Strachan must stay thread - Page 4 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Strachan must stay thread

Doric

3 hours ago, andyD said:

Lithuania outplayed us? Were we watching different games? We didn't play well, struggled in the first half to get any rhythm going, but we cut thru them in the 2nd with chance after chance, while they had one decent chance that they scored. When did they outplay us?

In the first half, Lithuania when they had the ball controlled possession by passing the ball along the grass, playing their way out of tight situations with one twos and looking technically accomplished. We, and with no exaggeration, played a style akin to a team from the lower club leagues, displaying no creativity or technique. Granted we improved 2nd half by increasing tempo but the improvement in quality was slight. I would therefore say they outplayed us in the first half fir sure.

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

How the can anyone defend this ass anymore, he is worse than Craig LEVEIN!!

Maybe Sutton is right but tbh its 45mins to save his job and one goal IS NOT enough.

Only Tierney and Marshall deserve praise, the other 9 and 3 dud coaches deserve SLATED.

6 hours ago, Parklife said:

Excellent response, Vanderark. 

You're really going for the "but all our players are shite" routine that Strachan uses? Was pretty sure you were smarter than that. 

The Lithuanian squad predominantly play in the Lithuanian league, a few in Latvia, their captain in Poland, one in the Bundesliga 2 and that's about it. We have a squad of players who play at a far higher level. However, it looks like their manager knows how to set up his team and motivate them, where as ours doesn't. Not one person is claiming we have world beating players. We're simply saying that our team currently equals less than the sum of it's parts. 

It's monumentally frustrating to see teams with lesser players out play us (like Lithuania), or with players that are no better than ours qualify for major tournaments (Northern Ireland, Wales,  RoI, etc) then see folk say "we don't have the players". We blooming well do! Northern Ireland got to the last 16 in the Euros and they play Josh fecking Magennis in their team. 

Wales have players like Bale, Ramsey and Williams who would walk into our side, and arguably a couple more too.  The Irelands don't have brilliant sides on paper but both have a kind of toughness that for some reasons we seem to lack.  Perhaps the coaching staff can be blamed there, I'll maybe give you that, but we're seeing a painfully familiar story unfolding in front of us here and it goes far deeper than just the coaching staff.

I've been following Scotland since the late 1980s and the team then consisted of players who played regularly in England's top flight and in other good European leagues; our own league was a lot better too back then.  Even the France '98 squad featured players who had won the EPL title and European trophies.  And lo and behold, bar the poor USA '94 campaign, we used to qualify for things.  Until we get back to having at least a core of players who can complete at that kind of level I don't think we should expect to go anywhere.

It can't just be bad luck or the odd duff selection that after 18 years and 6 permanent managers we still haven't qualified for a tournament!  Strachan's CV is superior to his two immediate predecessors but we are seeing similar outcomes.  I'm not saying he is the answer but we're kidding ourselves on if we think that simply appointing someone else - again - is going to turn everything around.

3 minutes ago, scotlad said:

Wales have players like Bale, Ramsey and Williams who would walk into our side, and arguably a couple more too.  The Irelands don't have brilliant sides on paper but both have a kind of toughness that for some reasons we seem to lack.  Perhaps the coaching staff can be blamed there, I'll maybe give you that, but we're seeing a painfully familiar story unfolding in front of us here and it goes far deeper than just the coaching staff.

I've been following Scotland since the late 1980s and the team then consisted of players who played regularly in England's top flight and in other good European leagues; our own league was a lot better too back then.  Even the France '98 squad featured players who had won the EPL title and European trophies.  And lo and behold, bar the poor USA '94 campaign, we used to qualify for things.  Until we get back to having at least a core of players who can complete at that kind of level I don't think we should expect to go anywhere.

It can't just be bad luck or the odd duff selection that after 18 years and 6 permanent managers we still haven't qualified for a tournament!  Strachan's CV is superior to his two immediate predecessors but we are seeing similar outcomes.  I'm not saying he is the answer but we're kidding ourselves on if we think that simply appointing someone else - again - is going to turn everything around.

I agree with 90% of your post but Strachan's position now in untenable. Best to go now and give someone with fresh ideas in. 

1 minute ago, Caledonian Craig said:

I agree with 90% of your post but Strachan's position now in untenable. Best to go now and give someone with fresh ideas in. 

I think we've now reached the 'back him or sack him' stage.  If I'm honest I wouldn't cry myself to sleep if it was the latter either, but I'm still not convinced another changing of the guard will yield much different results.

Just now, scotlad said:

I think we've now reached the 'back him or sack him' stage.  If I'm honest I wouldn't cry myself to sleep if it was the latter either, but I'm still not convinced another changing of the guard will yield much different results.

No I agree but there is certainly nothing to lose now and he has been given more than a fair crack of the whip.

14 minutes ago, scotlad said:

There is much truth to your post and the sad reality is that we simply do not have the depth of quality required. 

In the last Euros, Albania had a couple of players from Napoli and one from Lazio. Others playing in the top flight in Italy, France and Germany. Switzerland have a host of players who play for good Bundesliga teams. Wales can pick players from Real Madrid, Arsenal and Liverpool as well as a bundle of other Premier League players. Slovakia have players who play for Milan, Sampdoria, Napoli, Roma and Hertha Berlin. Poland have six players playing in Serie A, others at Bayern, Sevilla, Dortmund and Ajax. The Czechs have 2 Arsenal players and 3 playing in the Bundesliga. Others at the likes of Fenerbahce and Bordeaux. Iceland have players playing in the top flight in England, Italy, Russia, Germany, France and Switzerland. Austria have about 15 players in the Bundesliga or Premier League. Croatia can pick players from Barcelona, Real Madrid, Juventus, Inter and a bundle of other Serie A players.

Then look at Scotland. Currently two of our entire staff of goalkeepers and defenders play in the Premier League in England. And none at a big club. Everybody else plays in Scotland or the lower league in England. We have six midfielders from the Premier League (none at a particularly bg club) and 1 in the Bundesliga, who is 19 and very raw. Our striking options are woeful for international football. We have nobody who has ever performed at a high level anywhere. Nobody.

So the question is what manager is going to make us competitive against the kind of quality other countries have? Whilst there is simply now way I can defend him or advocate for Strachan to remain in charge after tonights no show on the back of Saturday's dismal Hampden display the sad reality is we are devoid of quality players and whoever replaces him will need to ways to make us better than the sum of our parts.

2 minutes ago, Hendricks said:

Our striking options are woeful for international football. We have nobody who has ever performed at a high level anywhere. Nobody.

I could swear I saw Jordan Rhodes on MOTD just the other week.

3 minutes ago, Hendricks said:

There is much truth to your post and the sad reality is that we simply do not have the depth of quality required. 

In the last Euros, Albania had a couple of players from Napoli and one from Lazio. Others playing in the top flight in Italy, France and Germany. Switzerland have a host of players who play for good Bundesliga teams. Wales can pick players from Real Madrid, Arsenal and Liverpool as well as a bundle of other Premier League players. Slovakia have players who play for Milan, Sampdoria, Napoli, Roma and Hertha Berlin. Poland have six players playing in Serie A, others at Bayern, Sevilla, Dortmund and Ajax. The Czechs have 2 Arsenal players and 3 playing in the Bundesliga. Others at the likes of Fenerbahce and Bordeaux. Iceland have players playing in the top flight in England, Italy, Russia, Germany, France and Switzerland. Austria have about 15 players in the Bundesliga or Premier League. Croatia can pick players from Barcelona, Real Madrid, Juventus, Inter and a bundle of other Serie A players.

Then look at Scotland. Currently two of our entire staff of goalkeepers and defenders play in the Premier League in England. And none at a big club. Everybody else plays in Scotland or the lower league in England. We have six midfielders from the Premier League (none at a particularly bg club) and 1 in the Bundesliga, who is 19 and very raw. Our striking options are woeful for international football. We have nobody who has ever performed at a high level anywhere. Nobody.

So the question is what manager is going to make us competitive against the kind of quality other countries have? Whilst there is simply now way I can defend him or advocate for Strachan to remain in charge after tonights no show on the back of Saturday's dismal Hampden display the sad reality is we are devoid of quality players and whoever replaces him will need to ways to make us better than the sum of our parts.

That's maybe reflected in the way we play: okay on the ball but toothless in attack and defensively as brittle as Strachan's dodgy hip.

6 minutes ago, Hendricks said:

Good post , good assessment.

7 minutes ago, stevenmcn said:

I could swear I saw Jordan Rhodes on MOTD just the other week.

I know man but c'mon lets be realistic here. I think he like others hasn't really had a chance and is never helped by our 1 up front policy but you know what I was saying, our options are frighteningly limited and its unlikely at this stage that the likes of Rhodes, Fletcher, Martin et al are going to answer our prayers. 

I think its unbelievable that Griffiths hasn't been given more game time this week and wasn't brought on far earlier in both matches. 

21 minutes ago, Hendricks said:

I know man but c'mon lets be realistic here. I think he like others hasn't really had a chance and is never helped by our 1 up front policy but you know what I was saying, our options are frighteningly limited and its unlikely at this stage that the likes of Rhodes, Fletcher, Martin et al are going to answer our prayers. 

I think its unbelievable that Griffiths hasn't been given more game time this week and wasn't brought on far earlier in both matches. 

I agree with what you are saying, but it doesn't help when you have the likes of Rhodes and McCormack not even making the squad and as you say Griffiths, who is the only goalscorer in the current squad, not getting much game time. All three have never been given a chance under Strachan, which considering they are arguably or most prolific strikers is baffling.

5 hours ago, Hendricks said:

The lack of quality players has been evident for years but we'll still go through the ritual of blaming the manager after every failure.

It's like England after a major tournament but more depressing.

1 hour ago, Batzek-osemba said:

Are there good alternatives who could succeed Strachan? Its easy to kick him out but who to hire who can make a difference? 

We don't know until we see who applies. Lars Lagerback applied when we appointed Levein, for example.  

England will be offering a salary roughly 10 times what Scotland will to any new Manager. It hugely handicaps who might be interested from abroad. After the continual failure of the last 20 years its about time the SFA found a way to increase what is out on the table to any appropriate candidate. Find a way to get some of their "Sponsors and Partners" to foot the bill for a bigger name.

http://www.scottishfa.co.uk/scottish_football.cfm?page=3305

13 hours ago, Batzek-osemba said:

Are there good alternatives who could succeed Strachan? Its easy to kick him out but who to hire who can make a difference? 

Eh, yes, there HAS to be, not every manager is as shit as him, Levein and Burley.

I really do not get this "who is better" crap that people keep spouting out, well, there has been plenty of names mentioned in the next manager thread.

Do you guys really want us sliding down to ranked lower than 100!!!?

Its clear to see, he has lost the support AND the dressing room.

37 minutes ago, Shaun said:

Eh, yes, there HAS to be, not every manager is as shit as him, Levein and Burley.

I really do not get this "who is better" crap that people keep spouting out, well, there has been plenty of names mentioned in the next manager thread.

Do you guys really want us sliding down to ranked lower than 100!!!?

Its clear to see, he has lost the support AND the dressing room.

I was merely asking mate. Oh and yes, it actually can get worse than that so i think i would check alternatives before.