What can we do better? - Page 5 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

22 hours ago, irish said:

I'd imagine 5 points from the next 3 games with England (twice) & Solvenia at home would be the realistic aim?

I would take that right now. It might not be enough to get us back into serious contention but much better than our recent form would suggest we can get. I think we will be closer to 1 point from those three games than 5 though, based on current form.

We can do loads of thing better with the same players/formation/tactics.

How about we start with a plan of what to do when we win a corner? At the moment Ritchie comes up and floats the ball in, we don't win it and are susceptible to a counter attack. Previous campaign it was Maloney who would float in an easy-to-defend cross (Ireland at home aside).

How about Hanley heads to the near post for a flick-on, Steven Fletcher hangs on the penalty spot and Snodgrass stands on the opposition keeeper to distract him? McArthur and Darren Fletcher hang back 20 to 30 yards out and fire the ball back in if it come out, as well as thwart a potential counter attack.

At the moment when we get a set piece we just look gormless.   

45 minutes ago, Goozay said:

We can do loads of thing better with the same players/formation/tactics.

How about we start with a plan of what to do when we win a corner? At the moment Ritchie comes up and floats the ball in, we don't win it and are susceptible to a counter attack. Previous campaign it was Maloney who would float in an easy-to-defend cross (Ireland at home aside).

How about Hanley heads to the near post for a flick-on, Steven Fletcher hangs on the penalty spot and Snodgrass stands on the opposition keeeper to distract him? McArthur and Darren Fletcher hang back 20 to 30 yards out and fire the ball back in if it come out, as well as thwart a potential counter attack.

At the moment when we get a set piece we just look gormless.   

If you can also come up with an effective plan for defending corners then the job is yours.:ok:

Haven't read all this thread, but get Anya, Griffiths, Naismith and perhaps Burke in the starting XI

S. Fletcher wins f*ck all in the box... Anya, Griffiths and Naismith can all receive the ball deep and travel towards the area/goal with the ball - at the very least it will give opposing defender's something to deal with (whereas they haven't had f*ck all to worry about recently).

4-3-3

Why should Naismith be in?

He was abysmal in the last campaign, offered very little and couldn't hit a barn door, and since August he's played 39 minutes in the league.

I don't mind Naismith, he's an alright player, once every few months he's a really good player, but there's no way he deserves to be in the starting 11 when he can't even get a regular game for a Championship side.. let alone him being the guy we build our attacking shape around. That's ludicrous.

10 minutes ago, AustroSchotte said:

Can you not read ? The answer is obvious isn't it??

Well, the 'obvious answer' is that folk are disgruntled with what they're seeing now so are throwing names around in the hope something magical will happen and we'll score 47 goals in the next 2 games.

With Naismith, the facts remain..
He had ample opportunities in that role last campaign and was utterly ineffective.
Excluding Gibraltar he's not scored an international goal in over 2 years (9 caps).
He's barely kicked a ball in 2 months for his club in the Championship.
On merit he shouldn't be in the squad, let along the team, with McCormack and Rhodes being better striking inclusions.

We also have better and more deserving options available to play a number 10:
Burke, Snodgrass, Maloney, Russell, Murphy.
So Naismith should probably be around 6 choice, along side Stuart Armstrong.

This can change if he starts playing and scoring regularly, but right now I see nothing to make Naismith worth considering.

1 hour ago, andyD said:

With Naismith, the facts remain..
He had ample opportunities in that role last campaign and was utterly ineffective.
Excluding Gibraltar he's not scored an international goal in over 2 years (9 caps).

This can change if he starts playing and scoring regularly, but right now I see nothing to make Naismith worth considering.

Yip good points, i see where your coming from...maybe Naismith can thrive in a team with Burke and perhaps Griffiths. Remains to be seen, I bet behind the scenes he is a big part of the squad culture and itching for a game !  I would have him as a super sub and see what he can do. For me on his day he is still a class player.

35 minutes ago, AustroSchotte said:

Yip good points, i see where your coming from...maybe Naismith can thrive in a team with Burke and perhaps Griffiths. Remains to be seen, I bet behind the scenes he is a big part of the squad culture and itching for a game !  I would have him as a super sub and see what he can do. For me on his day he is still a class player.

He can be a really good player, i remember being at Chelsea Everton a few season back there was a lovely moment where a diagonal ball came over the top. He'd got the right side of Cahill, but realised that he wasn't going to beat him in a straight race to the ball, so before starting his run just stepped into Cahill a little, making Cahill stop and giving him the head start that let him get to the ball first. It was smart play.

It's things like that that make me think he might be a decent Kenny Miller style lone front man. The problem is.. he's just not clinical enough. He's been incredibly wasteful over the years, he's not really creative enough to play deeper and he's not the same player he was as a kid, when he's get it down and run at people and things would happen as a result. I'm not sure anyone really knows where his best position is and that's born out in his club career. He's spent a decent amount of time on the right, on the left, as a number 9 and as a number 10. Now he's on the bench in the Championship.

It's a shame, cos he is a smart and talented player. He's probably at the lowest point of his career and aged 30 still hasn't really found his position.

We took 4 friendlies and WGS tried nothing new in terms of the defence, when we were clearly poor in the last campaign.

In my opinion we are crying out for 3 centre halves. Not only to tighten at the back but to allow the full backs / wing backs up the pitch.

We could really do with Mulgrew sitting in front of defence and Morrison coming back in also as the midfield has fallen apart. Both need games asap.

Edited by Eastiebeastie

There is lots we could do better, this is my thoughts on some, specifically with Slovakia game in mind but could relate to other defeats or goals we have lost.

1 Play a goalkeeper who can organise the defence better and be more effective with distribution.

2, Play in form defenders, who are match fit and playing regularly such as Berra and Bardsley or players from Scotland.

3, Do not play guys in midfield out of their club position or guys who are not fit,

4, Be tactically more astute and change formation if It's not working

5 Be prepared to take a chance on Strikers no matter their size,  how tall is Messi? or argubly our best player during the euros Maloney? and if tall is best why no Rhodes?

6 Have a manager who can address all the above and be aware that defenders need coached as do Goalkeepers so be prepared to bring in ex players who can help. 

7. Tactics against teams need to change depending on their strengths stop using the same system against everybody we play.

8.  Use friendly games to play players who are on the cusp of playing.  Wallace, McKay, Griffiths, Berra, Boyd, McGinn, McCormack Rhodes hardly 20 minutes among them. Why stick with same players when we are losing?  Why play Greer in Friendlies?

9 Have a manager who takes the fans and media seriously and stops trying to be clever and funny when all we have done recently is beat Malta and Gibralter.

10. Have a defence that can switch from zonal to man marking, to be organised at free kicks and to understand what foot the goalie kicks with.

11 Ditch the pink strips,  psychologically if I was playing in pink I'm not sure I would feel comfortable....would you?

13 Be prepared to try players from the Scottish League Its not that bad. Martin and Hanley it's not working we have lost goals against Gibralter, Malta, Georgia, Lithuania, 3 from Slovakia.....whhat other proof do you need?

14 Bring in a defensive coach and a decent Goalkeeping coach as well, change the manager, change the team, change the rules for choosing players if you were born in Italy Germany or Brazil you can be picked for Scotland.

Edited by bigfathagiz