What can we do better? - Page 4 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Listened to Radio Scotland on drive home from Airport. Kevin Thompson mentioned the lack of a holding midfielder being one of the main issues last night. We had 3 guys in the middle of the park all looking to get involved in played furter up the field and nobody there to protect and already dodgy back 4. The only player who springs to mind that could do that for us IMO would be Mulgrew, certainly done well in that postion v ROI in Glasgow.

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

3 minutes ago, bossman4 said:

Listened to Radio Scotland on drive home from Airport. Kevin Thompson mentioned the lack of a holding midfielder being one of the main issues last night. We had 3 guys in the middle of the park all looking to get involved in played furter up the field and nobody there to protect and already dodgy back 4. The only player who springs to mind that could do that for us IMO would be Mulgrew, certainly done well in that postion v ROI in Glasgow.

Could give John Souttar a shot at that role too. He's also younger than Mulgrew and offers more long term.

48 minutes ago, bossman4 said:

Little bit surprised to hear calls for Mulgrew.  He certainly has done well in the past in that position but he's played very little first team football for a long term and was injured in his first game for Blackburn and I'm not sure he's recovered.

2 hours ago, Rossy said:

What's your chance of playing for Scotland under Strachan if you play for St Johnstone ?

Zilch. Feck all. Niks. 

He has a bizarre way of deciding on which players are his favourites. 

Not being funny but didn't Strachan pick Stevie May when he was with Saints?  

8 minutes ago, Hertsscot said:

Not being funny but didn't Strachan pick Stevie May when he was with Saints?  

He did but only got his cap after moving to Sheffield Wednesday.

Can't believe no Scottish Premiership side tried to get him on loan from PNE during the summer. 

Edited by ErsatzThistle

Start building a team around our most talented young players for starters and get rid of the extremely average same old faces that we have

Burke, Mackay, Tierney, Robertson, McGinn et al

Get Jack Harper involved and call up Ali Crawford 

1 minute ago, Ally Bongo said:

Start building a team around our most talented young players for starters and get rid of the extremely average same old faces that we have

I'd like to see Harper get some club football at a decent level first before we get him involved but I certainly would not write him off just yet as some are doing. Same goes for Ryan Gauld.

If only they two could just get some games and we could get a better look at them, argh !

3 things we need to change.

1. Stop playing guys who dont play for the club team, i have seen hanley give a goal away every game since i can remember. Start Berra, souter, even danny wilson. They play every week. 

2. Stop playing players out of position, R.Martin is a right back, in we are going to play him CB we need to play 3 at the back. James McArthur is not an attacking midfield player, he should have never been played there yesterday. C.Martin is not a lone striker.

3. Give players in scotland a chance. Do we need to drag back Gordon Greer? When John Soutar and Danny Wilson are much younger and also play every week?I dont think so. Jason cummings plays every week and scores most. When did C.Martin last score?

Edited by jamboman

3 minutes ago, jamboman said:

3 things we need to change.

1. Stop playing guys who dont play for the club team, i have seen hanley give a goal away every game since i can remember. Start Berra, souter, even danny wilson. They play every week. 

2. Stop playing players out of position, R.Martin is a right back, in we are going to play him CB we need to play 3 at the back. James McArthur is not an attacking midfield player, he should have never been played there yesterday. C.Martin is not a lone striker.

3. Give players in scotland a chance. Do we need to drag back Gordon Greer? When John Soutar and Danny Wilson are much younger and also play every week?I dont think so. Jason cummings plays every week and scores most. When did C.Martin last score?

In Malta. Did you miss it?

13 hours ago, Ally Bongo said:

Agree with most of that but Harper currently struggling to get a game for the Brighton development squad so no to him at the moment. Have a feeling that move to Brighton could turn out to be a really bad decision.

15 hours ago, ErsatzThistle said:

He did but only got his cap after moving to Sheffield Wednesday.

Can't believe no Scottish Premiership side tried to get him on loan from PNE during the summer. 

Stevie May's been injured for a good wee while iirc.
Only just coming back to training now i think.

14 hours ago, jamboman said:

John Soutar and Danny Wilson are much younger and also play every week

Haven't seen much of the rangers this season. Had Wilson actually been playing well enough to be considered? They certainly seem to be struggling for clean sheets in the league.

How about play strikers who score goals and have some form Fletcher and Martin are totally out of form and aren't scoring, we have guys like Griffiths, Rhodes and McCormack but none of them ever get a chance up top over the last 4 years.  On day one Strachan said he would pick players on form not reputation yet he does the exact opposite if a player isn't playing for his club or playing well he shouldn't be in the starting eleven as he isn't match sharp we have far too many living on their reputation who get a game no matter what.  Also seems to be a few Strachan doesn't like for what ever reason Rhodes and Bardsley spring to mind.  We aren't Brazil we don't have enough good players to not pick the ones you aren't pals with.  For me he should be watching the club games running up to the Internationals, seeing who is playing, seeing who is playing well and then picking those players and only if we are short in an area does he call up players who are subs or reserves for their club.  We don't have any superstars who should always get picked so it should be 100% on their club form.  

What can we do better? Whatever it was we were doing two years ago, when we were beating Ireland, drawing away to Poland (arguably a better side than Slovakia) and making the world champions work for their victory on their home patch.

Since then we've regressed back to the Craig Levein days of anaemic, ponderous attacks and meek defending. I don't know what has happened behind the scenes but I want Scotland c.2014 back, and soon. 

16 hours ago, Help ma Boab said:

How about play strikers who score goals and have some form Fletcher and Martin are totally out of form and aren't scoring, we have guys like Griffiths, Rhodes and McCormack but none of them ever get a chance up top over the last 4 years.  On day one Strachan said he would pick players on form not reputation yet he does the exact opposite if a player isn't playing for his club or playing well he shouldn't be in the starting eleven as he isn't match sharp we have far too many living on their reputation who get a game no matter what.  Also seems to be a few Strachan doesn't like for what ever reason Rhodes and Bardsley spring to mind.  We aren't Brazil we don't have enough good players to not pick the ones you aren't pals with.  For me he should be watching the club games running up to the Internationals, seeing who is playing, seeing who is playing well and then picking those players and only if we are short in an area does he call up players who are subs or reserves for their club.  We don't have any superstars who should always get picked so it should be 100% on their club form.  

Agree on Martin but Fletcher has been in decent form for Wednesday since the September games. Rhodes only played his first action of the season for Boro the weekend before last away to West Ham and was subbed after about 65 mins. Bardsley hasn't had much game time for Stoke since Glen Johnston was fit again, played the first few games but not had much since then.

Would you take a draw lads at Wembley?  Scotland certainly capable of it given England's erratic performances (albeit they've got their 7 points in the bag) 

I'd imagine 5 points from the next 3 games with England (twice) & Solvenia at home would be the realistic aim?

2 minutes ago, irish said:

Would you take a draw lads at Wembley?  Scotland certainly capable of it given England's erratic performances (albeit they've got their 7 points in the bag) 

I'd imagine 5 points from the next 3 games with England (twice) & Solvenia at home would be the realistic aim?

A gallant draw at Wembley would probably be enough to keep Strachan in his job but not enough to help in qualification. 

Edited by aaid

11 minutes ago, aaid said:

A gallant draw at Wembley would probably be enough to keep Strachan in his job but not enough to help in qualification.

I could only see you getting 2 draws at best with England which wouldn't be a bad return but I'd imagine you'd still need to take 6 points against Slovenia/Slovakia at home and a win away to either Lithuania or Slovenia. I don't think 2 draws away to them is any good to you and you probably have a better chance of beating Lithuania away.I'd say 19 points would probably be the best you could hope for and be one of the best 8 playoff sides.

14 minutes ago, irish said:

I could only see you getting 2 draws at best with England which wouldn't be a bad return but I'd imagine you'd still need to take 6 points against Slovenia/Slovakia at home and a win away to either Lithuania or Slovenia. I don't think 2 draws away to them is any good to you and you probably have a better chance of beating Lithuania away.I'd say 19 points would probably be the best you could hope for and be one of the best 8 playoff sides.

Think we now need a win in either of the two England games.  Wins at home against Slovenia and Slovakia are a must as well. Realistically we need to pick up a minimum of 4 from six in the other away fixtures. Assuming we beat Malta at home. That gives us 20 points which on paper is doable but in our current form near impossible