Morton v Aberdeen - Page 3 - Football related - Discussion of non TA football - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Morton v Aberdeen

• Replies 130
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

On 10/21/2016 at 11:26 AM, Doakes said:

Allegedly Ayr were denied a stonewall penalty!

I'm split on this one tbf. Morton wouldn't let us forget it if they got to a final.... but it would still be nice to see them do something for a change. Not won a major trophy since 1922 :lol:

Aw that's so nice that your wee team rivals have actually won a major trophy at all. Almost makes them seem relevant. Wish our rivals in Ayrshire had similarly won a major trophy. Alas, no. Never. Ever. :rolleyes:

52 minutes ago, Tartan_Don said:

:blink:Eh??? 

You go and follow Celtic to an away game and I guarentee you the folk most pissed, singing shite songs and generally behaving like arseholes are the teuchtar fans. I'd ban them from Celtic park if I had my way.

11 minutes ago, Mox said:

You go and follow Celtic to an away game and I guarentee you the folk most pissed, singing shite songs and generally behaving like arseholes are the teuchtar fans. I'd ban them from Celtic park if I had my way.

I agree and im not a celtic fan. most of the "loonies" are always from little villages in Ayrshire ,fife and the like.

50 minutes ago, Mox said:

Seen enough a the "best supporters in the world" in ma time that a would prefer never tae have any interaction with them and their ugly sisters again 

2 minutes ago, Big Col said:

Game should have been in Edinburgh.

Yes and Aberdeen suggested this. Morton said they would need 10k tickets - which, to be fair, they may have needed if the game was a 3pm ko. 

When are our "decision makers" going to realise that accepting derisory financial TV deals in lieu of fans convenience is a terrible idea and extremely short sighted?

I have never seen so many police at a game in my puff. 

At least 6-8 of them sat in the front of the west stand and watched the game. 

Bizarre,overtime must be huge this weekend,or there's us a 0% crime rate in Glasgow  

Edited by dandydunn

Strange match given what Aberdeen have produced recently.

Started on fire which could maybe should have brought a goal. Thereafter Morton managed to slow the game down by taking their time over everything and breaking up play with a series of fouls and Aberdeen failed to up the tempo again.

Although Aberdeen always looked the stronger side I'm not sure how things would have turned out had it stayed 0-0 for another 5-10 mins.

First Hampden win for Aberdeen since 2000 so onwards to another test in the final.

Could've been much better. If one of those early chances hadve went in, it might've been a much more comfortable afternoon. As it was, Morton made it very difficult. If Quitongo hadve put his chance away, then who knows. 

I think we were worthy winners though. It's great to be in a cup final again too. :) 

On 21/10/2016 at 11:56 AM, Stewart_Aberdeen said:

Aye Hibs was the last so I've never seen us win there.

Results since:

0-2 Celtic LCF 99/00
0-4 Rangers SCF 99/00
3-4 QoS SCSF 07/08
0-4 Celtic SCSF 10/11
1-2 Hibs SCSF 11/12
1-2 Dun Utd LCSF 14/15

Can obviously blame the Rolling Stones for not allowing us to break the Hampden hoodoo against Queen's Park.

It was indeed six until today but that didn't include the 2000 CIS cup final,  which was a few weeks before the Hibs semi. 

4 hours ago, Toepoke said:

Unlucky the Ton, certainly put Killie's performance against Aberdeen to shame...

They weren't unlucky in the slightest. 

Aberdeen were in general head and shoulders in footballing terms above Morton. I agree that there was a 15 minute period where Morton's deliberate tactic to bring Aberdeen down to their level looked to be working, but over 90 minutes Abeerden were deserved winners.....even if the game was a painful experience from start to finish.

The game should undoubtedly have been played at Easter Road. As pointed out, it was only Morton's ridiculous over-estimation of their own support that stopped that.

Out of interest what was Mortons estimated figures? 

Surely 10k would still have seen Easter Road being okayed? Surely they didn't go above that? I presume the split today was 10k Aberdeen 6kMorton ? 

No doubt folk will argue a 3pm would mean plenty more from each side but lets be realistic and cater for those we know will turn up. 

3 minutes ago, macy37 said:

Out of interest what was Mortons estimated figures? 

Surely 10k would still have seen Easter Road being okayed? Surely they didn't go above that? I presume the split today was 10k Aberdeen 6kMorton ? 

No doubt folk will argue a 3pm would mean plenty more from each side but lets be realistic and cater for those we k00now will turn up. 

Allegedly....and I'm only re-quoting what I've heard, so no idea if it's true or not....Morton told the SPFL they could sell 10,000 tickets..

In the end they sold less than 4,000.

Aberdeen were more realistic in saying that if the game was in Edinburgh, we could sell 15K plus. If the game was at Hampden, then a bit less than that.,

It was criminal that the game was played out in an empty stadium.....absolute ignorance and incompetence of the highest type. Again though, nothing we haven't come to expect.