Next manager - Page 5 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Next manager

Bennyal

12 hours ago, Highland Toffee Trafficker said:

I really enjoyed watching the team under Big Eck's tenure; he didn't mind playing two up front. He did do a Judas which was shit but he was only 48 at the time. He's older now and he's has had a tough few years lately, maybe he would appreciate it more now. For me, it's either Big Eck or Kenny, although I doubt Dalglish would take it now, maybe he might have after his spell at Liverpool, but I doubt it now.

Dalglish is like Fergie - a legend who has avoided the Scotland job like the plague when it has been up for grabs in the past. That has taken them down in my estimation. Okay those that have taken the job have failed but at least they gave it a go.

• Replies 352
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

7 hours ago, fraz65 said:

I'm no fan of Levein's but he did well at Dundee United and has now had two successful spells at Hearts. 

Lambert lasted six months at Blackburn, with a 36% win ratio.

He left Norwich in 2012 and has been a failure since.

I'm not convinced he would be any better than Strachan.

If not Lambert... who?

Looks like it's become a non-question overnight, though... I've had a lot of time for Strachan, but failure to acknowledge he's done in this job is disappointing... managers know when they're done (as he did at Middlesborough... and as Lambert did, by the way, much quicker in different circumstances at Blackburn).

4 minutes ago, Caledonian Craig said:

Dalglish is like Fergie - a legend who has avoided the Scotland job like the plague when it has been up for grabs in the past. That has taken them down in my estimation. Okay those that have taken the job have failed but at least they gave it a go.

Agreed. Might be legends but there's a gaping hole in their reputation for refusing to test themselves when their country repeatedly came calling. Strachan didn't have to take the job on but was willing to give it a go and he'll always have my respect for it despite how it's turned out.

5 minutes ago, Auld_Reekie said:

Agreed. Might be legends but there's a gaping hole in their reputation for refusing to test themselves when their country repeatedly came calling. Strachan didn't have to take the job on but was willing to give it a go and he'll always have my respect for it despite how it's turned out.

Spot on. I am sure though you will get defenders of Fergie and Dalglish claiming they've never been approached but evidently they have NEVER thrown their hat in the ring. If they had then the job would have been theirs.

Edited by Caledonian Craig

2 hours ago, Alt-Del said:

If not Lambert... who?

Looks like it's become a non-question overnight, though... I've had a lot of time for Strachan, but failure to acknowledge he's done in this job is disappointing... managers know when they're done (as he did at Middlesborough... and as Lambert did, by the way, much quicker in different circumstances at Blackburn).

Em, any number of foreign managers who could be interested ?

Why does it have to be a Scot ? 

Guest BlueGaz
1 minute ago, ErsatzThistle said:

You love to repeat yourself.

You love to repeat yourself.

1 minute ago, BlueGaz said:

No, think it is time for change.

Great :ok:

Too many people still think that around the world people view Scottish football managers and coaches as being football experts who are a cut above the rest. Em, they don't.

The current crop of Scottish managers is fecking dire and that's why we need to end the "Scottish managers only" tradition.

Then you've got the idiots who somehow genuinely believe that Dalglish, Ferguson, Smith, McLeish, Souness and Jordan actually want to manage our third rate, pish national team. :lol:

11 minutes ago, ErsatzThistle said:

It doesn't... it has to be the best manager we can get. If there are foreign coaches who would come for what the SFA will pay who are better than Lambert, great. Said above that I'd love to see someone like Bielsa, but I think we're probably kidding ourselves on. In retrospect, we know we'd have been much better with Lagerback than Levein, but that ship's sailed.

So... if not Lambert, who?

7 minutes ago, Alt-Del said:

It doesn't... it has to be the best manager we can get. If there are foreign coaches who would come for what the SFA will pay who are better than Lambert, great. Said above that I'd love to see someone like Bielsa, but I think we're probably kidding ourselves on. In retrospect, we know we'd have been much better with Lagerback than Levein, but that ship's sailed.

So... if not Lambert, who?

I'd be over the moon if we could get Eddie Howe or Sean Dyche to take over. But that's me being a fantasist.

Two grasping at straws suggestions. If Mark Hughes or Aitor Karanka become available soon, the SFA should at least ask them if they are interested. If not then fine, move on but it wouldn't do any harm to ask.

I know I'm a bit late coming in here but we've tried the home grown managers for 10 years now and got no where. What harm would come of trying a foreigner? We certainly couldn't get any worse.

I personally think Mick McCarthy wouldn't be a bad shout. Nigel Pearson is out of work, but I'm not sure how a English manager would go down. 

Just now, Dalgliesh93 said:

I know I'm a bit late coming in here but we've tried the home grown managers for 10 years now and got no where. What harm would come of trying a foreigner? We certainly couldn't get any worse.

I personally think Mick McCarthy wouldn't be a bad shout. Nigel Pearson is out of work, but I'm not sure how a English manager would go down. 

Mick McCarthy is an excellent suggestion and would certainly get my vote :ok:

Pearson is a borderline unhinged, bully though. Best avoided

I wouldn't have the slightest issue with an English manager.

In fact anyone with a brain shouldn't have any issue with the manager being English. For anyone to oppose us having an English manager, it's frankly just outright xenophobia. 

1 hour ago, ErsatzThistle said:

I'd be over the moon if we could get Eddie Howe or Sean Dyche to take over. But that's me being a fantasist.

Two grasping at straws suggestions. If Mark Hughes or Aitor Karanka become available soon, the SFA should at least ask them if they are interested. If not then fine, move on but it wouldn't do any harm to ask.

Mark Hughes? NO × 100, he is a failure, apart from his Stoke tenure until this season.

Aitor Karanka? NO, he is no much better.

Took a very average Wales (Giggs, Bellamy + perhaps Speed & Hartson being their only players of note) painfully close to qualification for Euro 2004. Manged to get wins against teams such as Germany and Italy and draw with Argentina too. You may have also forgotten how his Welsh team, spanked us 4-0 in Cardiff.

Hughes is worth considering.

Any manager currently employed in the EPL is out of the question (whether or not you'd want some of those mentioned)... Either somebody currently out of a job, or somebody further down the foodchain, somebody who'd take on an unpromising situation for a relatively low (for them) wage... so probably a Scot.

Would highly recommend ye going after Chris Hughton .

Has experience in international football not just as a player but more importantly in this case as an international assistant manager. He was brian kerr's #2 during kerrs tenure in charge of us btwn 2002 - 2005.

Add in his record at club level management ...think he wud be perfect for Scotland

What about Steve Clarke? Really highly rated as a coach, been at some big clubs (Newcastle, Chelsea, West ham, liverpool) assistant to some top managers (mourinho, Kenny dal, maybe gullit) Had 2 years as manager of WBA. Just checked Wikipedia and it says he lead west Bromwich to a record 8th place finish in premiership. Plus just left villa. And he's Scottish!! Can't really be any other manager out there with better credentials! 

4 minutes ago, Ohhhh diego maradona said:

What about Steve Clarke? Really highly rated as a coach, been at some big clubs (Newcastle, Chelsea, West ham, liverpool) assistant to some top managers (mourinho, Kenny dal, maybe gullit) Had 2 years as manager of WBA. Just checked Wikipedia and it says he lead west Bromwich to a record 8th place finish in premiership. Plus just left villa. And he's Scottish!! Can't really be any other manager out there with better credentials! 

:ok:

40 minutes ago, Ohhhh diego maradona said:

Steve Clarke is surely the best option if Strachan goes. Sacked very harshly at both WBA and Reading.

9 hours ago, Caledonian Craig said:

Spot on. I am sure though you will get defenders of Fergie and Dalglish claiming they've never been approached but evidently they have NEVER thrown their hat in the ring. If they had then the job would have been theirs.

Definitely. There would be parasites at the SFA who wouldn't want Fergie or The King to be manager of Scotland, only because these two are probably, if not definitely, the most powerful men in Scottish football. When these two speak, not only Scotland, but whole footballing world listen and those wee shysters at the SFA would be knocked right off their perches. If one of them had to say that they fancied the job then there would be no if, buts, or maybes. As you say, they've never shown an interest which is disappointing.