Team for tomorrow - Page 11 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Team for tomorrow

Malcolm

• Replies 390
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

3 minutes ago, ProudScot said:

Probably yes. Ireland also have a very good manager who knows how to set their team up and get the best out of their limited players 

Why always compare yourself to Ireland? Since 2009 Ireland have made a World Cup play off, qualified for Euro 2012, Euro 2016 (getting to the second round) and have beaten Germany, Italy and Bosnia in the past year. At the moment they're joint top in qualifying. It's quite clear they're better at the moment and have been for some time. Matches aren't won on a piece of paper by comparing which player plays for which club etc 

19 minutes ago, romanticscot said:

It's a sad state that now we are seeing our group is very average and here we are not even competing and giving it away. I would have thought  after Gordon saw how close we were mathematically to losing out last time he would have learned every game needs to be played like it's our last and been more assertive. 

Maybe this time it is our last - or his.

6 minutes ago, Third Lanark said:

Why the hell are we so bad? Who do Republic of Ireland have that we don't? Are Whelan and McCarthy better than Fletcher and McArthur who are EPLplayers? Clark and Duffy are they better than Martin and Hanley?

Sometimes it just seems be a bit of self confidence and a bit of belief.  Once upon a time I thought we could beat anyone and could lose to anyone.  Now it's just the latter.  If Strachan goes or even if he stays its a horrible job.  I'm normally optomistic til it's mathematically impossible but I can't see us doing this.  Need to rebuild the self belief and we haven't much of that over the last decade.

To think this is the much hearlalded Scotland team of Sep to Nov 2014 which many Scots gloated about. How times have changed. Get a manager that plays to your strengths, changes the mentality and grinds out results no matter how bad the performance is. Simple  

Edited by TheBoysinGreen

5 minutes ago, Return of Yermaw said:

the only hint of enjoyment I am getting tonight is Fraz65 trying desperately to suggest Strachan is not to blame.

I can't wait to see Tommy Wright/ Lars Lagerback/ Davie Moyes take this group of mediocrities to a World Cup. 

3 minutes ago, TheBoysinGreen said:

Why always compare yourself to Ireland? Since 2009 Ireland have made a World Cup play off, qualified for Euro 2012, Euro 2016 (getting to the second round) and have beaten Germany, Italy and Bosnia in the past year. At the moment they're joint top in qualifying. It's quite clear they're better at the moment and have been for some time. Matches aren't won on a piece of paper by comparing which player plays for which club etc 

Erm. Aye. That's sort of the point. 

But then you already know that. 

5 minutes ago, fraz65 said:

Absolutely. Blaming the manager every two years isn't the answer.

Its not about whether the Manager is to blame per se, but whether there is any prospect of a better future in the coming games under his leadership, and for me, Strachan has clearly come to the end of his journey with us. This loss tonight most likely ends another qualification. Certainly only a run of brilliant results could now rescue this campaign.  Yes, the players are making bad mistakes, yes, we have few players, if any, of good international standard, but other countries with similar supply of players make much more out of their resources. Strachan has made next to nothing out of his.

Have they chucked it? Or can't they take playing in a stilted, slow, players-out-of-position formation any more?

Losing 3-0 to a team who have barely had any spells of pressure. Having the bulk of possession and pressure but not scoring and leaking goals. Seen club teams like that in the past, they end up relegated.