What is your tipping point? - Page 3 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

What is your tipping point?

Chief

18 hours ago, Chief said:

I was thinking to myself last night that the 2 England games might be my last going to watch Scotland, yes I am in a low mood and goes against my usual state of mind. 

The Lithuania game was a chore and I am struggling to justify going anymore. Expense, quality of football, the constant let downs...

Probably in a months time preparing to go to London I will be over this feeling but this double header has challenged my support more than any other. 

I'm feeling the same just now.

I can handle failure/bad results (i watch Killie every week!) but Scotland games have become a chore. Never thought i'd say that 5 or 6 years ago.

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

2 minutes ago, iainmac1 said:

Don't think I'll ever lose complete interest and will be back at games when I can make them. Interest in this campaign has gone though and I won't be making big efforts to attend the remaining home games.

My first away game was in 1999 when I was 16 so all I know is failure and never had the chance to travel to a tournament to watch Scotland.

Our group who go to games has dwindled and away games are few and far between now. We used to have about 20 for every home game and 16 or so for away games. We would do 3-4 away games a year, including friendlies. Home games now are hand picked and the group is less than half. Some home games we have no one at it. I haven't been to an away game since 2012.

I think though that is more to do with the age of us now and many having infants and babies. 

Exactly the same here. Our group dwindled as people started having families, which meant less disposable income and more pressure to be at home more from the Mrs ! And admittedly a different outlook on life which says that football just isn't as important compared to spending your holiday time with your children. by the way, for those biting, my previous comments about attire etc were made in jest so calm doon :lol:

I remember the tipping point for me as being the moment I cancelled for Alicante when we found out the Mrs was expecting and would be 7 months pregnant at the time of the game. It was just the right thing to do for me, although I know others who have cut things fine in similar circumstances. 

The standard of football was never a deciding factor for me, but it was noticeable that our core 6-7 grew into the teens when we were doing well in small spells.

44 minutes ago, fraz65 said:

It's strange that so many seem to be losing interest when the general consensus on here is that we're only a change of manager away from reaching the last 16 of the Euro's.

Maybe they have zero confidence in the SFA appointing somebody capable of getting the best of the squad?

PS - Many games do you go to?

12 hours ago, killiefaetheferry said:

Good. Good riddance to the jean-wearing glory-hunting, johnny come lately types. I might start going back if we are ketch again, certainly sorts out the wheat from the chaff. Ah, Moldova..... those were the days.

Not at all, if anything it will see a reduction in the kilt wearing mile outs that go for a "party" and can barely tell you who the starting 11 are in the midst of their drunken stupor.  We might see the folk that are actually there to watch the football come to fore, where a Scotland team will be praised when they are good and criticised when they're shite.

Gibraltar away post match sticks in a lot of folks heads... 

Edited by BremnerLorimerGray

53 minutes ago, fraz65 said:

It's strange that so many seem to be losing interest when the general consensus on here is that we're only a change of manager away from reaching the last 16 of the Euro's.

Yes that's exactly what many on here think. SIGH

The tipping point for me was Georgia in the last campaign. I wasn't at the game but watched it with friends and can remember sitting there thinking that there was only so many time I could feel like i've been kicked in the teeth before I'd had enough.

I went to the remaining games in that campaign as I'd already bought tickets and was travelling to Faro with the Mrs but I made the decision that I wasn't going to renew my membership. I was on 5 points at the time, but worked out that the England game and possibly Malta was the only games I'd have a chance of making so my points would disappear at the end of the 2 year campaign anyway.

Wasn't tempted to buy Lithuania tickets and can't envisage me getting tickets for Slovenia in March.

I'd been going to Hampden to watch Scotland for over 25 years, it was the first time I could take it or leave it :(

I never thought i would have a tipping point with my national team have i think i have reached it. 2 or 3 times i have came close to it, But this time i can't bring myself to be travelling from fife to glasgow for middle of the week games just for what? Not as if the football is great, and unless some sort of miracle happens, we aren't qualifying for the foreseeable future. I will still watch and support the team, but the house or the pub will be the place to do it. The hampden "experience" has become stale, ye put up with the travel chaos and misery before and after games because there was always a chance you would see your national team win, but even that hope has gone. 

i already had cut back due to costs.  Just feel can't justify £40 for a ticket these days.

More than anything though, the atmosphere is terrible at Scotland games now.  Tartan Army can't sing more than about two songs and very rarely do.  

We are far, far from the best fans and are quicker to get on the backs of the team than to support it.  See Celtic Park versus Man City for a real atmosphere.  Hampden is not an intimidating place to come.  It's not everything (we need performances too) but a stagnant atmosphere doesn't inspire anybody to come back.

SFA's answer is bits and pieces.  We need a boisterous home support; we've lost that spark. 

Interesting a few folk citing the hassle of getting to and particularly from Hampden as a reason for not going.

Took me an hour and a half to get home after the Poland game and I live 15 minutes away.

I was considering going to the Lithuania game in the car, rather than spending £30 going to the pub to watch it, but that was a factor in me choosing the pub.

41 minutes ago, sbcmfc said:

Interesting a few folk citing the hassle of getting to and particularly from Hampden as a reason for not going.

Took me an hour and a half to get home after the Poland game and I live 15 minutes away.

I was considering going to the Lithuania game in the car, rather than spending £30 going to the pub to watch it, but that was a factor in me choosing the pub.

For the Poland game it took me 5 hours to drive from Arbroath, this is because of congestion at Perth and Stirling, I wouldn't put myself through that again. It is a hassle if you can't get the train home 

I put up with the Prague fiasco but Belgium in 2012 nearly tipped over the edge. So disgusted with our surrender that night that that's the first time I ever left a game so early to return to the city centre. Was absolutely disgusted. 

Thankfully, Levein's resignation prevented that and I am still going to the games but can fully understand people staying away due to the ridiculous fixture and kick off time organisation that is the 'Week Of Football' and the greed of the SFA in their ticket prices. The slump in results ain't helping

As others have said, last campaign. 

Started with playing for a draw in Ireland, got worse in the Georgia debacle.

Midway through the Germany game, we were so far off the pace it was unbelievable. I just felt we were wasting our time. I barely cheered our goals because it was so clear Germany could score at will and they were simply pacing themselves. 

The Poland game at home was worse - having heard what was going on in Dublin, knew we wouldn't get the results required and that we'd blown it (in Georgia and Ireland)  when Scotland let in the late goal, there were guys around me sobbing, and I just thought "get a grip - how can you even be surprised"  

Then I saw the new home strip.  Then the away one.

Then the SSC reneweal, match and season ticket prices came through.  And I thought, "sod this for a game of bollocks"  

I was tempted back for the Lithuania game, but as soon as I saw the team selection I regretted giving the SFA my money. 

Been going since the 80s, can't foresee me going back. 

SFA isn't fit for purpose. Manager isn't doing his job properly. SFA will pick his replacement and it will likely be as uninspiring as the last one.  Repeat ad infinitum. 

My wife doesn't let me handle knifes any more. 

2 hours ago, BremnerLorimerGray said:

Not at all, if anything it will see a reduction in the kilt wearing mile outs that go for a "party" and can barely tell you who the starting 11 are in the midst of their drunken stupor.  We might see the folk that are actually there to watch the football come to fore, where a Scotland team will be praised when they are good and criticised when they're shite.

Gibraltar away post match sticks in a lot of folks heads... 

Tend to agree with this.

This thread should be a real warning shot to the SFA, (and we all know they will be keeping a close eye on this forum) If the kind of demoralisation shown on this thread is mirrored within the general support, then they have some real hard thinking on pricing and appointments in the near future.

I assume most of the guys who are planning to, or have already, knocked it on the head, follow a club side on a regular basis. That way, not going to Scotland games is a bit less of an issue, because you still have your regular game fix. For some of us though, these are the only games we go to so giving them up would be far more of a wrench.

9 minutes ago, northernscum said:

I assume most of the guys who are planning to, or have already, knocked it on the head, follow a club side on a regular basis. That way, not going to Scotland games is a bit less of an issue, because you still have your regular game fix.

This is very much true.

I go to probably 35+ Killie games a season, only really miss games due to holidays or weddings etc. Most of my mates are the same. A lot of them are cutting back on Scotland games but still following Killie regularly. Season ticket for Killie was £280 if bought early which is decent enough value over 19 games. Compare that to the SFA season tickets!

If that's not a warning sign to the SFA then nothing will be! 

16 hours ago, they've_been_suckered said:

There was a fair number of people who saw this coming and didn't renew. 

If more people voted with their feet it would force change from the SFA. Not strictly a go at you, it's just annoying how many happy clappers will persist. 

Aye probably true, I think I still have about 4/5 away points at the moment, so kept my membership after the Euros, as I thought we had a reasonably doable WC qualifying group.  As the away points disappear over the rest of this campaign & batch of friendlies as we are used as a warm up game for those that have qualified for 2018, there wont be any real incentive to renew I don't think.

24 minutes ago, northernscum said:

This thread should be a real warning shot to the SFA, (and we all know they will be keeping a close eye on this forum) If the kind of demoralisation shown on this thread is mirrored within the general support, then they have some real hard thinking on pricing and appointments in the near future.

I assume most of the guys who are planning to, or have already, knocked it on the head, follow a club side on a regular basis. That way, not going to Scotland games is a bit less of an issue, because you still have your regular game fix. For some of us though, these are the only games we go to so giving them up would be far more of a wrench.

To be honest, do you honestly think the SFA will care? With fannies like Regan and Broadfoot involved, I think we all know the answer.

59 minutes ago, King Of Paisley said:

To be honest, do you honestly think the SFA will care? With fannies like Regan and Broadfoot involved, I think we all know the answer.

sadly true , an appointment like Lambert or McInnes or even back to Eck will be enough to tip quite a few for the next campaign imo

Georgia away last year. 

A shocking performance. And when I stopped really caring. Went to the Germany game but my heart wasn't really in it and didn't bother watching Poland and Gibraltar games (was overseas). 

Back for a bit now and went to the Lithuania game but catching up with mates was better than the actual game and we left early, something I've never did. 

13 hours ago, Toepoke said:

Pretty much what the home games are for me now!

I do wonder what our support will resemble in years to come. The new generation of Scots won't have been bitten by the bug like we were. I'd watched us play in 8 tournaments before I was 30...

I well know the feeling! In my late 20s now so can only vaguely remember watching EURO 96 and France 98 on the telly as a wee boy.  You guys had it so good - jealous!

4 hours ago, Dunoon_Ton said:

Aye probably true, I think I still have about 4/5 away points at the moment, so kept my membership after the Euros, as I thought we had a reasonably doable WC qualifying group.  As the away points disappear over the rest of this campaign & batch of friendlies as we are used as a warm up game for those that have qualified for 2018, there wont be any real incentive to renew I don't think.

It would be interesting to see how many home ends have sold out for scotland games. 

Personally, i ve never had a problem pitching up and buying a home end ticket for a scotland away game in the half dozon times ive done it.

I had enough after the 4-0 away defeat to Norway in August 2009, had already booked Japan away a couple of months later in October, went for a week and had an absolute ball, made my mind up on the way back from that trip that was that as I couldn't envisage a trip that would come close to that.

Succumbed and made a few fleeting returns since, Alicante, Wembley and Dublin, have booked flights and hotel for Wembley next month, haven't got a ticket but can't see that being a problem, might just go up west that night and not bother with the game anyway.

14 minutes ago, scoobydoo said:

It would be interesting to see how many home ends have sold out for scotland games. 

Personally, i ve never had a problem pitching up and buying a home end ticket for a scotland away game in the half dozon times ive done it.

Only time iv ever seen problems with this was Macedonia away (the 1-0 defeat) in 2008, hundreds of fans were locked out of the game (even ones with away end tickets) as the dodgy police kept nicking people's tickets & then trying to sell them back to other Scotland fans.  That was before I had any points right enough, but managed to get into France, Holland etc. home ends in the past no problem.