Next manager - Page 8 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Next manager

Bennyal

2 hours ago, Alt-Del said:

Always hard to say what's going on when the SFA are involved, but this looks very much like a 'mutual consent' announcement after the England game... My guess is they're looking at Wembley as a write-off or a free hit and that there's nothing to be gained by having a new manager start with a skelping, especially there. Either defeatist or pragmatic... take your pick.

Beyond that, only Lambert or Clarke (with reservations) make any sense, unless (dream on) they restructure what they pay on a speculate-to-accumulate basis... not convinced by Michael O'Neill, who's probably in exactly the job he should be in; no guarantee he can do something similar with Scotland (best part of their squad is probably central defence, for example).

Why does Lambert make any sense , he has been an abject failure for years and now he is touting himself round the radio studios . To prove my case he was claiming at the start of the week that Chris Martin was  a brilliant finisher  .

• Replies 352
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Personally if a manager came in and said he was building a team for the future but that could mean not qualifying for the next campaign I would give him the chance as long as we seen progress. As others have said wgs started well and seemed to be building a team with confidence that could play but at some point it all started to crumble an now he seems to be saying one thing but doing another. Is it any wonder we bemoan him with some of the choices he has been making

7 hours ago, hunchy said:

Personally if a manager came in and said he was building a team for the future but that could mean not qualifying for the next campaign I would give him the chance as long as we seen progress. As others have said wgs started well and seemed to be building a team with confidence that could play but at some point it all started to crumble an now he seems to be saying one thing but doing another. Is it any wonder we bemoan him with some of the choices he has been making

Have you seen our u-21's

i'd give McLeish another go, against all my principles 

thats how how desperate has become

19 hours ago, Tartacus said:

Would it be worth a wild gamble (if Strachan leaves or is sacked) to appoint Deigo Maradona? Any 'normal' manager will need the rest of this campaign to build a squad and playing style but a character like Maradona may just be able to pull off a miracle before blowing up. ? 

Maradona/Ardilles dream team.  Superb :ok:

2 minutes ago, HIGHTOWER 1314 said:

Souness and gary mac for me.Souness to bring the fire back to the bellies and gary mac to get the team passing forward to each other.

I think McCallister would be a fantastic addition, alongside Ian Cathro

4 minutes ago, HIGHTOWER 1314 said:

Souness and gary mac for me.Souness to bring the fire back to the bellies and gary mac to get the team passing forward to each other.

Not for me. Souness has never really rocked my boat as a manager I am afraid. I do feel Gary Mac would make a good number 2 to a Scotland manager in the future.

Strachan thought about jacking it after last campaign but the fannies who roared his name made him stay on....now he's thinking about jumping ship again however is staying on for the time being.

How weak are the SFA exactly. Bullet him and get him tae f**k. Pathetic.

Souness? F**k that! He would be another disaster. It has to be someone who is active in the game at the moment. Someone who is capable & willing to try different systems  based on the players available, rather than trying to mould them into a fixed set-up.

Possibly even try a younger manager on his way up with a point to prove, rather than the old "last job" crew.

Michael O'Neill would fit the bill beautifully, IMO. With possibly Willie Miller alongside for his defensive expertise.

51 minutes ago, northernscum said:

Souness? F**k that! He would be another disaster. It has to be someone who is active in the game at the moment. Someone who is capable & willing to try different systems  based on the players available, rather than trying to mould them into a fixed set-up.

Possibly even try a younger manager on his way up with a point to prove, rather than the old "last job" crew.

Michael O'Neill would fit the bill beautifully, IMO. With possibly Willie Miller alongside for his defensive expertise.

Sourness has said he no longer wants to be a manager. Seems happy enough doing punditry for Sky

The next manager needs to tick a few boxes for me.

• Hasnt been out of work for years
  • Can answer questions without being a tosser
  • Can pick players based on form and ability
  • Can pick a formation and tactics to suit our players available, and our opposition
  • Can analyse a game without needing to lie about everything

Until we know a position is available, you never know who will be both interested and a viable option. Euro 2018 is gone, and not even with a whimper, lets get someone in place, preferably someone who isnt Scottish, someone who the media dont think is their pal, and someone with some belief and fortitude. Other countries manage to get a decent manager, yet we get bellend after bellend, the SFA are comically inept, allowing Strachan time to consider if he wanted to stay was both a sign of them not being fit for purpose, and a sign that Strachan wasnt the man they needed.

Could Strachan not stick with his media duties, save everyone the hassle.

John Hughes for me.

Gets dismissed as an option for big jobs because people see him as being a bit dim.

However, he's shown he's a very capable manager, would likely not be scared to give young players a chance, is passionate about Scotland and wouldn't cost the earth either.

We're crying out for someone to come in and have the balls to do things differently, and I think he would happily shake things up a bit.

Compared to some of these so called bigger names like Lambert, Moyes and McLeish, I think he is a decent option worth thinking about.

10 hours ago, Sempre said:

John Hughes for me.

Gets dismissed as an option for big jobs because people see him as being a bit dim.

However, he's shown he's a very capable manager, would likely not be scared to give young players a chance, is passionate about Scotland and wouldn't cost the earth either.

We're crying out for someone to come in and have the balls to do things differently, and I think he would happily shake things up a bit.

Compared to some of these so called bigger names like Lambert, Moyes and McLeish, I think he is a decent option worth thinking about.

No, no and no again!!!

First of all, he is linked with Shrewsbury and secondly, apart from 1 season at ICTFC, he has failed.

I am an ICT fan and was GLAD to get rid of him at end of last season.

He would be miles WORSE than Levein/Burley combined.

On 10/15/2016 at 3:57 PM, kumnio said:

The next manager needs to tick a few boxes for me.

• Hasnt been out of work for years
  • Can answer questions without being a tosser
  • Can pick players based on form and ability
  • Can pick a formation and tactics to suit our players available, and our opposition
  • Can analyse a game without needing to lie about everything

Tommy Wright.