Sportsound Last Night - Page 4 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Sportsound Last Night

Donaldo87

Just now, vanderark14 said:

Mclaren was back on last night to say thank you to sportsound. A number of donations have been made to the charity McLaren works for.

McLaren also hit back at Spiers after his ridiculous comments. I've never really disliked Spiers, I always felt he told it like it was and he never sucked up to any club the way Chick Young did. He's made an absolute up with his latest comments.

Speirs, both this week and last, kept saying "i don't want to go back" to vast sprawling slums with a massive "working class" population living there. As if that's what McLaren was saying he wanted. All he was saying is that folk from poor backgrounds are being priced out of football. There's so few public parks that kids can just go and kick a ball around on and the hire of parks is extortionate. 

I've untold admiration for McLaren and the work his charity does. 

• Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

17 minutes ago, Parklife said:

Speirs, both this week and last, kept saying "i don't want to go back" to vast sprawling slums with a massive "working class" population living there. As if that's what McLaren was saying he wanted. All he was saying is that folk from poor backgrounds are being priced out of football. There's so few public parks that kids can just go and kick a ball around on and the hire of parks is extortionate. 

I've untold admiration for McLaren and the work his charity does. 

He also said ' i know all about the underclass, you don't need to tell me about it'

Really Graham?

5 minutes ago, Boynze said:

He also said ' i know all about the underclass, you don't need to tell me about it'

Really Graham?

Clearly not from his own upbringing or current life position. He did say he'd worked with his church's charity work/ outreach programmes to be fair. 

8 minutes ago, Parklife said:

Clearly not from his own upbringing or current life position. He did say he'd worked with his church's charity work/ outreach programmes to be fair. 

I'm not quite sure Spiers knew what his point was. I think he just panicked when he was asked to comment on the working classes.

Was a wee bit embarrassed for McLaren last night when it seemed that he didn't know what 'acute poverty' meant, and assumed Spiers was suggesting there wasn't much poverty. Then again, loved the way he ripped into Spiers after that regardless. Got to love McLaren for what he does - putting back in way more than the game ever gave him.

• 1 month later...
47 minutes ago, Donaldo87 said:

Interesting idea the other night about a gambling amnesty to come clean and then starting with a clean slate for next season and being fully aware of the likely sanctions. 

A stupid idea IMO. Why should there be an amnesty? 

27 minutes ago, Parklife said:

A stupid idea IMO. Why should there be an amnesty? 

Fair enough. 

Just to me made since to have it all done away with instead of regularly having one or two players pulled up for bets spanning back years and start with a clean slate. 

Suppose its a different matter if people have been punting for / against their own team

surprised to hear this about spiers. Always had a lot of tim for what he had to say.

Andy McLaren has been involved in running this for a while, I can't remember who else he runs it with. Fair play to them. Most places wouldn't even need a community pitch just a set of goals and a decent surface the size of a couple of 18 yard boxes.

The sunshine appeal should consider making a one off donation to his charity for the england game at hampden.

8 minutes ago, Donaldo87 said:

Fair enough. 

Just to me made since to have it all done away with instead of regularly having one or two players pulled up for bets spanning back years and start with a clean slate. 

Suppose its a different matter if people have been punting for / against their own team

If folk have broken the rules they should be punished. I'm unsure why there should be an amnesty. Sounds like self-preservation to me. 

13 hours ago, Ormond said:

Ignore something you are clearly not ignoring?

Look at his posting history. Half his posts are sad wee digs at me :lol: 

Daryl Broadfoot last night - "I get the budget argument, I really do but Brendan Rodgers deserves manager of the year because of the transformational effect he has had on Celtic as a club and Scottish football"

why do they give air time to idiots like Broadfoot?

13 minutes ago, vanderark14 said:

Daryl Broadfoot last night - "I get the budget argument, I really do but Brendan Rodgers deserves manager of the year because of the transformational effect he has had on Celtic as a club and Scottish football"

why do they give air time to idiots like Broadfoot?

Yeah, i chuckled at that. I'm unsure how he's had a "transformational effect" on Scottish football. 

It's just empty hyperbole that adds absolutely nothing to the debate. 

Just now, Parklife said:

Yeah, i chuckled at that. I'm unsure how he's had a "transformational effect" on Scottish football. 

It's just empty hyperbole that adds absolutely nothing to the debate. 

Broadfoot then tried to justify it by saying Rangers are only 6 points behind Aberdeen and then just stopped talking. WTF? All because Spiers said there is an argument for McInnes as manager of the year if he manages to win the cup.

I'm now on to Scott McDonald arguing with Spiers about him being a diving #####. :lol::lol:

On 22/03/2017 at 11:44 AM, er yir macaroon said:

Spiers sounded completely deranged.

Go to any village  in Europe and there's a grass football pitch with nets. Our councillors don't put the interests of the populace first. Any chance to cover waste ground with two hundred houses and they'll grab it. It wouldn't even occur to them to put in a free community football pitch, nature reserve or whatever - these are only ever put in as mitigating make weights for some commercial, destructive operation.

That's interesting.

Largely in Europe, decision-making is pushed much further down the food chain. And is backed with money.

In France, for instance, every little "commune" will have its "Marie" and will have funding from Central. Amazing the number of football pitches, with barriers, lights, changing facilities and a wee grandstand you can see dotted about the French countryside in villages you'd think would be too wee to sustain them. But they do.

Lesley Riddoch's book "Blossom" has an interesting take on what constitutes "local" councils.

• 3 months later...
10 minutes ago, vanderark14 said:

I see they've added the arrogant and boring Kris Commons to some shows. He adds absolutely nothing.

Disagree - as a pundit he's refreshingly nearer to Michael Stewart than Barry Ferguson, who couldn't even spell his own name let alone sign it.

Mind you, if I had my way I'd ban the media from ever hiring anyone that had played for the ugly sisters. In which case we'd be left with Michael Stewart, Steven Craigan, Alan Preston and Willie Miller...........................nah in hindsight maybe not......................

I've noticed you can hear the nerves in his voice once he's realised he's started waffling on a bit and his point has went off on a tangent. Also once he's realised he hasn't contributed for a while he'll roll out a cliche that will include"..and it will be great for Scottish football". 

I think media companies should start giving proper job interviews to these players in the twilight of their careers looking to get into cooshty punditry business. Weed out the drab, useless fkers. Listeners are tired of being subjected to cliche driven incoherent ramblings. It's a tired format. 

Edited by JECK