Next manager - Page 4 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Next manager

Bennyal

5 minutes ago, fraz65 said:

A dour, un-inspirational ex-player who failed in his most recent appointment at a high-profile midlands club, with no prior international pedigree as a manager.

There are a few similarities.

As i've stated previously though, even Sir Alex wouldn't qualify our current squad for a World Cup. 

The Euros are a different matter- with the right draw and a bit of good fortune Strachan would probably manage qualification to the expanded tournament, so it's possible Lambert or an alternative choice would achieve it.

How would Strachan manage it? He didn't last time.

• Replies 352
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1 minute ago, fraz65 said:

A dour, un-inspirational ex-player who failed in his most recent appointment at a high-profile midlands club, with no prior international pedigree as a manager.

There are a few similarities.

As i've stated previously though, even Sir Alex wouldn't qualify our current squad for a World Cup. 

The Euros are a different matter- with the right draw and a bit of good fortune Strachan would probably manage qualification to the expanded tournament, so it's possible Lambert or an alternative choice would achieve it.

So you'd be OK with Lambert, aye?

And if you're comparing Levein's time at Leicester with Lambert's at AV (quite apart from the rest of their careers), you really have lost the plot.

I really enjoyed watching the team under Big Eck's tenure; he didn't mind playing two up front. He did do a Judas which was shit but he was only 48 at the time. He's older now and he's has had a tough few years lately, maybe he would appreciate it more now. For me, it's either Big Eck or Kenny, although I doubt Dalglish would take it now, maybe he might have after his spell at Liverpool, but I doubt it now.

3 minutes ago, Alt-Del said:

So you'd be OK with Lambert, aye?

And if you're comparing Levein's time at Leicester with Lambert's at AV (quite apart from the rest of their careers), you really have lost the plot.

I don't really know or remember all that much about either manager's spell in England to be honest, only the occasional viewing of a dreadful Villa side on MOTD, although he did sign Benteke.

"Lost the plot" is a bit harsh.

Just now, delboy109 said:

We'll probably be in a harder group because our seeding will probably be lower because Strachan is hopeless.

It's possible.

Why does the ability of the squad always escape censure when past failures are being discussed?

I'm uneasy with the knee-jerk reaction of blaming the manager every two years.

Is it too difficult to admit that the squad has been poor for 20-plus years and only likely to get worse? 

To be fair to Lambert, I think he left Norwich far to early and yes his Villa tenure was crap but so was Di Matteo who had won a European cup so maybe Lambert isn't a bad manager after all.

I am now warming to him being gaffer with Joe Jordan as assistant plus one other, preferebly McAllister.

I am surprised Joe Jordan hasn't been touted, he is nearly ALWAYS high up in the betting odds.

4 minutes ago, fraz65 said:

I don't really know or remember all that much about either manager's spell in England to be honest, only the occasional viewing of a dreadful Villa side on MOTD, although he did sign Benteke.

"Lost the plot" is a bit harsh.

Don't think it is... there's no planet on which Lambert is even vaguely comparable to Levein... especially on the planet where we need a manager pronto who might stop this descending into all-time humiliation territory...

What Lambert did in his three years at Norwich are something no current Scottish manager has on their CV and Villa -- like Sunderland -- is a graveyard for managers. Levein had moderate success at Hearts, then bombed at Leicester... and ended up doing the near impossible, taking us lower than Vogts and Burley had done.

Strachan's done, so if not Lambert... who?

4 hours ago, Shaun said:

To be fair to Lambert, I think he left Norwich far to early and yes his Villa tenure was crap but so was Di Matteo who had won a European cup so maybe Lambert isn't a bad manager after all.

I am now warming to him being gaffer with Joe Jordan as assistant plus one other, preferebly McAllister.

I am surprised Joe Jordan hasn't been touted, he is nearly ALWAYS high up in the betting odds.

On the other hand Lamberts spell with Blackburn didn't last long after Villa.  He did a good job at Colchester and Norwich at first but his recent record is not as strong.  

4 hours ago, Alt-Del said:

Don't think it is... there's no planet on which Lambert is even vaguely comparable to Levein... especially on the planet where we need a manager pronto who might stop this descending into all-time humiliation territory...

What Lambert did in his three years at Norwich are something no current Scottish manager has on their CV and Villa -- like Sunderland -- is a graveyard for managers. Levein had moderate success at Hearts, then bombed at Leicester... and ended up doing the near impossible, taking us lower than Vogts and Burley had done.

Strachan's done, so if not Lambert... who?

I'm no fan of Levein's but he did well at Dundee United and has now had two successful spells at Hearts. 

Lambert lasted six months at Blackburn, with a 36% win ratio.

He left Norwich in 2012 and has been a failure since.

I'm not convinced he would be any better than Strachan.

After hearing last nights press conference Strachan isn't going anywhere. He firmly believes we will get the results to finish 2nd but I can't see it, we never looked like scoring tonight and that first half against Lithuania was one of the dullest in memory, it was so bad it compares to Serbia a few years ago, dull. He will soldier on i fear

17 minutes ago, Bennyal said:

After hearing last nights press conference Strachan isn't going anywhere. He firmly believes we will get the results to finish 2nd but I can't see it, we never looked like scoring tonight and that first half against Lithuania was one of the dullest in memory, it was so bad it compares to Serbia a few years ago, dull. He will soldier on i fear

100% agree. He'll trot out the 'we're only three points behind top' bullshit to hang on, whilst forgetting to mention we'll most likely have to win every remaining fixture to even have a chance of finishing second.

If we get another manager, it might be true he'll do no better, but i would like someone who does the simple stuff right, like playing players who are on form ahead of others who are even struggling for game time/goals

Edited by Bobby Russell's Lovechild

Changing the manager won't make much of a difference. We don't have the players to make an impact at international level and we won't until our domestic game changes substantially so that better players are produced. 

Edited by biffer

2 minutes ago, biffer said:

Changing the manager won't make much of a difference. We don't have the players to make an impact at international level and we won't until our domestic game changes substantially so that better players are produced. 

Maybe not, but the least that is expected of a manager is to pick the right players and in their correct positions which Strachan is not able to do. 

3 minutes ago, biffer said:

The domestic game is irrelevant. It doesn't seem to impact on either of the Ireland's or many other sides around Europe 

changing the manager will make a difference as long a Scotland the new manager is willing to play the right players and get th best out of what we have.

Someone who can tell the players that it's not the best idea to leave strikers standing in the box with nobody near them would be a good start.  Maybe the new man can also relay the message to our captain that he doesn't have to stand and watch a player in light years of space right in front of goal, but that he can do something radical like track back and cover, maybe even put a challenge in.

I think its time for a total outsider with no baggage - there are plenty of players not even making the squad who play in England and Scotland who WGS has fallen out with or won't even give half a chance and it's hurting us.

we need an outsider with as others say has no old pals act. strachan is also i feel always thinking of the players and their clubs and doesnt want to tire them out if not playing,scared to bring them if their not going to play etc i know i will be in minority but apart from centre backs which is a very important position i think we have loads of options of players. all this needing a striker as a focal point is ok if you have great players round about him but we only have good players not great so we need players with goal threat who score goals and our main 2 were not given full games there griffiths/burke why oh why/

15 hours ago, JamDav1982 said:

Collins ends up hated by the players of clubs he is at. Need a set up players look forward going away to not another arrogant twat like Collins.

Aye because he makes them train, gets them fit and tries to impose a professuonal lifestyle regime on them instead of letting them feck off to the bookies then get pissed.

Poor wee darlings.

Like him or loathe him, if anyone in Scotland has the experience of how footballers should live and train and work hard to become the best they possibly can, then it is Collins. I don't give a toss if he is arrogant or not. If he is, then he has good reason to be.

But I'm not sure he'd be right for Scotland as you can't impose what needs to be imposed as an international manager and he'd be immensely frustrated and unable to work with some of the unfit dross that turns up in a Scotland trackie every few weeks.