Media turning on Strachan? - Page 3 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Media turning on Strachan?

Squirrelhumper

3 hours ago, vanderark14 said:

The worst culprit is Steven Pressley, he's always on about people who've played the game or people who have managed know what he means, he's wired to the same moon as Strachan 

I'm surprised that there has been no reference to shell suits, cans of Kestrel lager and Rottweiler dugs when referring to fans on the likes of radio phone ins.

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

11 hours ago, fraz65 said:

1. The 2008 squad was significantly stronger than the current one (most played for decent Old Firm sides or in the Premiership)

2. It could be argued that if Strachan had left after a similar period in charge to Smith and McLeish (17 and 10 games respectively), he would have been viewed historically as a success.

3. None of the sides you mention have qualified for a World Cup since Ireland in 2002, when Roy and Robbie Keane were at the peak of their careers.

4. I don't think that Northern Ireland would have qualified from our Euro 2016 group. Poland and Germany are better than the sides you mention, with the possible exception of Wales.

5. Can we do better than losing 3-0 to Slovakia? Of course we can, however there are much bigger issues here than simply changing our manager.

I stopped at point 1 as it's utter guff.

Scotland manager Alex McLeish named a 25-man squad on Tuesday for the Euro 2008 Group B qualifiers against Lithuania and France next month.

Squad:

Goalkeepers: Craig Gordon (Sunderland), David Marshall (Norwich City), Allan McGregor (Rangers)

Defenders: Graham Alexander (Preston), Russell Anderson (Sunderland), Gary Caldwell (Celtic), Alan Hutton (Rangers), Jay McEveley (Derby County), Stephen McManus (Celtic), Gary Naysmith (Sheffield United), David Weir (Rangers).

Midfielders: Scott Brown (Celtic), Barry Ferguson (Rangers), Darren Fletcher (Manchester United), Paul Hartley (Celtic), Lee McCulloch (Rangers), Stephen Pearson (Derby County), Barry Robson (Dundee United), Gary Teale (Derby County).

Forwards: Craig Beattie (West Brom), Kris Boyd (Rangers), James McFadden (Everton), Shaun Maloney (Aston Villa), Kenny Miller (Celtic), Garry O'Connor (Birmingham City).

Edited by Squirrelhumper

48 minutes ago, Squirrelhumper said:

I stopped at point 1 as it's utter guff.

Scotland manager Alex McLeish named a 25-man squad on Tuesday for the Euro 2008 Group B qualifiers against Lithuania and France next month.

Squad:

Goalkeepers: Craig Gordon (Sunderland), David Marshall (Norwich City), Allan McGregor (Rangers)

Defenders: Graham Alexander (Preston), Russell Anderson (Sunderland), Gary Caldwell (Celtic), Alan Hutton (Rangers), Jay McEveley (Derby County), Stephen McManus (Celtic), Gary Naysmith (Sheffield United), David Weir (Rangers).

Midfielders: Scott Brown (Celtic), Barry Ferguson (Rangers), Darren Fletcher (Manchester United), Paul Hartley (Celtic), Lee McCulloch (Rangers), Stephen Pearson (Derby County), Barry Robson (Dundee United), Gary Teale (Derby County).

Forwards: Craig Beattie (West Brom), Kris Boyd (Rangers), James McFadden (Everton), Shaun Maloney (Aston Villa), Kenny Miller (Celtic), Garry O'Connor (Birmingham City).

Goalkeeper, central defence and midfield were undeniably better.

Full backs and forwards you could argue either way. 

1 hour ago, Squirrelhumper said:

He's delusional. 

Bitter little man who thinks he's clever.

the comment that enraged me the most was "the players don't get paid". Is this some sort oof excuse for the piss poor performance?

Guest BlueGaz

I heard a few things on TalkSport whilst driving, that he showed a lot of disrespect to the fans etc, so not sure what he has done this time.  I was in a huff after Saturday night game and then Tuesday, so haven't seen any interviews with him, except a couple of clips where he seemed to be a bit rude, but thats normal for him.

1 hour ago, Toepoke said:

Kenny Miller could be infuriating but he's never been replaced.

Yep.  I thought at the time we'd miss him once he'd gone.  He wasn't the most gifted of players but he made defences work; and despite his often wayward finishing he chipped in with a few goals too.

Christian Dailly and Davie Weir haven't been adequately replaced either.

Just now, vanderark14 said:

give the guy more than half an hour in a game where we are down by 3, that would be a fine way to start

He has started games for us as well and not scored. He has had chances and not taken them. He has tried his luck in England and never got any further than Wolves. The signs are there. Granted he deserves a chance to start at Wembley on basis of fairness but I don't see him as an international goal machine.

1 minute ago, Caledonian Craig said:

He has started games for us as well and not scored. He has had chances and not taken them. He has tried his luck in England and never got any further than Wolves. The signs are there. Granted he deserves a chance to start at Wembley on basis of fairness but I don't see him as an international goal machine.

nobody says he will be a goal machine but he deserves the chance more than Steven Fletcher and Chris Martin

5 minutes ago, Marky said:

He is our 6th highest goal scorer ever.

Since Denis Law retired he is our 3rd highest. Only Dalglish and McCoist have scored more since then.

Really?  That makes the Kenny Misser nickname slightly unfair (although I eventually learned not to bother getting out of my seat if he was ever through one-on-one because it hardly ever resulted in a goal!).

I listened to Charlie Nicolas and I think he hit the nail on the head when he said GS should play to our strengths and play players in there best positions.

When GS took over he did this and we played some good football we got at teams and scored goals we closed teams down and started defending in there half. I thought we had the right man for the job. Since the ROI game at home when GS thought we might make it to France he has started playing to the other teams strengths playing far to deep and given them far to much time on the ball. He would rather draw than get beat even at home to poor teams.They then grow in confidence and instead of us being on top we are then on the back foot. GS has to go if he can't go back to how he started and I don't think he will.

I have changed my mind as looking back over the last 5-7 games and forgetting the early games I just don't think he can change back. Looking at the CB pairing we all know they are not good enough and we know we don't have a lot of choice but to just stick with them and not try anything different is madness. The team he played on Tuesday was to get a draw ( but how do you play for a draw ) GS words. That team was there for the taken if we had got at them and played the right players they would have crumbled but we didn't and we never even tried. Just look at the last 20 mins on Saturday when we do try.

we have been through a lot over the past 20 years but I still believe this is the best squad we have had in that time and if we play are best players in the right positions and go at teams we still have a chance.

1 minute ago, ParisInAKilt said:

Not seen one post that indicates anyone thinks he's the saviour either 

Okay I will put it another way. Even if he starts in games I don't see that making a difference to our results or direction we are heading. I just find it odd that Martin, Fletcher and others before them are lambasted yet have scored for us yet Griffiths hasn't and is held up as a beacon of hope.

2 minutes ago, Caledonian Craig said:

Okay I will put it another way. Even if he starts in games I don't see that making a difference to our results or direction we are heading. I just find it odd that Martin, Fletcher and others before them are lambasted yet have scored for us yet Griffiths hasn't and is held up as a beacon of hope.

:blink:

I don't think he's seen as a "beacon of hope" either. Some fans just want to see him given a fair chance for us. 

4 minutes ago, Caledonian Craig said:

I think you have to look at the opportunities these guys have had and who they got their goals against.

I was quite happy with fletcher starting on Tuesday, it was Chris Martin on Saturday that was more annoying.