Next manager - Page 7 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Next manager

Bennyal

This Should be Fun!!

Malky Mackay did a decent enough Job for Us At Cardiff City, until some 'Wayward Texts' surfaced !! Finally got us promoted to The Premier League, and I'm convinced he would have Kept us there, if the Situation was handled a little differently.  He Certainly shows a Passion for The Job, and He's Available

• Replies 352
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

McIness apparently bookies favourite.

Another uninspiring manager who has achieved hee haw.

It will be Mutley or McCall no doubt.

To be honest if the next appointment is as lackluster as we all think it could be it will signal a mass exodus of fans.

2 hours ago, macy37 said:

McIness apparently bookies favourite.

Another uninspiring manager who has achieved hee haw.

It will be Mutley or McCall no doubt.

To be honest if the next appointment is as lackluster as we all think it could be it will signal a mass exodus of fans.

He's joint favourite with Lambert. I cant see it being any of those 3 you mention as it means they'll need to pay compensation, though they did do that with Levein. I notice Lagerback has moved up to 10/1 4th favourite.

6 hours ago, bluebird27 said:

This Should be Fun!!

Malky Mackay did a decent enough Job for Us At Cardiff City, until some 'Wayward Texts' surfaced !! Finally got us promoted to The Premier League, and I'm convinced he would have Kept us there, if the Situation was handled a little differently.  He Certainly shows a Passion for The Job, and He's Available

At least he wouldn't have to pick any Asians.

10 hours ago, fraz65 said:

Craig Levein (with a 41% win ratio) after 24.

:lol: Aye, those big easy friendlies he played really did distort his record. I'm not even going to keep debating with someone who comes out with this kind of nonsense. 

1 hour ago, Parklife said:

:lol: Aye, those big easy friendlies he played really did distort his record. I'm not even going to keep debating with someone who comes out with this kind of nonsense. 

The point you made was about the length of time it takes the SFA to sack a manager, in relation to Michael O'Neill keeping his job after three wins in thirty games.

Which manager was it that you were referring to- Craig Brown? Nobody else has been in charge for much longer than thirty games.

Due to the lack of decent Scottish managers then we need to be bolder, be willing to pay the going rate and look abroad. There must be decent foreign coaches out there who are desperate to get back into work. Think someone mentioned Lagerback but at 68 think he would be too old. Think he was retiring anyway.

Don't understand the clamour for McInnes. The similarities with Levein's are striking. Relatively modest playing career, modest management career and bombed in England. Would strike me as a typical SFA appointment - cheap and utterly uninspiring

The Scottish correspondent for the Guardian put Michael O'Neill’s name into the ring. He lives in Scotland, he knows Scottish Football and look what he has done with an even worse squad than our lot.

Not sure if he’d come to us, worth an investigation in nothing else.

8 minutes ago, kmcca5 said:

The Scottish correspondent for the Guardian put Michael O'Neill’s name into the ring. He lives in Scotland, he knows Scottish Football and look what he has done with an even worse squad than our lot.

Hands off MON as he's staying at Windsor! Massive game against Azerbaijan next month and if he does leave it will be for a club football. 

He'd get you organised and strong defensively although we do have the benefit of having a settled squad and system of play. We also have the benefit of Evans and Big G instead of Hanley and Russell Martin?

Credit to Mox for his Bielsa shout. I couldn't think of someone better suited to us. He has loads of experience, knows international football, has a track record of bringing through young players (at both club and National level) and plays a more attacking brand of football than we've seen Scotland play for quite some time. 

It'd definitely be worth seeing his interest. No way would any of the dumplings at the SFA think outside of people who are from or have worked in the British Isles though. 

12 minutes ago, kmcca5 said:

I can't imagine O'Neill would be on that great a salary with NI so if we were looking at a cheap option then on that basis I think we would be more than able to outstrip NI. He would be working with better players as well were he to come. Plus, he would have the team well organised and difficult to beat.

It's a decent shout.

1 minute ago, King Of Paisley said:

I can't imagine O'Neill would be on that great a salary with NI so if we were looking at a cheap option then on that basis I think we would be more than able to outstrip NI. He would be working with better players as well were he to come. Plus, he would have the team well organised and difficult to beat.

It's a decent shout.

£500k a year for 4 years and a £750k release clause signed before the Euros. 

21 minutes ago, kmcca5 said:

I wonder if he could replicate it, and would we have the patience if it took him a while to settle in.

I also wonder if he's had an element of luck, but he certainly got done decent results and then built on them.

Gordon Strachan started with some decent results and performances and for some reason we've gone backwards.

If we want a lucky manager though,do we need to look further than Alex Mcleish? 

3 minutes ago, sbcmfc said:

I wonder if he could replicate it, and would we have the patience if it took him a while to settle in.

I also wonder if he's had an element of luck, but he certainly got done decent results and then built on them.

Gordon Strachan started with some decent results and performances and for some reason we've gone backwards.

If we want a lucky manager though,do we need to look further than Alex Mcleish? 

He didn't have an element of luck in the WCQ for Brazilian 2014 when results were pretty poor. Performances were generally decent and selection far better that that clown Worthington. He has also brought in most of his own coaches for the under age teams and been proactive in trying to stop the Republic set up interfering with our kids which his name sake down south also seems to dislike.

18 minutes ago, dave said:

He didn't have an element of luck in the WCQ for Brazilian 2014 when results were pretty poor. Performances were generally decent and selection far better that that clown Worthington. He has also brought in most of his own coaches for the under age teams and been proactive in trying to stop the Republic set up interfering with our kids which his name sake down south also seems to dislike.

Fair enough.

Sounds like he's tried to set things up behind the scenes going forward which is great.

Again I wonder if we would have the patience to write off a campaign or 2 for this to bare fruit.

Having said that. He'd be starting in my opinion with a slightly stronger group of players (on paper) than he has now and took to the euros.

The fact you won your group is particularly impressive.

6 minutes ago, sbcmfc said:

Fair enough.

Sounds like he's tried to set things up behind the scenes going forward which is great.

Again I wonder if we would have the patience to write off a campaign or 2 for this to bare fruit.

Having said that. He'd be starting in my opinion with a slightly stronger group of players (on paper) than he has now and took to the euros.

The fact you won your group is particularly impressive.

Winning the group is what a lot of folk seem to forget. We did benefit from Greece being absolutely rotten after the World Cup but we got a few decent results very early on in the group which gave the players confidence and built momentum which is what Scotland have failed to achieve for the first 3 games of this campaign. 

Your players seem bereft of any confidence and don't seem to have a set pattern of play which ultimately comes from the manager. 

Your group this time round isn't that difficult to be honest and if Strachan can't finish 2nd with a decent squad of players then he should walk. 

IFA took a huge gamble appointing MON when everyone seemed to want Magilton or Dowie or an experienced name. Maybe the SFA should go for someone similar who may not have the experience but is a good coach and has a different  approach to the game. You've went for experience and old heads before and it hasn't worked since France 98 so why not give it to a younger guy. Billy McKinley, Cathro, Clarke - there must be other young highly thought of coaches out there although Billy Stark will probably get the gig?

Would it be worth a wild gamble (if Strachan leaves or is sacked) to appoint Deigo Maradona? Any 'normal' manager will need the rest of this campaign to build a squad and playing style but a character like Maradona may just be able to pull off a miracle before blowing up. ? 

2 hours ago, Tartacus said:

Would it be worth a wild gamble (if Strachan leaves or is sacked) to appoint Deigo Maradona? Any 'normal' manager will need the rest of this campaign to build a squad and playing style but a character like Maradona may just be able to pull off a miracle before blowing up. ? 

You currently have the crown for the most ridiculous suggestion haha :)

Always hard to say what's going on when the SFA are involved, but this looks very much like a 'mutual consent' announcement after the England game... My guess is they're looking at Wembley as a write-off or a free hit and that there's nothing to be gained by having a new manager start with a skelping, especially there. Either defeatist or pragmatic... take your pick.

Beyond that, only Lambert or Clarke (with reservations) make any sense, unless (dream on) they restructure what they pay on a speculate-to-accumulate basis... not convinced by Michael O'Neill, who's probably in exactly the job he should be in; no guarantee he can do something similar with Scotland (best part of their squad is probably central defence, for example).