Oliver Burke - Page 3 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Oliver Burke

King Of Paisley

Hopefully we'll all give the boy time to progress.  We're so desperate for success, iirc Burke didn't start regularly for Forest last season.  We'd like him to be our Bale but Bale had started quite a few times for Southampton before moving to Spurs and his early days there weren't totally successful, think he went ages without ever being on a winning side.

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

it certainly was a bizarre decision to send him home but keep injured players and 3rd keeper on the bench, If nothing else just the signal it must send the player. In my opinion I can see why he didn't start based on previous performances but given that we clearly need pace it was baffling we didn't at least keep him as an option.

It kindve feels like were getting carried away with him I feel though. Almost like he's the Messiah, end of story. I've only seen him in his performances for Scotland but I've got to say I've hardly been blown away, in fact I've not even been impressed. plenty guys in the game are saying he's got something to make him stand out which hopefully means he's git a chance, and there can be no doubting his physical attributes. Time will tell of course and it's good to have another prospect to look out for, but plenty of young lads have transferred for millions and not been the saviour of a nation. Not saying he's not/won't be a talent but I'm hoping to see some more compelling evidence in the near future.

On 14/10/2016 at 2:05 PM, Squirrelhumper said:

Best part of it is that he sent Naisy, Burke and McKay home yet named TWO keepers on the bench.

The name is a complete and utter moron.

The two keepers thing is a rule aparently, no idea why. I havent checked this but thats what I was told.

41 minutes ago, Kirk said:

The two keepers thing is a rule aparently, no idea why. I havent checked this but thats what I was told.

You'd think it's a million to one shot you need 2 spare keepers.

I can't remember ever seeing an outfield player going in other than when all subs used or back in 90s when you didn't have sub goalies.

Its also great fun when it happens! Remember Jamie Dolan (all 5'8" of him) going in for the last half hour against Celtic at fir park in a game Motherwell won. Or Stevie Kirk saving a penalty at Tynecastle.

40 minutes ago, er yir macaroon said:

he used his strength and pace to get to that position. I don't think anyone else in our squad could have got into that position, which was from a more or less from a standing start. It was a good save, too.

It was a good save. Keeper spread himself really well.

id have expected Burke to open up his body and put it to the keepers left, but he's tried to prod it past his right, in most cases the keeper would've commited left and not got a foot to that.

1 hour ago, er yir macaroon said:

he used his strength and pace to get to that position. I don't think anyone else in our squad could have got into that position, which was from a more or less from a standing start. It was a good save, too.

His pace, movement and ultimately finish were nothing we haven't seen a hundred times from Kenny Miller (who was always better without the time to think).

Not doing the boy down though. Just pointing out that regardless of how the chance was fashioned, he should have scored and didn't.

17 minutes ago, Marky said:

His pace, movement and ultimately finish were nothing we haven't seen a hundred times from Kenny Miller (who was always better without the time to think).

Not doing the boy down though. Just pointing out that regardless of how the chance was fashioned, he should have scored and didn't.

Miller's not in our squad though is he?

7 hours ago, sbcmfc said:

I can't remember ever seeing an outfield player going in other than when all subs used or back in 90s when you didn't have sub goalies.

Its also great fun when it happens! Remember Jamie Dolan (all 5'8" of him) going in for the last half hour against Celtic at fir park in a game Motherwell won. Or Stevie Kirk saving a penalty at Tynecastle.

Aye its a mad rule but hardly surprising at all

12 hours ago, Paulo2576 said:

it certainly was a bizarre decision to send him home but keep injured players and 3rd keeper on the bench, If nothing else just the signal it must send the player. In my opinion I can see why he didn't start based on previous performances but given that we clearly need pace it was baffling we didn't at least keep him as an option.

It kindve feels like were getting carried away with him I feel though. Almost like he's the Messiah, end of story. I've only seen him in his performances for Scotland but I've got to say I've hardly been blown away, in fact I've not even been impressed. plenty guys in the game are saying he's got something to make him stand out which hopefully means he's git a chance, and there can be no doubting his physical attributes. Time will tell of course and it's good to have another prospect to look out for, but plenty of young lads have transferred for millions and not been the saviour of a nation. Not saying he's not/won't be a talent but I'm hoping to see some more compelling evidence in the near future.

Burke did travel to Slovakia . Just after half time he went and sat in the front row of seats directly behind the Scotland dugout . Making Strachan's decision even more baffling

8 hours ago, sbcmfc said:

Scottish Cup Final Circa 2000

Robbie Winters played in Aberdeen for 95% of the match - Aberdeen never names a sub keeper  

2 hours ago, noctonjock said:

Burke did travel to Slovakia . Just after half time he went and sat in the front row of seats directly behind the Scotland dugout . Making Strachan's decision even more baffling

But he wasn't named in the subs in the first place.

Strachan aside I really do not understand the logic of this sending folk home when they are only away for a week and on a designated international break. You are supposed to be team building. Maybe under some circumstances they need to go home but otherwise naw that is petty and snide. Makes no sense to send them home especially if the lad then watched it in the stands (did I dream that bit above wow mental if true). It is like going out of your way to rub someones nose in it. For no reason at all. Oooooooh what a nob. :lol:

Edited by thplinth

11 minutes ago, thplinth said:

Strachan aside I really do not understand the logic of this sending folk home when they are only away for a week and on a designated international break. You are supposed to be team building. Maybe under some circumstances they need to go home but otherwise naw that is petty and snide. Makes no sense to send them home especially if the lad then watched it in the stands (did I dream that bit above wow mental if true). It is like going out of your way to rub someones nose in it. For no reason at all. Oooooooh what a nob. :lol:

Exactly.

They get so little time together as a squad and part of that time is surely training, tactics etc as well. Why reduce that already limited and valuable time together as a unit. ?

13 hours ago, noctonjock said:

10 hours ago, fringo said:

But he wasn't named in the subs in the first place.

Yup, which only shows how much of a terrible man manager Strachan is. Imagine being a young laddie... breaking through...19 years old...getting a big move...going away to play for your country and getting subbed after 60 minutes (despite having a decent game).... and then not even getting on the bench for the next game but 2 keepers do. 

You'd be both raging and demoralised. Strachan truly is a whank. 

3 hours ago, 86glebestreet said:

Marky your post keeps coming up when I try and post a reply, anyway I don't think it was a sitter, to me a sitter is the one iwelumo missed against Norway,

Ha Ha. :lol:

That wasn't a sitter. I don't think they've invented a word for what that was! :lol:

On 17 October 2016 at 6:35 AM, Paulo2576 said:

Burke is very highly rated in Germany. He is being eased into the rb Leipzig starting 11 for team balance. Did you seriously expect a new 19yr old signing to start in every game without upsetting the apple cart in the team?? Things are done differently in German football-with an intelligent strategic viewpoint;one not shared by strachan. Burke has played in nearly every game this season so this tells you he is very highly regarded for a 19yr old. Leipzig won't tolerate their investment being messed around by the Scottish team though so don't be surprised if Burke doesn't travel for the next qualifiers.