a decent result on Tuesday and...... - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

a decent result on Tuesday and......

wanday

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, bonny78 said:

The campaign is fked mate. Needed to win the so called easy home games against a sh1t team

Not the way the other results have gone so far. We usually get crucified every time we drop a point........this group not so much. We need at least a point in Slovakia, but a win puts us exactly where I was hoping to be, with 4 points from these 2 games a realistic aim. As mentioned previously, I think we can with in Lithuania to balance the books. 6 points off Malta and 4 off everyone else barring England should do it. Once again, it might come down to who can take points off the top seeds.

1 minute ago, killiefaetheferry said:

Not the way the other results have gone so far. We usually get crucified every time we drop a point........this group not so much. We need at least a point in Slovakia, but a win puts us exactly where I was hoping to be, with 4 points from these 2 games a realistic aim. As mentioned previously, I think we can with in Lithuania to balance the books. 6 points off Malta and 4 off everyone else barring England should do it. Once again, it might come down to who can take points off the top seeds.

We will not win

Putting aside what was a dreadful overall performance and terrible result I've read a lot subsequently that Slovakia away is now a must win and I'm not sure I get that. Clearly we don't want to be losing on Tuesday night after the Lithuania debacle but in terms of finishing 2nd in the group (which was the only realistic outcome before the campaign started) a point there would be as much as we would have been expecting.

Should we draw on Tuesday we would be on 5pts from 9 but more importantly Slovakia would be on 1pt from 9 and still to come to Hampden. Slovenia also dropped points to Lithuania and in all likelihood will drop more on Tuesday against England. I felt this before the first game and its even more prevalent now, we want England to beat all the other teams and its why even though it was disappointing for a minute or two I was actually pleased when they scored late against Slovakia. There is a hell of a lot of football still to play in this group so whilst yesterday was abysmal 2nd place in this group remains very much up for grabs even with a point in Slovakia. I still feel (call me crazy) that it will be between us and Slovakia for 2nd.

NB. I hope I'm proven wrong but I think we will struggle big time to get anything on Tuesday but my point that we don't need to win to contend for a play off spot still stands!

a win on Tues will let Strachan off the hook. again. he is honking. the squad collectively are far better than how he has the team playing - yet he plays the overall ability down but manages to refer to pish performances and poor individidual squad choices as outstanding, he is all over the place and our media and a lot of the fans let him away with it. 

6 hours ago, wanday said:

Slovakia would in trouble - will take them a lot to get back.

Slovakia would be pretty much out it if we win - falling seven points behind us would be too much to make up in a ten game group, IMO.

Edited by Clyde1998

To complete the original sentence....

....We're stuck with Strachan for the foreseeable future.

As someone said, a positive result in midweek is a sticking plaster.

A lot of us got carried away with the Malta result, but in reality, 5-1 flattered us, we were under pressure until the ref killed Maltas chances with the penalty and red card.

Conversely, we weren't good last night, but have played worse and got away with it.

A decent result on Tuesday and we're back on course for second. It's not like we didn't create chances last night, maybe luck levelling itself out from the Malta game. What's the worst that could happen? It's not like we're not use to not qualifying.Let's go again

27 minutes ago, stactuso85 said:

The old "we're not allowed to beat big teams away" mentality

We don't try to. We set up to not lose.

have we beaten a higher ranked team away from home since Paris in 2007?

Edited by sbcmfc

6 hours ago, Hendricks said:

Putting aside what was a dreadful overall performance and terrible result I've read a lot subsequently that Slovakia away is now a must win and I'm not sure I get that. Clearly we don't want to be losing on Tuesday night after the Lithuania debacle but in terms of finishing 2nd in the group (which was the only realistic outcome before the campaign started) a point there would be as much as we would have been expecting.

Should we draw on Tuesday we would be on 5pts from 9 but more importantly Slovakia would be on 1pt from 9 and still to come to Hampden. Slovenia also dropped points to Lithuania and in all likelihood will drop more on Tuesday against England. I felt this before the first game and its even more prevalent now, we want England to beat all the other teams and its why even though it was disappointing for a minute or two I was actually pleased when they scored late against Slovakia. There is a hell of a lot of football still to play in this group so whilst yesterday was abysmal 2nd place in this group remains very much up for grabs even with a point in Slovakia. I still feel (call me crazy) that it will be between us and Slovakia for 2nd.

NB. I hope I'm proven wrong but I think we will struggle big time to get anything on Tuesday but my point that we don't need to win to contend for a play off spot still stands!

Slovakia have already played two of their three hardest games. We have played two of our three easiest.