Sportsound Last Night - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Sportsound Last Night

Donaldo87

• Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Aye it was a good listen. Interesting listening to Tom English on why he doesn't understand why so many Scottish football fans in general are so negative about everything to do with the national team. Him being from Ireland, a positive independent nation, It obviously hasn't yet occurred to him that it's drummed into you at young age to be overly pessimistic about most Scottish things such as the national team

15 hours ago, JECK said:

Aye it was a good listen. Interesting listening to Tom English on why he doesn't understand why so many Scottish football fans in general are so negative about everything to do with the national team. Him being from Ireland, a positive independent nation, It obviously hasn't yet occurred to him that it's drummed into you at young age to be overly pessimistic about most Scottish things such as the national team

lets see; not qualifying in 18 years; poor performances in key qualifiers in the last campaign; continuing baffling squad selections; regimented tactics; ridiculous ticket pricing; Hampden stewarding; unappealing kick off times; little co-ordination with scotrail/GCC on transport around home games; attempted corporate standardisation of home game environment (no flags; shitty bland goal music); and a general lack of wit and enthusiasm from the TA clubs to create new songs/chants to make a more enjoyable and unique atmosphere.

a lot of the above is easily fixed. nothing to do with indoctrinated pessimism or not seeing ourselves as a vibrant independent country like Ireland. winning and qualifying would be a start. 

1 hour ago, Return of Yermaw said:

lets see; not qualifying in 18 years; poor performances in key qualifiers in the last campaign; continuing baffling squad selections; regimented tactics; ridiculous ticket pricing; Hampden stewarding; unappealing kick off times; little co-ordination with scotrail/GCC on transport around home games; attempted corporate standardisation of home game environment (no flags; shitty bland goal music); and a general lack of wit and enthusiasm from the TA clubs to create new songs/chants to make a more enjoyable and unique atmosphere.

a lot of the above is easily fixed. nothing to do with indoctrinated pessimism or not seeing ourselves as a vibrant independent country like Ireland. winning and qualifying would be a start. 

Following Scotland must be an absolute pleasure for you.......

It was a decent show, I thought the fans on the show were a bunch of happy clappers but I might be on my own there.

i preferred mondays sportsound with Barry Ferguson. He was very open about his antics in the Scotland camp, I was surprised at how much regret he showed.

2 hours ago, Return of Yermaw said:

The most concerning thing for me about it was that all of the fans on the show were happy-clappers. "Strachan is wonderful, we've improved so much, we were unlucky last campaign, one bad game, etc."

Most of them seemed more interested in saying how many games they'd been too and how great a fan they were. Which sums up a large proportion of the away support and high pointers. 

33 minutes ago, Parklife said:

The most concerning thing for me about it was that all of the fans on the show were happy-clappers. "Strachan is wonderful, we've improved so much, we were unlucky last campaign, one bad game, etc."

Most of them seemed more interested in saying how many games they'd been too and how great a fan they were. Which sums up a large proportion of the away support and high pointers. 

Last night was a decent show incredibly the only two to speak sense were Amy McDonald and Frank Mcavennie :lol::lol:

1 hour ago, vanderark14 said:

It was a decent show, I thought the fans on the show were a bunch of happy clappers but I might be on my own there.

i preferred mondays sportsound with Barry Ferguson. He was very open about his antics in the Scotland camp, I was surprised at how much regret he showed.

Aye the Barry Ferguson one was really good

3 hours ago, Return of Yermaw said:

I sort of agree with a lot of what you posted but, to me, the biggest reason for me losing most(all?) interest in Scotland was the referendum result. I just don't feel the pride I used to have supporting my country? anymore. I'm going tomorrow, mainly due to it being the only Saturday game and I can catch up with mates I've not really seen for ages. It will be my only game of the campaign.  Of course a great win tomorrow and on Tuesday might cheer me up a bit :)

Amy had pass marks for me although she did go on a bit.  Disagreed with with her view that we are not bringing through players because we are negative about the scottish game.  I felt spiers & co were humouring her at that point.  Generally think sportsound has a pretty good mix of people on. 

37 minutes ago, scot scotland scottish said:

Only caught about 10-15 minutes of it last night. But I thought she was really good. Certainly a lot better than Frank McAvennie!

I think McAvennie was pished, the discussion was about the last campaign and he started having a rant about Zonal marking

The stuff in Mar Hall was interesting but why are they not in the new Orian centre in Edinburgh?

Also enjoyed the previous nights interview with Barry Ferguson. Very remorseful and honest.

McAvennie brings nothing to a conversation. He said tournaments miss Scotland but they seem to have done ok without us. Amy MacDonald knows little about football going off about English football ignoring tv money and worldwide demand. I'd rather have 2 youth coaches on than those 2. The pause when the question was asked "who excites you in the squad?"

As with others don't get the praise for people holidaying to watch Scotland. They have the £. They are not going hungry. It's easy to travel.

5 hours ago, Parklife said:

your last point is spot on, perhaps with more discerning fans we may be able exert a little more pressure on the governing bodies who are less interested on consuming 20 pints in a foreign square and jumping in a fountain.

a classic 'look at me' mentality.

4 hours ago, dipped flake said:

I sort of agree with a lot of what you posted but, to me, the biggest reason for me losing most(all?) interest in Scotland was the referendum result. I just don't feel the pride I used to have supporting my country? anymore. I'm going tomorrow, mainly due to it being the only Saturday game and I can catch up with mates I've not really seen for ages. It will be my only game of the campaign.  Of course a great win tomorrow and on Tuesday might cheer me up a bit :)

You are me, and I claim my five pounds.

9 hours ago, northernscum said:

Following Scotland must be an absolute pleasure for you.......

its not. but it could be so much better. but i go along as a long suffering fan in the hope it will get better - like club fans do. if you are going along skipping thinking things are brilliant then fair do's - "who gives a monkeys about all the issues lets start another round of doe a deer........"

58 minutes ago, Return of Yermaw said:

its not. but it could be so much better. but i go along as a long suffering fan in the hope it will get better - like club fans do. if you are going along skipping thinking things are brilliant then fair do's - "who gives a monkeys about all the issues lets start another round of doe a deer........"

Nah, I am probably somewhere in between the complete desolation you feel for the national team and the ones who skip along merrily ignoring all of the underlying issues of our game.

If everyone went along looking and acting like we were all heading to the gallows, I wouldn't think that would do the guys on the park much good in the confidence stakes!

9 hours ago, Parklife said:

I know this is a weird thing to say coming from a fan, but the opinions of individual fans actually don't matter or affect the result ?

I'd be concerned if our players had a ''happy clapper'' mentality.

On Friday, October 07, 2016 at 8:16 AM, vanderark14 said:

I preferred mondays sportsound with Barry Ferguson. He was very open about his antics in the Scotland camp, I was surprised at how much regret he showed.

Interesting to hear him say that. Although I had to switch it over, due to the combination of his voice and the sad piano...

• 3 months later...

anyone listen to this regularly? I listen to the podcast every morning when one is available.

Stewart Gilmour and Les Gray were the guests. Gilmour was very critical of Peter Lawell and Doncaster. Les Gray disagreed with him. 

Gilmour on Lawell

”I think you’re hitting the nail right on the head. I think that’s one of the problems of having a weak Rangers, shall we say, obviously they’re coming back and I don’t mean any offence whatsoever in that.

“I think it was healthier for the game when we had a strong Rangers so we had two particularly strong clubs.”

Show presenter Kenny McIntyre then asked “Who is running Scottish football?”

Gilmour said: “Oh, Kenny I don’t think you need to ask me that. Are you trying to tell me that Peter’s not pulling the strings? Peter Lawwell ?

“And by the way I don’t mean any offence to Peter. Peter’s job is the chief executive of Celtic Football Club and in terms of that job and his key primary role, Peter does a fantastic job.

“Does Peter do a great job for Scottish football? Hmm. How many times are we talking about new TV deals and various other things and trying to promote the game – and what comes out the box again? Us (Celtic) going to England.

“Some of the chairmen that attend the meetings will not take Peter on. I think he’s got too much power on other clubs.”

Gilmour on Doncaster - 

He added: “If you look back through the whole Rangers saga and chairmen of Premier League clubs, and I won’t embarrass them this evening, sat in a room in Gleneagles and said: ‘Let’s get all this sorted first of all and then we’ll sort him.”

McIntyre asked if he meant they all wanted Doncaster out, Gilmour said: “Yes. Chairmen of current Premier League clubs. They all said ‘we’ll get the amalgamation (creation of SPFL) sorted then we’ll sort that.

“He’s got no credibility with supporters. It’s the way he has conducted himself throughout the whole time.”