Rugby League Four Nations - Scotland - Rugby - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Rugby League Four Nations - Scotland

Hovis fae Sunderland

The Rugby League Four Nations tournament is due to take place in late October / early November. Scotland will be taking part along with England, Australia and New Zealand. Is this even on anyone's radar? My son and I have tickets for England v Scotland at the Ricoh Arena in Coventry on Saturday 5th November, a game which will be followed directly by Australia v New Zealand so two great games - £30 for me and £15 for the lad. Great value! I don't expect Scotland will win this game but me and Tam will make sure they get some support!

Strangely enough despite being a fan of international football , I much prefer club rugby league to international rugby league. Watched Scotland v USA at Salford in the last world cup. Nothing to write home about. I try to go to different super league matches - been to  most grounds apart from Leeds, Widnes and Catalans. Favourite is Castleford with its old stadium - brilliant atmosphere.

I know exactly what you mean. I enjoy club RL as well and the international game isn't generally speaking up to all that much. I decided to go to Coventry not only to give Scotland some support v England but also because that game is followed by Australia v New Zealand which I do think will be a great contest. Do you ever watch any Championship RL? There are some great games played by clubs at that level and the atmosphere is always very welcoming, the fans are great at all the clubs.

Scotland squad

Dave Scott (Batley Bulldogs);

Danny Addy, Dale Ferguson, Ben Kavanagh (Bradford Bulls);

Frankie Mariano (Castleford Tigers);

Luke Douglas (Gold Coast Titans),

Ryan Maneely (Halifax),

Ryan Brierley, Danny Brough (Huddersfield Giants);

Kieran Moran, Adam Walker (Hull KR);

Billy McConnachie (Ipswich Jets);

Liam Hood (Leigh Centurions);

Ben Hellewell (London Broncos);

Sheldon Powe-Hobbs (Northern Pride);

Lachlan Coote, Kane Linnett (North Queensland Cowboys);

Euan Aitkin (St George Illawarra Dragons);

Matthew Russell (Warrington Wolves);

Tyler Cassel (Wests Tigers);

Sam Brooks (Widnes Vikings);

Lewis Tierney (Wigan Warriors);

Callum Phillips, Brett Phillips (Workington Town).

• 2 weeks later...
On ‎17‎/‎10‎/‎2016 at 10:59 AM, Tartan_Don said:

Scotland squad

Dave Scott (Batley Bulldogs);

Danny Addy, Dale Ferguson, Ben Kavanagh (Bradford Bulls);

Frankie Mariano (Castleford Tigers);

Luke Douglas (Gold Coast Titans),

Ryan Maneely (Halifax),

Ryan Brierley, Danny Brough (Huddersfield Giants);

Kieran Moran, Adam Walker (Hull KR);

Billy McConnachie (Ipswich Jets);

Liam Hood (Leigh Centurions);

Ben Hellewell (London Broncos);

Sheldon Powe-Hobbs (Northern Pride);

Lachlan Coote, Kane Linnett (North Queensland Cowboys);

Euan Aitkin (St George Illawarra Dragons);

Matthew Russell (Warrington Wolves);

Tyler Cassel (Wests Tigers);

Sam Brooks (Widnes Vikings);

Lewis Tierney (Wigan Warriors);

Callum Phillips, Brett Phillips (Workington Town).

Some Scots in there ???? Danny Brough is an absolutely brilliant rugby player.

Was actually gonna tune in to Scotland v Australia tonight but then saw it is only on obscure Premier Sport.  Noticed a tweet earlier in the week form BBC Sport announcing all England games in this tournament were live with them.  I don't know about the broadcasting deal but do licence payers in Scotland not pay the same as south of the border?

Anyway what's a realistic expectation for us against the Aussies those of you in the know.  Keep it within 30?

The only player who I know for certain was born and raised in Scotland is Batley's Dave Scott.

I agree with irnbruman - Danny Brough is brilliant. Good to have him in the Scotland team.

Unfortunately Australia will be much too strong for us, it may be a case of damage limitation. They are streets ahead of everyone so the result tonight may be a difficult one for us.

Will be interesting to see how those in Scotland that would never watch a rugby league before and are watching these games view it. I think its a brilliant game - but even better its the cracking atmosphere at super leagues matches.

Well I would fall into that category.  Good fast paced game and I admire the skills of the players.  Seems to be far more attempts at offloading than there is in a typical Rugby Union game.  Still getting used to some of the rules but will definitely be trying to view the games today.  Guy I work with is a Bradford Bulls fan (he's from there) and loves the sport in general.  Was chatting to him this week and he said Scotland v England isn't as interesting to him as Australia v New Zealand.  For the record despite being an Englishman living in Scotland he supports New Zealand as he likes their style of play.

Hopefully Scotland can compete with England and keep it close for a while and then looking forward to seeing Aus v NZ as it is expected to be a tight game between the two elite teams.

Well that's me and my son just about to leave the house and head down to Coventry to cheer Scotland on. I fully expect England to win but I'm absolutely certain it'll not be for lack of effort from our boys; rugby league players always give everything they have. As your pal from Bradford points out, Morrie, the second game of the day AUS v NZ is likely to be the better match (closer anyway) and I'm very much looking forward to that one, the Aussies play some fantastic rugby league. Whatever happens, I hope you enjoy watching.

Thats how to fight for a result, great performance from the League boys   -   if the union guys can get a result from the Aussies today then it will not have been a bad weekend.

Such a shame the Football pussy's feck up time after time  -  Maybe Scotland should pull out of International football and put the resources into rugby.

To get that draw with New Zealand is an absolutely fantastic result. And it was achieved through passion, guts, toil and effort. Our Rugby League boys could teach the fitba lads a few things. You can see what it means to them...

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/rugby-league/37961526

Really well done to all! There's another video somewhere which shows the lads bashing out Flower of Scotland with real pride.

...and just a small note - that's a mainly English crowd that's cheering Scotland on.

Edited by Hovis fae Sunderland

• 3 weeks later...

I like rugby league and I watched a lot of the Four Nations, but the so called 'Scotland' team is a bit of joke. I think there's only one player in the team that was actually born in Scotland. All the rest are Aussies or English. Please someone correct me if I'm wrong about that, but I don't think I'm far off. I understand that international teams in all sports nowadays include players based on ancestry rather than place of birth, but when it's almost the entire team it gets a bit ridiculous.

Furthermore, none of the Scotland matches were even played in Scotland. Australia and New Zealand are two of the three biggest international RL teams in the world and yet Scotland's games against them were played in Hull and Workington. I can only conclude this was because it was assumed that there wouldn't be a good crowd if the matches were played in Glasgow and Edinburgh. Don't get me wrong, I would love it if rugby league was played to a high level and was popular in lots of countries, but sadly that just isn't the case. Given the make up of the team, Scotland's inclusion in the Four Nations is, in my opinion, a nonsense.

Rugby league needs to stop trying to emulate rugby union. It just doesn't have the support base to do so. England against Australia is the biggest game for English RL fans, and yet the match in London only attracted 35000 fans. England rugby union had 81000 for what is effectively a friendly game against Fiji.

22 hours ago, George Saint said:

I like rugby league and I watched a lot of the Four Nations, but the so called 'Scotland' team is a bit of joke. I think there's only one player in the team that was actually born in Scotland. All the rest are Aussies or English. Please someone correct me if I'm wrong about that, but I don't think I'm far off. I understand that international teams in all sports nowadays include players based on ancestry rather than place of birth, but when it's almost the entire team it gets a bit ridiculous.

Furthermore, none of the Scotland matches were even played in Scotland. Australia and New Zealand are two of the three biggest international RL teams in the world and yet Scotland's games against them were played in Hull and Workington. I can only conclude this was because it was assumed that there wouldn't be a good crowd if the matches were played in Glasgow and Edinburgh. Don't get me wrong, I would love it if rugby league was played to a high level and was popular in lots of countries, but sadly that just isn't the case. Given the make up of the team, Scotland's inclusion in the Four Nations is, in my opinion, a nonsense.

Rugby league needs to stop trying to emulate rugby union. It just doesn't have the support base to do so. England against Australia is the biggest game for English RL fans, and yet the match in London only attracted 35000 fans. England rugby union had 81000 for what is effectively a friendly game against Fiji.

I find it strange that an Englishman can complain about using  "foreign mercenaries"  when your Union side is full of them, you are coached by an Aussie,  England  has the largest pool of players and has the wealthiest Union so why go pick from other countries.

You have also answered your own question, League is a northern power house and hence why only 35k watched the game in London .

5 hours ago, wellyman said:

I find it strange that an Englishman can complain about using  "foreign mercenaries"  when your Union side is full of them, you are coached by an Aussie,  England  has the largest pool of players and has the wealthiest Union so why go pick from other countries.

You have also answered your own question, League is a northern power house and hence why only 35k watched the game in London .

This ?