What is your tipping point? - Page 4 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

What is your tipping point?

Chief

Lewandowski last minute goal at Hamden did it for me, that was the last nail in the coffin. After that I didn’t renew my SSC membership. I had been thinking about it and the writing was on the wall and that goal just killed the dream for me. It was over by then but that was when I said it out loud, “that’s plenty”. Even typing it out now still hurts deep down.

The Lithuania game was the first home competitive game I’d missed in ten years.

It was spoiling my visits home to see family, the build-up was great, the excitement was great, the inevitable crap performance, poor football, worsening atmosphere and my sullen deflated moods were just not worth it. A nice break spoiled by 90 mins of turgid football.

I worked out the money I had spent traveling up from England for the home games and occasional travel to away games and bought me and the Boy Brighton season tickets.

Edited by kmcca5

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thought hard before contributing to this thread.

I'm based abroad (Montenegro) so Scotland's away games are the attraction for me, and wherever possible getting to home games. Croatia 2013 was the line for me as far as home games were concerned. Dead rubber for both sides but I drew the line at paying 30 notes to go to Hampden for that one. Not been back to a home game since, although that's got nothing to do with choice and more to to do with not being in the country when games are being played.

Having said that, football is massively overpriced in the UK generally, and Scotland in particular. I said elsewhere that I paid 6 Euros to watch Montenegro hump Kazakhstan last Saturday, Great evening, good facilities and you were not treated as though you were a potential troublemaker. Compare that with trying to get to Hampden for too many reasons that have been eloquently expressed on this thread.

75 notes and a doing at Wembley may well do it for me totally. Not a scenario that I am happy to be considering, but there comes a point when going to watch football is no longer value for money. It's a point that everyone will reach one day, on their own terms and on the basis of their own personal circumstances.

But let's not ignore that the SFA have ripping it out of members for years. Home and away.

And Darryl, Stuart et al - if that makes me a bad boy, then tough - you guys have been taking advantage of the fans for way too long.

17 hours ago, kps022000 said:

I have already tipped.

Started going under Berti with 6/7 others in our group, went up to about 14 guys for all home games and 10 for the bigger away games.

Two campaigns ago it was just my brother, my dad and I going to games and we sacked off the friendlies. This campaign it was only me that renewed and purely for the England games as I live in London and it would seem rude not to go.

Last away trip was in Faro, after the disappointment of Poland I didn't even go to the match. We sat on the beach then watched it in a bar. Had it not been for the fact my wife and I had booked up for the week I would not have gone.

So I think England away will be my last for a while. Other priorities, lack of enjoyment and to top it off I get to watch Martin not scoring for Fulham every other week, no need to see it at international level.

Sorry to hear it mate.

We have fond memories of spending a first class afternoon with your good self and your dad in Zagreb. Great crack, and no expectations in terms of the game.

I get the other priorities part, but I sincerely hope we'll get to see you on another away trip because that was a blast and then some.

Edited by Barney Rubble

Close to my tipping point the now, reasons include bad tactics, shite team selections, surly obnoxious manager,SSC membership being worthless that pink feckin strip, steaming dickheads thinking i'm not real supporter cos i don't wear a kilt, trying to get away from hampden after the game, rip off ticket prices,games everyday of the week to suit TV, going to Wembley in hope but could be my last.

1 hour ago, Barney Rubble said:

Sorry to hear it mate.

We have fond memories of spending a first class afternoon with your good self and your dad in Zagreb. Great crack, and no expectations in terms of the game.

I get the other priorities part, but I sincerely hope we'll get to see you on another away trip because that was a blast and then some.

If we draw Bosnia I will be back in a flash......  Would be good to meet for a few beers again.

After failing miserably to qualify for the last campaign,, In which I thought we might have at least sneaked a play off place I have decided to sit this campaign out, bad tactics, shite team selections and a manager with a stinking attitude have been the main reason for my stay away......

After Tuesday I thought there was  no way I was going to Wembley...but will give it a go on Monday to get a ticket. I think we can nick a win......got a feeling. Not going down for the day and a day on the booze. Just get the train down at 4 and get to the game. Not in the mood to party. At least not before the game....

There is no tipping point for me, I support Scotland because its my nation.

We don't get many opportunities to represent ourselves without being Team GB or being British.

I'll support Scotland till my dying breath because its who I am.

We have no divine right to qualify for tournaments and if we do eventually do it one day, I hope those giving up now don't come back demanding tickets for the tournament.

17 hours ago, Squirrelhumper said:

Maybe they have zero confidence in the SFA appointing somebody capable of getting the best of the squad?

And then sticking with their choice until he gets it right.

If Michael O'Neill (with a 10% win percentage after 30 games) had been appointed Scotland manager, he would have been sacked years ago.

5 hours ago, BraveheartGordon said:

There is no tipping point for me, I support Scotland because its my nation.

We don't get many opportunities to represent ourselves without being Team GB or being British.

I'll support Scotland till my dying breath because its who I am.

We have no divine right to qualify for tournaments and if we do eventually do it one day, I hope those giving up now don't come back demanding tickets for the tournament.

I'll be dead long before Scotland ever qualify for another tournament, so no worries there. 

5 hours ago, fraz65 said:

And then sticking with their choice until he gets it right.

If Michael O'Neill (with a 10% win percentage after 30 games) had been appointed Scotland manager, he would have been sacked years ago.

The Scotland manager has a far, far better starting point than O'Neill has. 

He can only dream of being able to leave guys like McCormack, Rhodes, Bryson, Shinnie etc out of a squad. In fact, most of them would get a start for NI.

Josh Magennis get's a regular game for god's sake.

Scotland and NI rightly have different expectations. If you think that's wrong then you are off your head.

Suppose for some could have been with the Euros being in France, easy to get to and around then the next 3 tournaments are Russia, different places in Europe, Qatar.  Yes as long as we qualify it doesn't matter where it is but some who could prob afford a game or two in France won't be able to travel to the next few so the excitement isn't as high as IF we got to any they'll be watching on telly rather than being there.  

Or the 8 or 9 consecutive failures and the shambles of the SFA bound to eventually put most off.

Edited by Radian

• 1 month later...

I said after Trnava it would take a massive performance at Wembley to carry on. Well with lack of atmosphere at games, lack of being entertained & grown men still thinking its acceptable to run around flashing in front of women & kids then singing Saville songs, well I'm finished. I've been to 30+ away games & probably double that home, but that's it for me. 

On 14/10/2016 at 8:00 AM, Squirrelhumper said:

The Scotland manager has a far, far better starting point than O'Neill has. 

He can only dream of being able to leave guys like McCormack, Rhodes, Bryson, Shinnie etc out of a squad. In fact, most of them would get a start for NI.

Josh Magennis get's a regular game for god's sake.

Scotland and NI rightly have different expectations. If you think that's wrong then you are off your head.

Would these be the same McCormack and Rhodes who are left out by their club teams? But you want them in the Scotland team? It's not that Strachan replaces McCormack and Rhodes with players that wouldn't get in the NI team is it? So whatever criticisms we can make of Strachan one of them isn't that he ignores top notch players to play rubbish ones? The frenzid anti Strachanites were adamant he would not play Griffiths in the England because he is a 'ginger fud/idiot etc,. '  He did select Griffiths and Griffiths was ultimately as useless as Fletcher, Martin etc,. . 

I wont be back but it has nothing to do with Strachan or Scotland.

International football is utter rubbish! Watching Lithuania waste time and feign injury for half an hour was the last straw for me.

Paying to get your chain yanked!

Total waste of time.

Another reason for not going back is the standard of the match officials.They are always horrific and because there are so few games groups are decided by woeful decisions by these clowns.

That's a fair point on the officials. Refs in Scotland get a terrible slagging almost every week and probably don't help themselves with wrong decisions. However having seen some of the officiating at Scotland matches you'd think it was somebody they grabbed off the street to ref the game. Absolute clueless idiots who miss basic stuff almost every game and that's including decisions Scotland get. 

15 hours ago, Tartacus said:

Would these be the same McCormack and Rhodes who are left out by their club teams? But you want them in the Scotland team? It's not that Strachan replaces McCormack and Rhodes with players that wouldn't get in the NI team is it? So whatever criticisms we can make of Strachan one of them isn't that he ignores top notch players to play rubbish ones? The frenzid anti Strachanites were adamant he would not play Griffiths in the England because he is a 'ginger fud/idiot etc,. '  He did select Griffiths and Griffiths was ultimately as useless as Fletcher, Martin etc,. . 

Good points..but Strachans tactics no matter what players are used are utterly bizarre.

Am actually glad that the next game I'm looking forward to is Slovenia away in October 2017.

Mainly to see Ljubljana. Went to Slovenia for a Uni field trip, so would love to go back.

Unfortunately by then it will be for a glorified friendly. The England game in June can do one. I'll keep my hard earned schekles for my family holiday in the Summer. 

J