Team for tomorrow - Page 3 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Team for tomorrow

Malcolm

• Replies 390
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

9 hours ago, Squirrelhumper said:

Hardly fluffed it, it was on target which is more than can be said for Martin's "attempt".

He's been used mainly as a sub for us, so you are being a bit unfair with your 9 chances. 

He scored 40 goals last season, has scored a fair few this season already (most in Europe) whilst our first choice striker couldn't score in a barrel of fannies.

We only looked like scoring after he came on against Lithuania. 

I'm pretty sure had he started against the likes of Malta then he wouldn't have been "8 or 9 games" without scoring.

It was a golden chance and directed it from 8 yards out right at the keeper. And Griffiths has played against lesser opposition and still not scored. If he is the bees knees like some fans swear he is then surely he would have found the net at least once. As for his record in Europe it is against lesser teams and in any case I only judge players on their Scotland stints and Griffiths hasn't set the heather alight. I have said get him in tonight as he merits the chance but I just do not see him as the knight in shining armour that some do.

1 minute ago, Caledonian Craig said:

It was a golden chance and directed it from 8 yards out right at the keeper. And Griffiths has played against lesser opposition and still not scored. If he is the bees knees like some fans swear he is then surely he would have found the net at least once. As for his record in Europe it is against lesser teams and in any case I only judge players on their Scotland stints and Griffiths hasn't set the heather alight. I have said get him in tonight as he merits the chance but I just do not see him as the knight in shining armour that some do.

Still a better option than Martin

The only real reason for starting Griffiths is the fact that he can't be worse than anyone else. He's hardly set the heather on fire as an internationalist.

Saying that, we're getting closer to the point where something has to go right for him. I think he'll come on as a sub. and score tonight.

Just now, Caledonian Craig said:

I'd say so but still to prove that in a Scotland jersey.

So has every other player in the first 11 from Saturday bar Robertson and Fletcher, all be it a number of years ago. We've tried Fletcher for an extended period and achieved nothing and we've used Martin on numerous occasions and achieved nothing. Simple trial and error would tell me it's time to give someone else a chance and why not give a guy who has scored the most out of the lot of them a shot?

Got that bad feeling he is going to start Maloney again. Would see that as GS retreating to his comfort zone but hopefully just my imagination. 

Again why was Naismith not playing on Saturday? Thought that was a game that was made for him.

1 minute ago, thplinth said:

Got that bad feeling he is going to start Maloney again. Would see that as GS retreating to his comfort zone but hopefully just my imagination. 

Again why was Naismith not playing on Saturday? Thought that was a game that was made for him.

You could argue that starting with Naismith is him retreating into his comfort zone as well. Both decent players but both who contributed so little in a terrible last campaign last time out. We just seem to waddle into different qualifying campaigns with the same ore of players who have let us down time and again, it's incredibly frustrating.

24 minutes ago, Mox said:

So has every other player in the first 11 from Saturday bar Robertson and Fletcher, all be it a number of years ago. We've tried Fletcher for an extended period and achieved nothing and we've used Martin on numerous occasions and achieved nothing. Simple trial and error would tell me it's time to give someone else a chance and why not give a guy who has scored the most out of the lot of them a shot?

Jordan Rhodes ? Totally agree.

24 minutes ago, Mox said:

You could argue that starting with Naismith is him retreating into his comfort zone as well. Both decent players but both who contributed so little in a terrible last campaign last time out. We just seem to waddle into different qualifying campaigns with the same ore of players who have let us down time and again, it's incredibly frustrating.

??? Very strange post...

-Maloney scored 5 goals in the last qualifiers.

-We started on Saturday with 3 players who didn't play at all last campaign. on top of that Bannan, Robertson, C Martin and D Fletcher were far from regular starters... and we had 3 players on the bench with one cap each.

40 minutes ago, Mox said:

Tosh. It is widely regarded that Martin (R) and Hanley are the best central defenders we have even though they look shaky. Bannan made a difference in Malta with his range of passing and has had good other performances for us, Fletcher has proven himself over the years, Burke is only starting out but has shown us glimpses of what he offers so far, Ritchie has weighed in with goals for us and put in a number of good appearances of late, Snodgrass has proven himself and although Chris Martin is the resident scapegoat he has still contributed and has found the net for us unlike Griffiths. He has played eight times for us and yet to score which hardly yells out he is an international goal machine in the making. He merits his chance tonight but these screams of injustice aren't backed up by Griffiths showings for us (as in Scotland) so far.

19 minutes ago, Caledonian Craig said:

A midfield of Bannan, McArthur and Fletcher is as slow as a week in the jail. Our best player on Saturday dropped , Burke not even in the squad and Steven Fletcher up front again. Will be stunned if we take anything here.