Morton v Aberdeen - Page 4 - Football related - Discussion of non TA football - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Morton v Aberdeen

1 hour ago, AberdeenAngus said:

It would've been a great test to see how Easter Road was with a full house compared to Tynecastle for a semi final.

Shame the SPFL got it wrong again.

Surely it would have suited Morton as well playing on a tighter pitch.

• Replies 130
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

12 hours ago, Rossy said:

Allegedly....and I'm only re-quoting what I've heard, so no idea if it's true or not....Morton told the SPFL they could sell 10,000 tickets..

In the end they sold less than 4,000.

Aberdeen were more realistic in saying that if the game was in Edinburgh, we could sell 15K plus. If the game was at Hampden, then a bit less than that.,

It was criminal that the game was played out in an empty stadium.....absolute ignorance and incompetence of the highest type. Again though, nothing we haven't come to expect.

Morton would have played the game in Edinburgh if Aberdeen hadn't tried to play the Billy big times and demand more than 3/4 of the stadium. 

Edited by goodguy

38 minutes ago, goodguy said:

Morton would have played the game in Edinburgh if Aberdeen hadn't tried to play the Billy big times and demand more than 3/4 of the stadium. 

Based on the number of tickets Morton managed to sell for a stadium 30mins up the road I don't really have an issue with Aberdeen asking for 3/4 of a stadium over an hour away.

1 hour ago, goodguy said:

Instead of that happening,Morton showed what a diddy team they really are by having <4K at their first national semi final in what,nearly 40 years,after saying they would have at least 10k,when it wasn't on their own doorstep  

Clowns don't deserve the time of day. 

Next......

Edited by dandydunn

51 minutes ago, Baz said:

Based on the number of tickets Morton managed to sell for a stadium 30mins up the road I don't really have an issue with Aberdeen asking for 3/4 of a stadium over an hour away.

Why should Morton be put at a disadvantage by it being like a home game for Aberdeen? Hampden was absolutely the correct choice. 

17 minutes ago, dandydunn said:

Instead of that happening,Morton showed what a diddy team they really are by having <4K at their first national semi final in what,nearly 40 years,after saying they would have at least 10k,when it wasn't on their own doorstep  

Clowns don't deserve the time of day. 

Next......

Classy. 

At at least your manager and fans at the game yesterday had a touch of class about them. 

Classy. 

At at least your manager and fans at the game yesterday had a touch of class about them. 

Thanks. 

I just thought I would reply to your "billy big time" comment. 

I was at the game,and whilst I'm not the most classy guy in the world,I don't really care about applauding a team that lost,that I don't support  

Why should Morton be put at a disadvantage by it being like a home game for Aberdeen? Hampden was absolutely the correct choice. 

No one is asking for home advantage possibilities,people are embarrassed that yet another national semi final,broadcast the world over,looks like an absolute shambles of a place as its only 1/3rd full. 

No atmosphere can be generated in that,I assume that Morton fans were singing a lot of the game,especially the start of the 2nd half when they were on top imo,but from the west stand,I couldn't hear a thing. 

If this was played in Edinburgh,the noise would've been locked in and created a better spectacle all round. 

Just you stay on your high horse and pretend it's because Morton couldn't be arsed getting pumped in another city. :ok:

34 minutes ago, dandydunn said:

Thanks. 

I just thought I would reply to your "billy big time" comment. 

I was at the game,and whilst I'm not the most classy guy in the world,I don't really care about applauding a team that lost,that I don't support  

No one is asking for home advantage possibilities,people are embarrassed that yet another national semi final,broadcast the world over,looks like an absolute shambles of a place as its only 1/3rd full. 

No atmosphere can be generated in that,I assume that Morton fans were singing a lot of the game,especially the start of the 2nd half when they were on top imo,but from the west stand,I couldn't hear a thing. 

If this was played in Edinburgh,the noise would've been locked in and created a better spectacle all round. 

Just you stay on your high horse and pretend it's because Morton couldn't be arsed getting pumped in another city. :ok:

Better on a high horse than full of it.

If Aberdeen had been willing to start at 50:50 ticket sales game would have been in Edinburgh. They weren't then blamed everybody else for game being at Hampden. 

Scottish football has got far more to be embarrassed about on a world stage than playing a semi at an empty Hampden. 

Edited by goodguy

11 minutes ago, goodguy said:

If Aberdeen had been willing to start at 50:50 ticket sales game would have been in Edinburgh. They weren't then blamed everybody else for game being at Hampden. 

Scottish football has got far more to be embarrassed about on a world stage than playing a semi at an empty Hampden. 

Morton said they would take 10k plus. 

That immediately rules out another stadium. 

Aberdeen said they would take less than 15k to hampden due to ko time and travel difficulties etc. 

Pipe doon and we'll see you in another 40 years. 

I don't often defend the football authorities, but they're between a rock and a hard place.

Play it in Edinburgh and they'd be open to accusations of locking fans out if either end sells out.

Hampden should be the default location unless both sides agree to an alternative, which in this case they couldn't.

24 minutes ago, goodguy said:

So Morton could only sell 4K tickets for a game only 30 minutes away, but  its Aberdeen's fault for not agreeing to Morton getting 11k tickets for a game at Easter Road ?

:lol:

Good one.

3 minutes ago, Rossy said:

So Morton could only sell 4K tickets for a game only 30 minutes away, but  its Aberdeen's fault for not agreeing to Morton getting 11k tickets for a game at Easter Road ?

:lol:

Good one.

I did say starting point of 50:50 ;) every club playing in semi finals or finals should at least be entitled to try and sell half the ground. 

I'm not saying it's Aberdeen's fault whatsoever, only pointing out that they played a part in the situation. Something that appears to be a major issue admitting to!

Edited by goodguy

3 minutes ago, goodguy said:

I did say starting point of 50:50 ;) every club playing in semi finals or finals should at least be entitled to try and sell half the ground. 

I'm not saying it's Aberdeen's fault whatsoever, only pointing out that they played a part in the situation. Something that appears to be a major issue admitting to!

Starting point should be a 50:50 split. However Morton saying they needed 10k tickets but only having 4K at the game looks pathetic and amateurish IMO. 

If there was a word to describe how Morton are run you've absolutely nailed it with "amateurish". 

Our support is unpredictable though, wasn't that long ago we took 5000 to a scottish cup tie against Motherwell so can understand why we said 10k. Appears the Rae family have damaged the support beyond repair. 

4 hours ago, sbcmfc said:

I don't often defend the football authorities, but they're between a rock and a hard place.

Play it in Edinburgh and they'd be open to accusations of locking fans out if either end sells out.

Hampden should be the default location unless both sides agree to an alternative, which in this case they couldn't.

Morton wanted it played at Hamden. They got what they wanted. 

6 hours ago, goodguy said:

No Hampden was not "absolutely the right choice"

No scottish

football fan would agree. Regardless of who you support, if one team can sell 14000 tickets and the other 4000 then so be it!

Just because it's a neutral venue shouldn't men fans are locked out.

why should 50/50 be a starting point when there is no hope in hell of Morton selling 9000 tickets???

M

15 minutes ago, Baz said:

No Hampden was not "absolutely the right choice"

No scottish

football fan would agree. Regardless of who you support, if one team can sell 14000 tickets and the other 4000 then so be it!

Just because it's a neutral venue shouldn't men fans are locked out.

why should 50/50 be a starting point when there is no hope in hell of Morton selling 9000 tickets???

Because it's the right thing to do. 

Obviously Aberdeen should now only get 11,000 tickets for final as Celtic will take more fans. Or will that be different?

58 minutes ago, goodguy said:

M

Because it's the right thing to do. 

Obviously Aberdeen should now only get 11,000 tickets for final as Celtic will take more fans. Or will that be different?

Aberdeen will sell their 50% share for the final

30 minutes ago, sbcmfc said:

Yes, but that's the way it probably should work. If the 2 teams can't agree on a venue it reverts to Hampden.

It's a default that suits certain teams. Anyway, it's a moot point, I just think Hampden is sh1t and it was even more sh1t than normal on Saturday. 

Edited by SMcoolJ

Just now, SMcoolJ said:

It's a default that suits certain teams. Anyway, it's a moot point, I just think Hamadan is sh1t and it was even more sh1t than normal on Saturday. 

I don't disagree with you really. It's a damn site closer to Greenock than Aberdeen.

KO times etc don't help.

Unfortuantely there's nothing that bridges the gap between Easter Road/Tynecastle and Hampden in terms of size.

10 hours ago, dandydunn said:

Why will Celtic take more fans?

That's not the point I'm making.

11 hours ago, vanderark14 said:

Aberdeen will sell their 50% share for the final

I know, but it goes against what others have been arguing here, surely as the bigger team Celtic deserve more than 50% of the allocation? As the smaller team Aberdeen should just roll over and take it. Celtic fans within their right to argue that Aberdeen took around 11,000 to the semi then they shouldn't get anymore.