Sportsound Last Night - Page 2 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Sportsound Last Night

Donaldo87

33 minutes ago, vanderark14 said:

anyone listen to this regularly? I listen to the podcast every morning when one is available.

Stewart Gilmour and Les Gray were the guests. Gilmour was very critical of Peter Lawell and Doncaster. Les Gray disagreed with him. 

Gilmour on Lawell

”I think you’re hitting the nail right on the head. I think that’s one of the problems of having a weak Rangers, shall we say, obviously they’re coming back and I don’t mean any offence whatsoever in that.

“I think it was healthier for the game when we had a strong Rangers so we had two particularly strong clubs.”

What an absolute embarrassment. 

• Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

4 minutes ago, vanderark14 said:

he just kept repeating that line too.

he has a point on Doncaster, he's a balloon

I wouldn't expect anything else from the club that appointed Alex Rae as manager. 

On 10/7/2016 at 8:18 AM, Parklife said:

The most concerning thing for me about it was that all of the fans on the show were happy-clappers. "Strachan is wonderful, we've improved so much, we were unlucky last campaign, one bad game, etc."

Most of them seemed more interested in saying how many games they'd been too and how great a fan they were. Which sums up a large proportion of the away support and high pointers. 

Aye, have to agree. 

The same folk who are more interested in getting an away friendly somewhere they've not been than what's actually best for the team.

You'd think some of these folk aren't allowed to board a plane unless they're wearing a kilt, Glengarry and a Scotland top two sizes too small for their man boobs.

3 hours ago, vanderark14 said:

Bill Brown was on again last night.

if any BBC Sport Scotland pundit/journalist/numpty reads this board, please please please please do not ask this mutant back again. He's a bitter fanny!!

Aye last few times he just sounds pissed off with the world and thinks he knows everything, man is a complete fanny!  Last time when he was on and he tried to go after Michael Stewart was pathetic.  Generally like most on sportsound apart from him and that idiot Fullerton creaming himself over stats!

I thought Willo Flood's interview was interesting last night, once I managed to interpret his broad Dublin accent. He came across as someone who simply wants to play football and left a supposed job for life at Aberdeen (including coaching) to go back to Dundee Utd. Nice chap.

Billy Brown is just another example of what's wrong with Scottish football coaching.

A firm "win at all costs" merchant who values lumping the ball up the park to a hopeless target man that can't control the ball, dangerous tackling on opposition players, no patience for players who want to keep the ball and take men on.

Likes to bang on about how "(insert player here) widnae have lasted in ma day" - aye well this 2017 ya auld pwick, things have changed.

Amazingly (and depressingly) you do still find quite a few fans who find nothing wrong with these these kind of beliefs that have held Scottish football back.

6 hours ago, thewolf_1980 said:

I thought Willo Flood's interview was interesting last night, once I managed to interpret his broad Dublin accent. He came across as someone who simply wants to play football and left a supposed job for life at Aberdeen (including coaching) to go back to Dundee Utd. Nice chap.

Not long after he signed for Celtic a friend of mine spotted Flood in ASDA and asked him for his autograph. Said he was the most shy, quiet and "extremely polite" player he'd ever met. 

When Flood was a kid at Man City they thought he was going to be a real star as well. Injuries ruined his early career however.

Malky MacKay was on talking about Project Brave last night (Thursday 26th).  There is definitely a plan there.  He's saying all the right things and it sounds like the clubs are buying into it and SFA are listening to their concerns and adapting.  I'm on the fence at the moment but definitely agree there is a gap between youth, reserve and first team.

7 hours ago, Alan said:

Malky MacKay was on talking about Project Brave last night (Thursday 26th).  There is definitely a plan there.  He's saying all the right things and it sounds like the clubs are buying into it and SFA are listening to their concerns and adapting.  I'm on the fence at the moment but definitely agree there is a gap between youth, reserve and first team.

Yeah this BBC article really sounds quite promising:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/38765666

Whether it's all overly positive bluster or not, we'll see. Be great if we could actually just do something right for once.

9 minutes ago, Rude Gullit said:

Yeah this BBC article really sounds quite promising:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/38765666

Whether it's all overly positive bluster or not, we'll see. Be great if we could actually just do something right for once.

no mention, other than futsal, of any attempt to change our archaic route one style of play that still used most levels in domestic game

3 hours ago, Bino's said:

no mention, other than futsal, of any attempt to change our archaic route one style of play that still used most levels in domestic game

I disagree with that.  Youths all over play ball on the park.  Prob is they lack competition and physicality.  My team Partick Thistle try to play football as do many Premiership teams.  

11 hours ago, Alan said:

John Collins makes a lot of good points about youth development in this country in a podcast he did recently with Graham Hunter.

4 hours ago, Bino's said:

It'd be odd of them to send the kids to play futsal in autumn then bring them back in spring to play chump hoofball. Maybe I'm an optimist but I'm pretty sure part of being a 'better coach' is not being one dimensional or resistant to new ideas.

48 minutes ago, Rude Gullit said:

It'd be odd of them to send the kids to play futsal in autumn then bring them back in spring to play chump hoofball. Maybe I'm an optimist but I'm pretty sure part of being a 'better coach' is not being one dimensional or resistant to new ideas.

I would agree

tell Alex Rae that

• 2 weeks later...

Jim Spence was back on last night, has he returned to the BBC?

Did he ever say why he left? Was it something to do with the complaints from a small band of rangers fans?

Bill Brown was on again sticking up for his pal Gary Locke again.

54 minutes ago, vanderark14 said:

Did he ever say why he left? Was it something to do with the complaints from a small band of rangers fans?

That's another thing that's wrong with our game. Too many auld mates looking out for one another, set in their ways and suspicious of newcomers with dangerous, radical modern ideas on coaching. 

How many times have we heard X claim that Y is "a right guid fitba man that deserves another job".

On 09/02/2017 at 8:19 AM, vanderark14 said:

No. He's freelance.

Did he ever say why he left?

No.

Was it something to do with the complaints from a small band of rangers fans?

He's never said.