Bye bye Gordon - Page 4 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Bye bye Gordon

Squirrelhumper

2 minutes ago, JamDav1982 said:

The quality is there to qualify under the correct manager.

Teams qualifying with poorer or comparable squads is evidence of that.

No it isn't. Arguably, in Walter Smith and Gordon Strachan (in recent times) Scotland have had the most successful club manager in Scotland in charge and guess what? No qualification. We have had Berti Vogts who had success with Germany - guess what? No qualification. There is a glaring pattern there.

• Replies 340
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

17 minutes ago, Caledonian Craig said:

Northern Ireland have ridden their luck with handy draws but not dropped daft points in key matches and that has saw them qualify. 

If people here reckon we are anything other than sub-standard they are kidding themselves. A good gauge of how far Scottish football has fallen from grace in terms of its talent pool is how the clubs do in Europe. Embarrassing over the last few years with all clubs barely getting to the first round proper of Euro competitions whereas when we used to have more quality and qualified for tournies we have club sides such as Celtic, Rangers, Dundee United and Aberdeen all having lengthy runs in Europe.

Slovakian club teams are rampant in the champions league though and usually win it

33 minutes ago, Caledonian Craig said:

I am not saying that. He has to go but people should stop living in the land of fairies and realize that it isn't the last five managers faults we have never qualified it is the utter lack of real; quality needed at this level.

1 minute ago, Caledonian Craig said:

And I am saying Strachan must go but dream on if you thing we will sprout wings and turn into a football team capable of taking on the world.

There seems to be this straw man argument coming that people are saying Scotland should be at major finals and the next manager will get us there.

As far as I can see no one is saying that.

Scotland have an average bunch of players and Strachan is punching below the weight of that squad. Thats why he should go he is out his depth and making us worse. 

Personally I am not looking for qualification as be all and end all I would settle for a manager that plays with a plan, makes us organised and players seem to enjoy playing for. Looking for better than the garbage being served up right now.

If a manager can come in and do that it would be progress and give us a better chance of qualification. Thats enough for me.

Strachan has Scotland in almost a dream group fighting for fourth. Not good enough and right to expect better.

7 minutes ago, JamDav1982 said:

The quality is there to qualify under the correct manager.

Teams qualifying with poorer or comparable squads is evidence of that.

Can you give an example of a comparable or poorer squad who have qualified for a World Cup in recent years?

And I am saying Strachan must go but dream on if you thing we will sprout wings and turn into a football team capable of taking on the world.

Nobody thinks this so I've no idea why you keep saying it

2 minutes ago, fraz65 said:

Can you give an example of a comparable or poorer squad who have qualified for a World Cup in recent years?

In terms of major tournaments a few just qualifed for the Euros.

Northern Ireland for a start.

Plenty of poorer and same standard squads have done just better than Scotland in qualifing for major tournaments without getting there as well.

Edited by JamDav1982

Hate the idea of ditching a manager in the middle of a campaign but we're going nowhere in 2018, so we have to find someone.

But will we replace Regan and the other placement who are quite happy with the humiliating decline of Scottish football as long as they can get TV deals and sponsorship income? Will we replace those running the game at youth level - notice that the U21s have just concluded a pretty dreadful campaign.

We need a root and branch restructuring of the SFA but ut isn't going to happen. Strachan might walk. The rest won't.

I'm pessimistic and I don't really see a solution.

If he's to be replaced, the new guy could try picking the form players, playing them in their correct positions, try talking them up a wee bit, and stop acting like a complete and utter C U N T towards......Well, us really.

Just one or two thoughts....

52 minutes ago, JamDav1982 said:

Never heard before a manager that constantly goes on about how poor/average the players he has to work with are.

But they are .......... decidedly ordinary

1 minute ago, JamDav1982 said:

Has anyone actually claimed that?

Just so people get this daft idea out of their head that managers are the sole reason for our failures. Loiok through our team. Hanley and Martin ain't up to it but they are probably the best options we have and both have not even been first team regulars for their clubs (Championship sides) this season. Darren Fletcher is over the hill but who else do you play in there? We have no striker playing at the very top level in league football and most of our side are outwith the EPL.

Strachan should do the Middlesborough thing and go now.

Nobody thinks Scotland are world beaters, but there's enough of a team there to come up with an international-class team that could give anybody a game, and we're certainly better man-for-man than teams like Northern Ireland etc. We just need the right manager.

Just now, Caledonian Craig said:

Just so people get this daft idea out of their head that managers are the sole reason for our failures. Loiok through our team. Hanley and Martin ain't up to it but they are probably the best options we have and both have not even been first team regulars for their clubs (Championship sides) this season. Darren Fletcher is over the hill but who else do you play in there? We have no striker playing at the very top level in league football and most of our side are outwith the EPL.

You're far too sensible for this forum.