Bad preparation - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Bad preparation

er yir macaroon

A big concern for me has been how the players individually were poor. Snodgrass was woeful, as at times was Bannan. These are highly technical players who looked knackered. Did Strachan train them too hard after Saturday? Snodgrass has been one of the best in the epl this season and he was utter mince.

Edited by er yir macaroon

16 minutes ago, er yir macaroon said:

A big concern for me has been how the players individually were poor. Snodgrass was woeful, as at times was Bannan. These are highly technical players who looked knackered. Did Strachan train them too hard after Saturday? Snodgrass has been one of the best in the epl this season and he was utter mince.

woah - highly technical? :lol:

Edited by ShedTA

30 minutes ago, er yir macaroon said:

Lithuania's goal showed they are far superior thechnically than us, we are shocking but have a high opinion of ourselves, we can only kick and rush. 

It was odd. We seemed to be trying for the early part. We pressed high up the pitch, Fletcher, Snoddy and Ritchie were closing down defenders, putting pressure on and we were winning the ball in their half because of it. Their defenders were flustered and just getting rid of it. Then teh first goal.. and we just fell apart. We stopped playing forwards. Ritchie and Snodgrass disappeared. Fletcher was cut off as a result. Tierney just stopped, turned and rolled it backwards every time and Fletcher stopped man marking Hamsik and both he and McArthur just stopped doing anything, even running.

I don't think it was over training, we just gave up. No leader on the pitch to give people a kick. Fletcher just idled around, watching the Slovakians play around him. It was embarrassing.

Snodgrass is a good footballer but he was played in a position and manner that was destined to fail. He isn't going to go down the line on his left foot outside people but he was constantly given the ball in positions whereby that was his only option. We would have been miles better playing Robertson a natural left footer who has we saw on Saturday loves bombing forward in that position with the impressive Tierney behind him. It was blatantly obvious Snodgrass was incapable of making things happen in that position yet Strachan either stubbornly persevered or couldn't see it. Either is unacceptable.

22 hours ago, andyD said:

It was odd. We seemed to be trying for the early part. We pressed high up the pitch, Fletcher, Snoddy and Ritchie were closing down defenders, putting pressure on and we were winning the ball in their half because of it. Their defenders were flustered and just getting rid of it. Then teh first goal.. and we just fell apart. We stopped playing forwards. Ritchie and Snodgrass disappeared. Fletcher was cut off as a result. Tierney just stopped, turned and rolled it backwards every time and Fletcher stopped man marking Hamsik and both he and McArthur just stopped doing anything, even running.

I don't think it was over training, we just gave up. No leader on the pitch to give people a kick. Fletcher just idled around, watching the Slovakians play around him. It was embarrassing.

I thought similar things to this. I just found the whole thing bizarre. There were periods when I thought we looked far more comfortable than them on the ball but we did absolutely nothing with it, toothless. The best of it is that slovakia are absolutely rank so I don't know what that makes us.

The whole thing is a shambles and  it's obvious the SFA nor strachan know what the answer is. We are back to the abyss, Groundhog day etc.

I don't think I'm actually completely gutted like I have been for the other 9 failed campaigns or whatever it is since France 98. I just don't give a sh*t any more.