Chris Martin - Page 2 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Chris Martin

Parklife

I agree that it is not Martin's fault he was picked. Its down to the manager. We played a target man against 2 strong defenders, why would we not use someone who can run into space, ie griffiths. Even Fletcher makes better runs than Martin. Again not his fault, its down to the manager.

Griffiths has to start up front Tuesday

1 hour ago, jamboman said:

Griffiths has to start up front Tuesday

In a game we cannot afford to lose with our manager in defiance mode ?

Unlikely

When Strachan spoke about him at the press conference live on the radio, I genuinely thought Strachan was taking the pish.  Looking and sounding like someone on borrowed time.  Well done to the Happy Clappy brigade in Portugal.  You had your wee week in the Sun with us scoring against a bunch of amatuers, then treated him like a Hero.  Any of the past 3 managers would have been hounded out by now with this string of results.

Starting to think Strachan maybe has a dislike of Steven Fletcher on a personal level. I personally think we should be trying to accommodate Griffiths but I appreciated playing one up front but surely it's obvious fletcher is just better than Chris Martin in almost every department for playing upfront his own??  

For last night's game griffiths would have been the better choice due to the runs he makes behind the defence. Martin is more the type that uses his bulk to muscle past defenders which was not what was needed by the way they covered him almost out the game

48 minutes ago, JECK said:

Starting to think Strachan maybe has a dislike of Steven Fletcher on a personal level. I personally think we should be trying to accommodate Griffiths but I appreciated playing one up front but surely it's obvious fletcher is just better than Chris Martin in almost every department for playing upfront his own??  

Eh? Fletcher was his first choice all through the last campaign.

GS definitely does have a blind or stubborn spot about Martin though. Rhodes, McCormack and Griffiths have all performed as well or better than him in recent seasons at their clubs, but none of them have been given any sort of run to prove themselves while Martin starts our last three qualifiers despite looking torpid for every minute of them.

7 minutes ago, Rude Gullit said:

Eh? Fletcher was his first choice all through the last campaign.

GS definitely does have a blind or stubborn spot about Martin though. Rhodes, McCormack and Griffiths have all performed as well or better than him in recent seasons at their clubs, but none of them have been given any sort of run to prove themselves while Martin starts our last three qualifiers despite looking torpid for every minute of them.

Admittedly pure speculation but I just cannot understand, when your going with one upfront, that you don't go with fletcher. For bringing others into play there are few better going about than him, you cannot deny that (for all he gets slagged for his finishing)

ps my reasoning was during the mid week pressers strachan touched on players being to concerned about tattoos, daft hair cuts and Instagram etc. The hairs obviously not a problem ha

Edited by JECK

13 hours ago, JECK said:

Would that dislike because he has tattoo's ?? 

Also what does Strachan have against 1. Jordan Rhodes and 2. Ross McCormack 

It all seems strange why he is our No.1 Striker 

2 hours ago, broraboy said:

Would that dislike because he has tattoo's ?? 

Also what does Strachan have against 1. Jordan Rhodes and 2. Ross McCormack 

It all seems strange why he is our No.1 Striker 

As I said just speculating. Fletcher does look like your average hipster cheeky nando's type who loves top bantz. Probably everything strachan stands against. Then again they may get on really well. I just don't get how you can drop fletcher when your playing one upfront for Chris Martin - no offence to Martin but he is simply no where near good enough for that loan striker role compared to fletcher.

1 hour ago, valleybear said:

It's hard to understand this one as 2 years ago him and Bryson at Derby were tearing every team to shreds in the championship and were never selected , low and behold he starts playing pish and the bold strschan starts him 2 games in a row , it just doesn't make sense 

Yes, Strachan seems to persist with players who are in poor form and bench form players.

Bizarre.

3 hours ago, Squirrelhumper said:

I'm glad you've found another thread to be a smart arse on.

With the amount of time you spend on football forums, I would have thought you would have devised some more constructive comments. 

Let's hope the team get a result tonight and they prove myself and all of the other doubters wrong.