Scotland Games Not On "normal" TV - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Scotland Games Not On "normal" TV

Haggis_trap

So the recent Slovakia away wasn't on the normal TV....
Sad state affairs and something that we as Scotland fans should consider petitioning Holyrod about.
To rub salt in the wounds STV was showing the England vs Slovenia match in the same group :unsure:

Certainly I got into supporting Scotland from watching the qualifying games for the 1990 world cup on the BBC.
It saddens me to think the current generation of kids might not get that chance unless their parents have SKY.
So : Should national football competitive games be added to the list of sporting events that must be shown on "free to air" TV ?
The grand national and rugby league finals are already on the "crown jewels" list....
Why not football world cup qualifiers too ?

https://www.theguardian.com/media/2009/jun/09/crown-jewels-sporting-events

This is simply another area in which the SFA have managed to put short-term commercial interest before what would be good for football in Scotland long-term.

Not having Scotland matches available on terrestrial tv - at the very least an accessible and specific highlights programme - should be insisted upon. The future of Scottish football requires kids to be inspired by seeing Scotland - to want to play in the national team, to see themselves playing there. (ok some hope just now) Goodness knows kids have enough competing images, but to vacate the TV arena completely space is unforgivable.

In similar fashion the SFA also signed an exclusive deal with JD Sports for merchandise. The upshot of this is that Scotland shirts are not available in may towns, without competiton the price is ridiculously high and with limited outlets to sell products adidas simply do not have any motivation to produce a decent range (or it could be argued to design a decent bespoke kit any more). The knock-on effect is that when kids go out to play football, the likelihood is that they will not be wearing Scotland gear.

If you add in ticket prices, cost of the SSC the pattern is clear, the SFA pay too much attention to short-term financial targets without paying any heed to the future. That does not smack of good governance.

It can be difficult in terms of ticket prices but in terms of TV, nobody should be priced out of watching their national team! 

I'm now at the age & lucky enough to be in a position to get along to all of the games home & away. Growing up though I loved watching the away games on tv. 

How can youngsters get excited about the team nowadays if they can't watch them? Sad state of affairs. 

30 minutes ago, flicktokick said:

This is simply another area in which the SFA have managed to put short-term commercial interest before what would be good for football in Scotland long-term.

Not having Scotland matches available on terrestrial tv - at the very least an accessible and specific highlights programme - should be insisted upon. The future of Scottish football requires kids to be inspired by seeing Scotland - to want to play in the national team, to see themselves playing there. (ok some hope just now) Goodness knows kids have enough competing images, but to vacate the TV arena completely space is unforgivable.

In similar fashion the SFA also signed an exclusive deal with JD Sports for merchandise. The upshot of this is that Scotland shirts are not available in may towns, without competiton the price is ridiculously high and with limited outlets to sell products adidas simply do not have any motivation to produce a decent range (or it could be argued to design a decent bespoke kit any more). The knock-on effect is that when kids go out to play football, the likelihood is that they will not be wearing Scotland gear.

If you add in ticket prices, cost of the SSC the pattern is clear, the SFA pay too much attention to short-term financial targets without paying any heed to the future. That does not smack of good governance.

The current TV deals are sold centrally by UEFA to each countries broadcasters, has nothing to do with the SFA. Not sure how it works with ITV but they may pay Sky a huge fee to take the England games off them.

The English Internationals had traditionally been sold along with the FA Cup rights, with a separate secondary/highlights package, but I take your point.

As people have pointed out elsewhere, England qualifiers are included on the 'Crown Jewels' list, I have not seen a single report that the SFA have requested that our internationals are added to that category.

In the end I bought a "now TV" pass for £6 to stream the match on sky - don't have a subscription and refuse to get one.
However I did think that most of that cash likely goes straight into funding the EPL (rather than back into Scottish game).

As least if the games are on BBC / STV then Scottish football benefits from a wider audience.

That'll change on independence. Quite pathetic really, any other country in europe, or even the world, that doesn't have it's own national team's games on it's own tv channels but has it's rivals? 

On 10/13/2016 at 11:24 PM, bossman4 said:

The current TV deals are sold centrally by UEFA to each countries broadcasters, has nothing to do with the SFA. Not sure how it works with ITV but they may pay Sky a huge fee to take the England games off them.

And does the SFA have no relationship with STV?

They are both based in Glasgow - are you saying that UEFA have banned National Football Associations from encouraging their national broadcaster to show their games? 

4 hours ago, Goozay said:

They are both based in Glasgow - are you saying that UEFA have banned National Football Associations from encouraging their national broadcaster to show their games? 

Pretty much yeah, apart from friendlies.

On 10/15/2016 at 3:22 PM, Goozay said:

Basically UEFA sell the rights for the FA, then put the money in a pot to distribute equally between all the FA's.

End of the day it comes down to money.... if Sky are going to offer shrapnel for the rights to Scotland games, it is still going to be A LOT more than what BBC and ITV will offer (both of whom seem to be totally phasing out sport these days.... apart from England games, ITV hardly shows any sport live now, and do BBC have any sport of any kind these days?).

STV will get the Scotland v England games by default due to being a sub-division of ITV, but the STV budget does not have enough in it to cover sporting events like they used to.

I got brought up on hardly seeing any qualifiers on TV 

recall very few games being on TV - Israel-Scotland, - Finland-Scotland - only ones i remember from top head

games were all highlights packages - only the finals you got to see on TV live 

Plenty i only remember seeing highlights - Scotland France about 92, Scotland Austria around same , Scotland-Greece 95 

Guess we started getting games on TV more around 96, cos my 1st Scotland proper away match in Latvia i got spotted on TV, among other folk who should have been at work, or shouldn't have been hanging onto latvian lasses 

22 minutes ago, euan2020 said:

I got brought up on hardly seeing any qualifiers on TV 

recall very few games being on TV - Israel-Scotland, - Finland-Scotland - only ones i remember from top head

games were all highlights packages - only the finals you got to see on TV live 

Plenty i only remember seeing highlights - Scotland France about 92, Scotland Austria around same , Scotland-Greece 95 

Guess we started getting games on TV more around 96, cos my 1st Scotland proper away match in Latvia i got spotted on TV, among other folk who should have been at work, or shouldn't have been hanging onto latvian lasses 

Recall most (if not all) the WC90 qualifiers were on STV (recall Yugoslavia away was on, as we could have qualified that night and STV had a extended football special with Jim White on to cover the game).... not 100% sure, but Euro 92 and WC94 games were on Sky.... Recall most the Euro 96 qualifiers were on BBC (as you said, Finland away was, as it kicked off just as I came through the door from school)... Euro 2000 and WC 2002 games were on Channel 5 (I think we were their first venture into showing football)... after this it then became a case of home games on Sky and away games on BBC until the last campaign.

They need to be on our terrestrial channels, how are we supposed to encourage and enthuse kids to aspire to the national team if they never see them? it's ridiculous especially considering how much the license fee is and how much it revenue generates. Proportionally we get a joke fee so where's the money going? 

On 14/10/2016 at 11:01 AM, Bzzzz said:

That'll change on independence. Quite pathetic really, any other country in europe, or even the world, that doesn't have it's own national team's games on it's own tv channels but has it's rivals? 

Aye thank the nawbags as they voted to be ruled by their English rulers and masters.

On 10/17/2016 at 9:40 AM, wanderer said:

Basically UEFA sell the rights for the FA, then put the money in a pot to distribute equally between all the FA's.

End of the day it comes down to money.... if Sky are going to offer shrapnel for the rights to Scotland games, it is still going to be A LOT more than what BBC and ITV will offer (both of whom seem to be totally phasing out sport these days.... apart from England games, ITV hardly shows any sport live now, and do BBC have any sport of any kind these days?).

STV will get the Scotland v England games by default due to being a sub-division of ITV, but the STV budget does not have enough in it to cover sporting events like they used to.

If the SFA saw it as a priority, they would hop in a taxi to Pacific Quay and explore all options to get our national team on council telly.

SFA clearly don’t see it as an issue that kids are growing up watching England play on STV, but not Scotland.

As such, SFA haven’t bothered their arse.

16 minutes ago, Goozay said:

If the SFA saw it as a priority, they would hop in a taxi to Pacific Quay and explore all options to get our national team on council telly.

SFA clearly don’t see it as an issue that kids are growing up watching England play on STV, but not Scotland.

As such, SFA haven’t bothered their arse.

End of the day its all about making money and no doubt the SFA/UEFA will have put it out to tender, so its naturally they will go with the highest bidder (someone on one of the Facebook groups got a letter back from STV basically saying they can not compete with Sky for the rights to show the matches)

3 minutes ago, wanderer said:

End of the day its all about making money and no doubt the SFA/UEFA will have put it out to tender, so its naturally they will go with the highest bidder (someone on one of the Facebook groups got a letter back from STV basically saying they can not compete with Sky for the rights to show the matches)

End of the day its all about the SFA shrugging their shoulders and sitting on their hands.