World Cup Qualifying Group F Discussion - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

World Cup Qualifying Group F Discussion

Ak91

After last nights disappointing draw with Lithuania I'm interested in finding out where everybody thinks we will end up in this group. At the start of every campaign I like to do a prediction for each game in our group and a final table of where I think we will finish. 

From now now until the end I reckon the results will be: 

Slovakia  Away - D

England Away   - L

Slovenia Home - W

England Home -  L

Lithuania Away -  W

Malta Home      - W

Slovakia Home  - D

Slovenia Away.  - D

This would leave us with 16 points which I think would possibly be enough for us to sneak into 2nd place however I think 16 points would not be enough to secure a play off position. 

4 minutes ago, Ak91 said:

After last nights disappointing draw with Lithuania I'm interested in finding out where everybody thinks we will end up in this group. At the start of every campaign I like to do a prediction for each game in our group and a final table of where I think we will finish. 

From now now until the end I reckon the results will be: 

Slovakia  Away - D

England Away   - L

Slovenia Home - W

England Home -  L

Lithuania Away -  W

Malta Home      - W

Slovakia Home  - D

Slovenia Away.  - D

This would leave us with 16 points which I think would possibly be enough for us to sneak into 2nd place however I think 16 points would not be enough to secure a play off position.

Sixteen is probably the minimum you can finish second with - ten points (excluding the Malta games) will be border-line to getting a play-off spot. Realistically, if this results occurred, we would have to convert a draw in one of the Slovakia/Slovenia games to a win to be safely inside the play-offs and it would make us more likely to finish second, in the first place.

Edited by Clyde1998

2 minutes ago, Clyde1998 said:

Sixteen is probably the minimum you can finish second with - ten points (excluding the Malta games) will be border-line to getting a play-off spot. Realistically, if this results occurred, we would have to convert a draw in one of the Slovakia/Slovenia games to a win to be safely inside the play-offs and it would make us more likely to finish second, in the first place.

Agreed. I don't think by drawing with Lithuania the damage has been done, as long as we win in the Away game. Slovenia have already dropped 2 points against them and I can see Slovakia dropping a couple of point against them. We need to be beating our main rivals for second place and like you say, this will in turn give us enough points to secure a play off place. 

1 minute ago, Ak91 said:

Agreed. I don't think by drawing with Lithuania the damage has been done, as long as we win in the Away game. Slovenia have already dropped 2 points against them and I can see Slovakia dropping a couple of point against them. We need to be beating our main rivals for second place and like you say, this will in turn give us enough points to secure a play off place. 

This. The only thing that drawing the Lithuania has done is made it essential that we pick up an extra two points, than we needed, against either Slovakia or Slovenia. Also, I think that we could nick something from one of the England games, which would be a bonus if we manage that.

4 minutes ago, bossman4 said:

World Rankings

Scotland 44 - Lithunia 117

Wales 10 - Georgia 137

Maybe not as bad as we thought

That also looks like a very even group between Wales, Austria, Serbia and Ireland. Hopefully they all take points off each other and second place in this group finishes with a low total. 

3 minutes ago, bossman4 said:

World Rankings

Scotland 44 - Lithunia 117

Wales 10 - Georgia 137

Maybe not as bad as we thought

Exactly.  Wales draw at home to Georgia and it's described as "A bump in the road".  We draw with Lithuania and "That's it, World cup over.  Let's blood the youngsters and start planning for the Euros, blah, blah, blah." 

10 minutes ago, todd said:

Exactly.  Wales draw at home to Georgia and it's described as "A bump in the road".  We draw with Lithuania and "That's it, World cup over.  Let's blood the youngsters and start planning for the Euros, blah, blah, blah." 

What was even more noticeable, is that the Welsh fans didn't boo their players after, or during, the game either...

If you look at the other groups there is good news. There are a number of groups in which several teams have already and will continue to cut each other's throats. Only 7 teams won their first 2 games and 4 of them where in 2 groups. Our group is shaping up to be one of those and frankly we want England to beat everyone else. There is every chance that 16 pts could be enough for a play off place this time around.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2018_FIFA_World_Cup_qualification_(UEFA)#Groups

3 minutes ago, Hendricks said:

If you look at the other groups there is good news. There are a number of groups in which several teams have already and will continue to cut each other's throats. Only 7 teams won their first 2 games and 4 of them where in 2 groups. Our group is shaping up to be one of those and frankly we want England to beat everyone else. There is every chance that 16 pts could be enough for a play off place this time around.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2018_FIFA_World_Cup_qualification_(UEFA)#Groups

I'd take the faroes or Azerbaijan in a play off the now lol you're spot on. 

If you look at the qualifying for the Euros (same group sizes), once the games against 6th place teams are taken off the 2nd place teams had between 14 & 17 points.

If we assume 15 would be ok, we need 4 wins and 3 draws not including the Malta game. After last night, I just can't see us doing that tbh. 

59 minutes ago, todd said:

Wales have shown they can pick up results when it matters. They have given their fans confidence that they can recover from this. When was the last time we beat a decent team when it mattered? As fans (and I'm talking about the fans that have a clue about the game) we have been proved right time and time again that we aren't good enough and no amount of 'positivity' is going to fix that. Indeed, blind faith is probably one of the major reasons we've not improved as we've not demanded it. We follow regardless of how poor the team is, how poor we are treated as fans and how little is being done to change things. 

Edited by PASTA Mick

41 minutes ago, JECK said:

That's a bit of shocker for the euro championships semi finalists. 2 points from there last 2 games. fancy Ireland to be in the top 2 of that group. 

I think it'll be Serbia top and Austria with maybe the Welsh piping 2nd.

From what I've seen on Georgia in the last two games they look a lot better now, no longer seem to be that 11 men behind team. Superb on the counter. They will defo have a massive say in that group. They should have been 2/3-0 up in Dublin on Thursday

8 minutes ago, bossman4 said:

I think it'll be Serbia top and Austria with maybe the Welsh piping 2nd.

From what I've seen on Georgia in the last two games they look a lot better now, no longer seem to be that 11 men behind team. Superb on the counter. They will defo have a massive say in that group. They should have been 2/3-0 up in Dublin on Thursday

Should you not be saying point proven?

As people are pointing out on here, Wales have just dropped points against Georgia at home. I think our score, and Wales', underlines the fact that the 'minnow' teams of the international stage are becoming stronger. 

But onto our group not many people have pointed out England's result last night. 2-0 against MALTA at home. Yes it's Southgates first game in charge and they were winning 2-0 at half time so maybe tried something different in the 2nd half (not sure if they did because I didn't watch the game) but that's poor result considering the players England have. Do think they could be there for the taking at Hampden next year. 

Tuesday - we need a win! I've said for a long time, Scotland are suited to playing better teams. We're better on the counter attack than we are at trying to break teams down who sit back so feel we can get a result!

8 minutes ago, MikeyGC said:

Scotland are suited to playing better teams. 

Are we though?  When was the last time we had a significant win against a higher ranked side in qualification.  I grant you we play better against better team, but unlike the likes of Ireland and N. Ireland, we can't pull off a shock win

Edited by Bobby Russell's Lovechild

Just now, Bobby Russell's Lovechild said:

Are we though?  We was the last time we had a significant win against a higher ranked side in qualification.  I grant you we play better against better team, but unlike the likes of Ireland and N. Ireland, we can't pull off a shock win

See where your coming from. I'll be more specific as in we play better but don't seem to have the bottle to get a result / finish the team off. Looking back at 'big' games at Hampden: Poland, Germany, Spain, France & Italy - I know Spain, France & Italy were a while ago - however these are the ones that come into mind: Thought we played well in a few of these games (Germany and Spain the only ones I can remember as I was quite young during the time of the France & Italy games). Germany, Spain and Italy were world champions when we played them at the time and their class shone through (not Italy's 2nd goal) however didn't think we played badly in Germany / Spain games. Poland we maybe didn't play particularly well however got a result - and should have won! Away from home in recent memory Germany - 2-1 a close game if I remember correctly and Poland 2-2 a game we lead in. In my opinion we are better at playing teams who put us under pressure as we are able to break quickly.