Strachan out. - Page 5 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Strachan out.

kmcca5

• Replies 140
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Other than Martin upfront, the team was what most people would have picked. The problem was that Strachan made some bizarre subs and isn't capable of changing things tactically to turn the game in our favour. It was painfully obvious that we were going to struggle for goals and we left it far too late to bring Griffiths on / go two upfront. 

I can't remember the last time Strachan outsmarted another team with his tactics. 

We need a win or a draw on Tuesday but I don't have the confidence that we can go and do it. 

1 hour ago, Handsome22Devil said:

Iceland is a brilliant story but it contains absolutely no relevance to us sadly - the stuff they have (pitches and trained coaches) comes from a willingness to invest which simply doesn't exist in Scotland. After all this time, we have how many indoor pitches? Look at the reaction to the Murrays trying to build the tennis academy - not on our doorstep, thanks - it's just not going to happen.

So it's not just the SFA but a societal resistance. We simply don't have the numbers to carry off lack of investment in grass roots.

If we accept that standard we really can't complain drawing with Lithuania at home as a nation the ambition (and money) just isn't there.

J

Expecting us to win away against the team above us and our main rival in he group is crazy. We took 4 points out of 5 off them.

The game that killed us was Georgia. No amount of wailing about the game in Ireland will change this. We never turned up that night and since then it has been downhill. 

Ireland got 10 points from Germany & Georgia. Scotland got 3 points. There's the issue for you lads in the last group. All this despite Scotland playing incredible fluid attacking football with a better squad than Wales, Ireland & N.Ireland at their disposal. Dropped points to teams like Lithuania at home is the reason why you won't qualify or get a play off spot. In recent years Wales & N.Ireland haven't dropped many points at home & Ireland always find a way to beat lesser nations at home despite not playing well a lot of the time. Scotland need to change their mentality. It's simple as that. 

Edited by TheBoysinGreen

1 minute ago, TheBoysinGreen said:

Ireland got 10 points from Germany & Georgia. Scotland got 3 points. There's the issue for you lads in the last group. All this despite Scotland playing incredible fluid attacking football with a better squad than Wales, Ireland & N.Ireland at their disposal. Dropped points to teams like Lithuania at home is the reason why you won't qualify or get a play off spot. In recent years Wales & N.Ireland haven't dropped many points at home & Ireland always find a way to beat lesser nations at home despite not playing well a lot of the time. Scotland need to change their mentality. It's simple as that. 

Correct.

2 minutes ago, TheBoysinGreen said:

?

1 hour ago, todd said:

Getting a bit tired of the Iceland comparisons to be honest.  They went through a purple patch, pure and simple.  Give it a year or two and they'll be back to a pot 6 team.

England game aside, I thought they were pretty average.  Then again, I thought the Euro's were pretty sh*t in general anyway.  

22 hours ago, Clyde1998 said:

If we don't get something from Slovakia - we won't qualify, IMO. End of story. Realistically, we need to win that game though - otherwise we're dependent on getting points from the England games to have any chance.

We played Ireland away before the Georgia defeat. It was that defeat that put us out, but at that time - beating Poland still gave us the possibility of finishing third. Ireland beating Germany killed any chance of us qualifying, though. If we hadn't conceded that stoppage time goal against Poland and Ireland hadn't scored that stoppage time winner against Germany - with the results that followed, we would've finished third in that group and would've been in the play-off. Even before the Poland game, we still had a half-decent chance of qualifying.

Ireland didn't score a stoppage time winner against Germany. They scored a few stoppage time goals but not in that game. 

20 hours ago, ankles said:

Any failure tonight lies with the manager , not one person i know would have went with the starting 11. So we get to half time , we're doing feck all...... oh , let's get Forrest on. Naw, just feckin Naw.  Two games in we've already had a " Georgia" .  Sad to say but we've got ourselves another Levein . Get yer best 11 on the park and go with it. Let them worry about us. Smacks of a  whole load of overthinking aka Ireland away in the Euros .Utter bawz.

Spot on. Most wouldn't persist with the r.martin/hanley partnership(never seen 2central defenders that let the ball bounce every time). NOBODrY would play c.martin ahead of fletcher/Griffiths. Also maybe just me but barry bannan is too small to play central midfield in international football.....same with forrest.

ALSO SHOWS HOW MUCH WE MISS HUTTON(still nobody better as an attacking full back).

2 minutes ago, deso1 said:

Spot on. Most wouldn't persist with the r.martin/hanley partnership(never seen 2central defenders that let the ball bounce every time). NOBODrY would play c.martin ahead of fletcher/Griffiths. Also maybe just me but barry bannan is too small to play central midfield in international football.....same with forrest.

ALSO SHOWS HOW MUCH WE MISS HUTTON(still nobody better as an attacking full back).

Who are these amazing central defenders we have to replace Martin and Hanley then ?

Barry Bannan too small. Aye, don't pick anyone under 6'2 for professional football. A rotten attitude we are thankfully starting to chase out the game.

The Alan Hutton of 2007-2012 was a great attacking full back. The Alan Hutton of 2016 is completely worn out and finished for club and country. Paterson needs to be "blooded" and I don't want us going down the Craig Brown keeping has the declining has beens on until they are nearly forty.

Youth has to be given a chance and trusted even if they make a few mistakes. We should persevere with Paterson and Burke in the starting XI. The idiots shouting abuse at them and blaming them for that result are brainless cretins.

3 minutes ago, ErsatzThistle said:

Who are these amazing central defenders we have to replace Martin and Hanley then ?

Barry Bannan too small. Aye, don't pick anyone under 6'2 for professional football. A rotten attitude we are thankfully starting to chase out the game.

The Alan Hutton of 2007-2012 was a great attacking full back. The Alan Hutton of 2016 is completely worn out and finished for club and country. Paterson needs to be "blooded" and I don't want us going down the Craig Brown keeping has the declining has beens on until they are nearly forty.

Youth has to be given a chance and trusted even if they make a few mistakes. We should persevere with Paterson and Burke in the starting XI. The idiots shouting abuse at them and blaming them for that result are brainless cretins.

Sorry I don't recall saying  knew who should replace the 2 central defenders but every1 to a man can see theyre useless........if something doesn't work after so many games.....it aint ever going to work.

Im sick of folk pretending to be all modern and say its ancient to want a player to be able to shove another player off the ball (and the arguments like iniesta/messi are small don't wash)......Barry/forrest aint either of them.

while I agree Pateron/burke should get game time, I only mention that we were ineffective more than if Hutton 2014 was playing(and hutton2007-12 was nigh on unplayable).

I also believe the whole team deserved to be booed, but have never ever shouted abuse at any player.

3 hours ago, todd said:

Getting a bit tired of the Iceland comparisons to be honest.  They went through a purple patch, pure and simple.  Give it a year or two and they'll be back to a pot 6 team.

Do a bit of research. No they won't be & the infrastructure they have in place for youth development and training is world class.

in addition they encourage players to move abroad from 16 which given the state of the SPL is the sort of policy we should also be looking at...