Best chipper - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Best chipper

Guest flumax

Guest flumax

So what's the best chipper?

Good to see one of my favourites recognised http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-north-east-orkney-shetland-37550515

The bay in Stonehaven was one of my favourites, but last time I went few months felt it had slipped. 

Never tried  Anstruther, but hear that's over rated. 

So what's your tip? Anything towards Hampden for match day? 

1 hour ago, Topcat said:

the wee hurrie - in troon - where they don't do suppers but will serve you chips for about 2 quid extra

I would avoid. Has been in the local press the last few years for numerous hygiene issues. That's on top of the inflated prices and the long wait.

If you are in the area I'd recommend the Barassie chippy instead.

20 minutes ago, aljay said:

+1 for Buon Appetito. 

It's only two minutes down the road from me and I've never tried it - will give it a bash. 

I found the Wee Hurrie a big disappointment - I've had better fish suppers out of the Marina Cafe a short distance away. 

5 hours ago, thplinth said:

Had a fish supper out of cafe palazzo in Ardrossan a couple of years ago and had to wait while the bossman fried the fish.

It was I think the best fish supper I have ever had, it was absolutely sensational (as fish suppers went).

Piero?

It's a cracking chippy, always mobbed.

Plaice to Be in Killie is my fave in Ayrshire. 

11 minutes ago, bonzo said:

Aye, and there was a 3rd one, a tomahawk. 

Chopper was the biggest one.  Chipper was a smaller version of the Chopper and the Tomahawk was somewhere in between the two.

The Grifter was a different beast entirely.

1 hour ago, Big Col said:

I never had a Grifter. Any time I had a shot on one it was always 'stuck in 3rd'. Nobody knew how to replace the gear cable it seemed.

My sister had a Strika, lime green with a pedal back brake. Could do huge big skids on it.

I had a grifter build like a tank, there was a 3rd one in that range too maybe a comando? I love how this thread is aboot chip shops :lol:

I had a commando. I was always a bit naffed off that I never got the Chopper instead until I actually tried one and nearly smashed my face off the kerb trying to mount the pavement on it with that lethal little front wheel and ridiculous handlebar. 

5 hours ago, Squirrelhumper said:

Ha I know the chippy. I've been going there 25+ years. 

Piero owns it! 

Got you. My compliments to Piero. It was superb! Just curious but can one order it 'fresh' fried like that any time you go in there (rather than take what is precooked and in the oven for quickie customers)?

I was impatient waiting first time but it was well worth the forced wait in hindsight. So I would happily wait next time for fresh done like that. It was magnificent!

20 minutes ago, thplinth said:

Got you. My compliments to Piero. It was superb! Just curious but can one order it 'fresh' fried like that any time you go in there (rather than take what is precooked and in the oven for quickie customers)?

I was impatient waiting first time but it was well worth the forced wait in hindsight. So I would happily wait next time for fresh done like that. It was magnificent!

Most chippies in Ayrshire will let you order it fresh. 

Plaice to be in Kilmarnock cook EVERY fish to order. Well worth the wait.