What is your tipping point? - Page 2 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

What is your tipping point?

Chief

27 minutes ago, killiefaetheferry said:

Good. Good riddance to the jean-wearing glory-hunting, johnny come lately types. I might start going back if we are ketch again, certainly sorts out the wheat from the chaff. Ah, Moldova..... those were the days.

Is it a Stone Island kilt you wear ? I've met football fan types before that feel the need to dress the same, they didn't seem too bright. Personally i prefer to decide myself what clothes i wear and go with the flow regarding other peoples attire, it feels right.

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My "Tipping Point" when it came was actually something pretty small and simple..

2006 Qualifiers - after all the usual huffing and puffing, and appearing to have no chance, got good result away to Norway and all of a sudden, if we beat Belarus at Hampden and other results go our way we could make playoffs..

After arguing with mates on way to Hampden as they were more interested in going for "1 more pint" or a carry out than getting to the game, arrived about 15 mins late to find we were already 1-0 down...

About 20 mins to go, after about an hour of the usual insipid dross and fear any "must win" game brings, the Scotland Centre half had ball on edge of box in front of West Stand I was in, played a straight forward ball out to the right back whom under no pressure whatsoever totally miscontrolled the perfectly weighted pass and let it run out for a throw in to Belarus..

Something in my head went "Enough", I go up, walked out and haven't been back to a game since.

Found talking to folks over the years, quite a few folk have had similar scenarios in that in the end it was something pretty minor that was their own "tipping point" after putting up with so much dross

Edited by Robbo `81

Lads it may be darkest before the dawn, you have a better chance of beating England in Wembley than we did besting Germany at the Aviva and look howthatturnedout

you never know whats around the corner (granted its likely to be somebody looking to whack you but you never know)

52 minutes ago, Radian said:

Keich = shite, heard of keich not ketch though.  Really if you going to presume and insult you should really spell correctly would carry more weight!  It's a game of football not a fashion show, don't have to be in a kilt, glengarry with badges and a suit jacket to show how much of a fan you are.  Sad that adults are so judgmental.  

:o

38 minutes ago, Robbo `81 said:

My "Tipping Point" when it came was actually something pretty small and simple..

2006 Qualifiers - after all the usual huffing and puffing, and appearing to have no chance, got good result away to Norway and all of a sudden, if we beat Belarus at Hampden and other results go our way we could make playoffs..

After arguing with mates on way to Hampden as they were more interested in going for "1 more pint" or a carry out than getting to the game, arrived about 15 mins late to find we were already 1-0 down...

About 20 mins to go, after about an hour of the usual insipid dross and fear any "must win" game brings, the Scotland Centre half had ball on edge of box in front of West Stand I was in, played a straight forward ball out to the right back whom under no pressure whatsoever totally miscontrolled the perfectly weighted pass and let it run out for a throw in to Belarus..

Something in my head went "Enough", I go up, walked out and haven't been back to a game since.

Found talking to folks over the years, quite a few folk have had similar scenarios in that in the end it was something pretty minor that was their own "tipping point" after putting up with so much dross

I remember that game.  Never been back in 10 years?  Ever been tempted?  

Yeah, last campaign was enough for me. Didn't renew my SSC membership this time around (due to the SFA as well, of course), had it since '99. Still, the fever got to me after the Malta result and I almost booked up flights for last night's game a few weeks back without a match ticket. Glad I decided against it in the end. I'm not going to bother with Wembley now either.

The first time I had thoughts of quitting was after that 4-6-0 czech republic game, where a team worse than us beat us due to pish tactics and negative play. It's only built since then, the Wales games in particular hurting.

They way we are now I don't even think we're close to matching the glorious failure of the Euro 2008 campaign.

1 hour ago, Robbo `81 said:

Yup, wee things like that stick in my mind too. I had a moment like that watching domestic fitba. Went every week for years then stopped almost immediately - I can recall the exact game too. 

I'm still up for the Scotland games though, but no idea when that tipping point will come......

Edited by McTeeko

If Wembley goes as bad as I fear I think I will just send my season ticket back to the SFA and tell them to give the tickets to school children. Enough is enough.  I wouldn't even go to London if I hadn't already booked the flights plus tickets for, of all things, Les Mis .

Of course,  if by some miracle we turn things around by next June I will be chasing those weans down the street for my tickets. 

2 minutes ago, TDYER63 said:

If Wembley goes as bad as I fear I think I will just send my season ticket back to the SFA and tell them to give the tickets to school children. Enough is enough.  I wouldn't even go to London if I hadn't already booked the flights plus tickets for, of all things, Les Mis .

Of course,  if by some miracle we turn things around by next June I will be chasing those weans down the street for my tickets. 

Very appropriate. :(

Been a member since 94.  Had my share of trips in the early years, not been away now for over 10 years with Scotland.  I stopped Friendlies at Hampden 2 years ago and for Lithuania was close to not going.  Went along like the Scotland junkie that I am, paying the extra cash as I didnt buy during the members time period.  Horrendous from start to finish. 

I am the only one of 10 that used to go to games from 96 through to 06.  Maybe its just the fact that everyone has had kids etc and priorities have changed but it does feel like a generational shift.  

Edited by giblet

15 minutes ago, giblet said:

Been a member since 94.  Had my share of trips in the early years, not been away now for over 10 years with Scotland.  I stopped Friendlies at Hampden 2 years ago and for Lithuania was close to not going.  Went along like the Scotland junkie that I am, paying the extra cash as I didnt buy during the members time period.  Horrendous from start to finish. 

I am the only one of 10 that used to go to games from 96 through to 06.  Maybe its just the fact that everyone has had kids etc and priorities have changed but it does feel like a generational shift.  

between 8-12 of us used go as a group. Only 2 went last night, and they are ready to chuck it. Cant see any of the rest of us going back.

Same as a lot of others I have had it. It's just a hassle going to, and particularly getting back from, the games. Hardly go to away games anymore and got nil points as I missed getting an SSC Ireland ticket so in 2 minds whether to bother with Wembley or see if someone is daft enough to buy my already purchased train tickets. Have also offered my remaining home tickets elsewhere.

I will always attend the home games and the away ones I can afford to in terms of time and money - probably don't have a tipping point and will support Scotland no matter how bad we are.

The saddest thing though is that in recent years the away trips have often felt more and more of a social event to catch up with old mates and the football almost peripheral.

12 minutes ago, Hercules Rockefeller said:

The saddest thing though is that in recent years the away trips have often felt more and more of a social event to catch up with old mates and the football almost peripheral.

Pretty much what the home games are for me now!

I do wonder what our support will resemble in years to come. The new generation of Scots won't have been bitten by the bug like we were. I'd watched us play in 8 tournaments before I was 30...

I have already tipped.

Started going under Berti with 6/7 others in our group, went up to about 14 guys for all home games and 10 for the bigger away games.

Two campaigns ago it was just my brother, my dad and I going to games and we sacked off the friendlies. This campaign it was only me that renewed and purely for the England games as I live in London and it would seem rude not to go.

Last away trip was in Faro, after the disappointment of Poland I didn't even go to the match. We sat on the beach then watched it in a bar. Had it not been for the fact my wife and I had booked up for the week I would not have gone.

So I think England away will be my last for a while. Other priorities, lack of enjoyment and to top it off I get to watch Martin not scoring for Fulham every other week, no need to see it at international level.

Interesting and shocking. Somebody should print these out and force the SFA seniors to read them all. If they would counter their lack of acceptable football Performances and a bit of success by reduced Tickets etc they might be able to keep a good number of TA foot soldiers. But this sounds grim. 

Noticed in 2014 that plenty of scots coming to Dortmund looked more like stag groups than football fans. More interested in the local beer than football but nice guys nonetheless. 

Edited by Batzek-osemba

Over the last ten years its been only 4 away games snd a fair few home but it's becoming more of a struggle and the away matches are chosen on the basis of how good the place is culturally.

The game is a side show as I'm always 99% certain it will be a huge letdown.

Don't think I'll ever lose complete interest and will be back at games when I can make them. Interest in this campaign has gone though and I won't be making big efforts to attend the remaining home games.

My first away game was in 1999 when I was 16 so all I know is failure and never had the chance to travel to a tournament to watch Scotland.

Our group who go to games has dwindled and away games are few and far between now. We used to have about 20 for every home game and 16 or so for away games. We would do 3-4 away games a year, including friendlies. Home games now are hand picked and the group is less than half. Some home games we have no one at it. I haven't been to an away game since 2012.

I think though that is more to do with the age of us now and many having infants and babies.