Next manager - Page 3 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Next manager

Bennyal

This thread sadly reflects how poor our options are.

It also reflects how many seem to forget our pool of players isn't that great and a realistic choice of manager would still have a hard slog.

Obviously Tango Man is the best bet.

Edited by fringo

• Replies 352
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

3 minutes ago, fringo said:

Lambert is one of the few realistic possibilities but is he any better than Strachan ? Probably not.

I might be wrong, but he probably did a better job at Villa than what he got credit for, considering the conditions he had to work with. His time in Germany, might also give him a different view of the game tactically. Didn't he do his coaching badges over there?

1 minute ago, stevenmcn said:

I might be wrong, but he probably did a better job at Villa than what he got credit for, considering the conditions he had to work with. His time in Germany, might also give him a different view of the game tactically. Didn't he do his coaching badges over there?

I actually like Lambert but maybe I just don't know if another change would actually do better with out current crop of players.

After tonight and Saturday it would suggest WGS can't stay much longer, so Lambert would get my vote if a change was made.

It's been a painful and tiring few days watching Scotland (on TV) so I'm off to bed to see what I awaken to tomorrow.

McInnes - definitely not: his career trajectory is almost an exact replica of Levein's

Lambert - uninspiring: he'd continue to ignore the likes of McCormack and Rhodes. Too much of a Strachan clone

McLeis, Smith etc: geiz peace

My solution: at least talk to lagerback, ferguson etc. Give them a chance to tell us to feck off. They might even be up for it.

There's no stand out candidate out there but I'd like to see us get someone more upbeat than lambert, and someone attacking minded. He seems be out of the limelight now but I'd love someone like kevin keegan. Would prefer to see us at least having a go and get beat than the boring football being served up just now and getting beat anyway. 

1 minute ago, Ohhhh diego maradona said:

There's no stand out candidate out there but I'd like to see us get someone more upbeat than lambert, and someone attacking minded. He seems be out of the limelight now but I'd love someone like kevin keegan. Would prefer to see us at least having a go and get beat than the boring football being served up just now and getting beat anyway. 

Know where you're coming from but you don't want to end up with another George Burley

18 minutes ago, ParisInAKilt said:

What qualifies Lambert for the job? 

He did a phenomenal job at Norwich, his spell at Villa looks less and less bad with every failure that follows him... he's the best we can get, quick (rather than dream about a Bielsa, etc.)

If that team tonight go a goal or two behind at Wembley under Strachan... well, we can all imagine what might happen. Forget the structure, the SFA, the long term for a minute (that's for a different thread): we need a new manager in right now who will help stop us degenerating into a total laughing stock. For me that's Lambert...

Roy Hodgson would be a better choice than any of those mentioned above.

Hugely experienced and he did well with Switzerland, with a 100% qualification record with England.

He failed at major tournaments but so did Sven, Capello, Hoddle and Keegan.

Lambert would just be another Levein.

4 minutes ago, fraz65 said:

Roy Hodgson would be a better choice than any of those mentioned above.

Hugely experienced and he did well with Switzerland, with a 100% qualification record with England.

He failed at major tournaments but so did Sven, Capello, Hoddle and Keegan.

Lambert would just be another Levein.

In what way does Lambert compare to Levein? Whoever we end up with, that's total garbage.

I feel the SFA have blown it this time. So many fans have had enough. I can't see there being 27,000 ssc members for the next campaign, or as many people paying £40 a ticket to watch the dross that's on offer. They've milked the fans loyalty for years but may be about to get a shock when attendances and memberships start to dwindle. 

2 hours ago, Caledonian Craig said:

Are you smoking opium. Sir Alex is a legend but like so many of those they wouldn't touch the Scotland job with a bargepole. Five or six times in the last 10 to 15 years we have searched for a manager and he has NEVER put his hat in the ring. 

Sir Alex always said he would never take the Scotland job while he was in charge at man utd now he has retired from managing them I'd call him in.

Worth it to give Lars a sounding as he could hopefully change the mindset of Scottish football. Wonder how serve Clarke would do in the Scotland job. Yes he hasn't done it as a manager at club level but might just do it at international level. Lambert could do well for us but we will probably end up getting another failure

Remember, Paul Lambert wasn't even rated as a player when he was at Motherwell, (Did he get picked for Scotland in that time?)

Motherwell played Borussia Dortmund in a Uefa cup tie, and Ottmar Hitzeld saw him as a player and signed him up. The following year, Lambert was part of the Dortmund team that won the Champions League. We do have talent, but we don't recognise it. After that, Brown had Lambert as a regular.

Our current bunch of internationalists are under acheiving.

Strachan walked from from Middlesbroough when it wasn't working out, why not Scotland ?

35 minutes ago, Alt-Del said:

In what way does Lambert compare to Levein? Whoever we end up with, that's total garbage.

A dour, un-inspirational ex-player who failed in his most recent appointment at a high-profile midlands club, with no prior international pedigree as a manager.

There are a few similarities.

As i've stated previously though, even Sir Alex wouldn't qualify our current squad for a World Cup. 

The Euros are a different matter- with the right draw and a bit of good fortune Strachan would probably manage qualification to the expanded tournament, so it's possible Lambert or an alternative choice would achieve it.