Bye bye Gordon - Page 12 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Bye bye Gordon

Squirrelhumper

• Replies 340
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

4 hours ago, Caledonian Craig said:

Of couse he did ...duh as wanted to concentrate on that job then promptly departed for United.

I'm not going to split hairs over the timing although he stayed at Aberdeen for 4 months after the World Cup before being offered the Man U job.

You were inferring that Ferguson walked out on Scotland for that job,  when he had only agreed to take part time charge until Mexico following Jock Stein's death. He wasn't interested in leaving club management. And as was revealed recently Stein had earmarked Andy Roxburgh as his successor.

Well according to The Mirror, Record and Mail, he is considering QUITTING before the England game, one says talks will take place with SFA before start of next week.

However, an exclusive from the Sun shows how much of a SHIT job Regan and co are doing, the Sun Exclusive is: There is no chance we will sack Strachan!!

The sooner Stewart goes the better, he is deluded if he thinks Strachan should stay!!!!!

No appetite to sack him in the ivory towers, but he is "considering his position" 

mind you this came from keith jackson, so no sure how true it is.

http://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/gordon-strachan-considering-quitting-scotland-9034171

ETA: apologies shaun, hadn't seen your post.

Edited by daddybuc16

16 hours ago, Parklife said:

He demands a lot of his players but what he will do is ensure that every single one of them knows their role inside out. They'll know where on the pitch they should be when we have and haven't got the ball. 

This is something that maybe a lot of the people on here backing Strachan overlook. They're too busy blaming poor players (and we know they're not world beaters), but is the prep work from the coaching staff maybe a bit crap? Do the players know and understand their roles? Do they know their opponents strengths and weaknesses? Bad coaching and instructions can make even top players look bollox.

2 minutes ago, stevenmcn said:

This is something that maybe a lot of the people on here backing Strachan overlook. They're too busy blaming poor players (and we know they're not world beaters), but is the prep work from the coaching staff maybe a bit crap? Do the players know and understand their roles? Do they know their opponents strengths and weaknesses? Bad coaching and instructions can make even top players look bollox.

It's obvious there is a lack of preparation. You only had to look at the other night when at times we let Slovakia have the ball in their own half and then one would player would go and press and look round as If to say where are the rest of you.

There is no plan in place in games, it's all about hoping something happens. Us launching long throws from minute one is a perfect example of that.

11 minutes ago, Mox said:

It's obvious there is a lack of preparation. You only had to look at the other night when at times we let Slovakia have the ball in their own half and then one would player would go and press and look round as If to say where are the rest of you.

There is no plan in place in games, it's all about hoping something happens. Us launching long throws from minute one is a perfect example of that.

Exactly. Steven Pressley had said after watching them v Slovenia we should press them high.

1 minute ago, Third Lanark said:

Exactly. Steven Pressley had said after watching them v Slovenia we should press them high.

Madness that a coach would ignore what a scout has told him. Lambert was on the radio last saying pretty much the same. He would have played pace against their back line and looked to play balls over the top and press them high up the pitch, Griffiths in the last 20 mins confirmed to me that's what we should have done.

I think if England had won in Slovenia then I have no doubts he would have jacked it in. But I think the fact that given we are actually three points behind England and the, albeit very very remote, possibility of a win in London putting us back in the mix will tempt him to stay in the short term. But I wonder if the uncertainty over Strachan's future will have an effect on the player's minds ahead of next month

16 hours ago, Toepoke said:

I'm not going to split hairs over the timing although he stayed at Aberdeen for 4 months after the World Cup before being offered the Man U job.

You were inferring that Ferguson walked out on Scotland for that job,  when he had only agreed to take part time charge until Mexico following Jock Stein's death. He wasn't interested in leaving club management. And as was revealed recently Stein had earmarked Andy Roxburgh as his successor.

But still doesn't say why he has always been one of the first to rule himself out of the job or never throw his hat in the ring. Of course he is a legend as far as football managers go but sadly one that does not have Scotland's interests at heart.

8 minutes ago, Caledonian Craig said:

But still doesn't say why he has always been one of the first to rule himself out of the job or never throw his hat in the ring. Of course he is a legend as far as football managers go but sadly one that does not have Scotland's interests at heart.

Agree with this. He's Scottish, possibly the best ever, his stock cannot lower by taking it as everyone recognises the difficulty of the job. Just wish he would stick his hand up and say, ' this is a crisis, here I am' .  

Just now, Jacques Hunt said:

Agree with this. He's Scottish, possibly the best ever, his stock cannot lower by taking it as everyone recognises the difficulty of the job. Just wish he would stick his hand up and say, ' this is a crisis, here I am' .  

Then again, if he DID take it and we were still Sheyite after 2 years, how deflating would that be for everyone?

1 minute ago, Jacques Hunt said:

Indeed.

I bet if you offered him one last shot at management right now Scotland would not come to mind - it would be United all day long.

17 minutes ago, Caledonian Craig said:

But still doesn't say why he has always been one of the first to rule himself out of the job or never throw his hat in the ring. Of course he is a legend as far as football managers go but sadly one that does not have Scotland's interests at hea

17 minutes ago, Caledonian Craig said:

He didn't take it because he was managing man utd, its no hard to work out. Do you expect him to ditch that and take on a part time job? I'm not really sure what you are getting at here.

6 minutes ago, vanderark14 said:

He didn't take it because he was managing man utd, its no hard to work out. Do you expect him to ditch that and take on a part time job? I'm not really sure what you are getting at here.

I am getting at the clarity that Fergie ain't interested. I've never once heard him say he'd love the job one day and has been quick to rule himself out in the past and as sure as eggs are eggs when Strachan goes I am pretty sure you won't see him showing interest in it or any role at the SFA either which is a sad indictment of him.

Edited by Caledonian Craig

1 minute ago, Caledonian Craig said:

I am getting at the clarity that Fergie ain't interested. I've never once heard him say he'd love the job one day and has been quick to rule himself out in the past and as sure as eggs are eggs when Strachan goes I am pretty sure you won't see him showing interest in it or any role at the SFA either which is a sad indictment.

why would he though? He was on top of the world with Man Utd and more than likely didn't want a part time position. 

3 minutes ago, vanderark14 said:

why would he though? He was on top of the world with Man Utd and more than likely didn't want a part time position. 

Pride in his nation? A bid to resurrect Scotland as a footballing nation? As I said others have tried and failed and tarnished themselves doing it in the public's eye so the national job has become a poisonous chalice. Thinking of it like that leads me to believe we are best going abroad for next manager.

And if he sticks true to his word he ruled himself forever out of the Scotland job in 2001 as in a Herald report which says:-

Ferguson has already had one spell as Scotland manager

following the death of Jock Stein in 1985, but he insists that there is no chance of him doing the job again. He will be 60 next year and admits he would jump at the chance to succeed Craig Brown in charge of the international team, if he was 10 years younger.

1 hour ago, Caledonian Craig said:

Fergie was offered the job after Burley was sacked according to this report and turned it down:-

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2009/sep/03/alex-ferguson-scotland-job

In his late 60s, manger of the biggest club in the world and you wonder why he turned down the chance to take on an additional job on a part time basis? Heart attack waiting to happen.