll never for give them for that. Animals. 

:lol: Foreign countries.

5 minutes ago, Toepoke said:

Was down in Northumberland a couple of weeks back. Gagging for a supper,  couldnae find a chippy open on a Sunday :wtf:

That's normal is it not? Wednesday here. When I was at home I can remember my granny explaining it was about when the boats were aat sea.

58 minutes ago, andymac said:

:lol: Foreign countries.

That's normal is it not? Wednesday here. When I was at home I can remember my granny explaining it was about when the boats were aat sea.

I recall that the chippies weren't open on a Monday because the fleet didn't work or land on the Sabbath.

They (the chippies) were shut on the Sabbath as well. Obviously.

Guest flumax
1 hour ago, andymac said:

I'll get strung up for this but for fish (and I usually don't touch the stuff) English chippies can be outstanding. The choice of fish can be outstanding. me, I didn't even know what some of there things were.

Can't buy a King Rib supper though. ;-)

In places like whitby, Grimsby, Scarborough... Absolutely.

Had some stinkers though to. 

Guest flumax
6 minutes ago, Flure said:

And while we're on the subject of Chinese Takeaways, they're all shut around this way on Tuesdays. Apparently they use that as a "Family Day" to have a get together.

Yup. Noticed that a bit to.

Anyone else's  local kebab/pizza haunts close on a Monday?