Media turning on Strachan? - Page 4 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Media turning on Strachan?

Squirrelhumper

Guest BlueGaz
2 minutes ago, ParisInAKilt said:

:blink:

I don't think he's seen as a "beacon of hope" either. Some fans just want to see him given a fair chance for us. 

:ok: Purely because he is the best we have at the moment.  the game has changed for the better the last 2 times he came on.

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just now, BlueGaz said:

:ok: Purely because he is the best we have at the moment.  the game has changed for the better the last 2 times he came on.

Granted he brightened things up on Tuesday (but that wouldn't have been hard) but on Saturday he fluffed a great chance with a weak header straight at keeper from 8 yards out.

Just now, Caledonian Craig said:

I get that fans want to see him get his chance but I am of the stance that I don't see him as the answer to our goalscoring problems.

I don't think Griffiths is the answer, but if Chris Martin is the answer, I don't understand the question.

:lol:

2 hours ago, Marky said:

He is our 6th highest goal scorer ever.

Since Denis Law retired he is our 3rd highest. Only Dalglish and McCoist have scored more since then.

aaid will be along just now to tell you that all his goals were against shitey teams... 

2 hours ago, Caledonian Craig said:

Granted he brightened things up on Tuesday (but that wouldn't have been hard) but on Saturday he fluffed a great chance with a weak header straight at keeper from 8 yards out.

Or, to put it another way, he got in a position to get a better chance in his short time ont eh pitch, than Chris Martin did in 90 odd minutes... 

26 minutes ago, Parklife said:

aaid will be along just now to tell you that all his goals were against shitey teams... 

Nope, but then saying that he's the third highest goal scorer since Denis Law doesn't really tell the full story either.  18 goals in 69 games doesn't really cut it at international level I'm afraid.  I was actually a fan of Miller and felt that he worked the lone forward role really well and got a lot of unfair criticism.  That said, a prolific goal scorer he was not, but I wish we had the Kenny Miller of 5-10 years ago now.

Arguably we haven't produced clinical striker, capable of scoring at the highest level, since Mo Johnston.

i always think a really good comparison with our forwards over the last 20 years or so has been Robbie Keane.   I don't think anyone would try to claim that he was - to use that much over-used term - a world class player but his international record is exceptional, 68 goals in 148 games.   I think he's a good comparison because the ROI over Keane's career are probably as close to Scotland as it's possible to be, in terms of quality and number of eligible players, the leagues they play in, the teams they've been playing.

To me, it shows how poor our forward options have been especially as there's absolutely no reason why Scotland couldn't have produced a Robbie Keane.

4 hours ago, Squirrelhumper said:

Midfield undeniably better, really? 

Fletcher in his prime vs. Fletcher past his prime.

Barry Ferguson vs. Barry Bannan.

Scott Brown in his prime vs. MacArthur- a player who couldn't get a game ahead of Scott Brown in his thirties.

Faddy vs. Snodgrass post injury. 

Lee McCulloch vs. - OK I'll give you that one. 

Edited by fraz65