Strachan on Griffiths - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Strachan on Griffiths

podgers1903

Not sure how much truth is in this story, but according to the Herald this is why Griffiths has not been playing.

Gordon Strachan warns that Celtic striker Leigh Griffiths faces a difficult task, on account of his smaller stature, to work his way into the starting line-up for the World Cup qualifier against England at Wembley next month. In Scotland's two recent matches Strachan opted for more physical players up front - Steven Fletcher and Chris Martin. The Scotland boss says, "You need to have a certain amount of height in international football teams to defend set plays". 

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I get that if you were playing a team like Belgium who are almost all big strong athletes, and I understand you can't play a team of dwarves, but you can have a mix of players and not every team is a Belgium.

Lithuania certainly weren't, they were technically decent, with 2 big lumps at centre half who were delighted to get into a physical battle.

It's an even more bizarre comment when it's analysed next to the rest of his selections: 

1. 6 foot + forward Burke sent home - Matt Ritchie starts

2. Naismith, excellent header of the ball, sent home - McArthur/Bannan start

3. Poor in the air Tierney starts - Lee Wallace, strong and confident in the air, on the bench. 

But then i'm long passed expecting logic and consistency from Strachan. 

Yeah I noticed height was big criteria for you Gordon when you regularly picked and played the 5 foot 7 inch Shaun Maloney. ##### just makes it up as he goes along now and thinks folk will swallow any old shite he throws out. Christ going by this he would never have selected himself as a player to play for Scotland, dwarf kent. Fact is he has his wee favourites and his anti-favourites and all the rest is just Gordon blah blah pish to make it sound rational when it is not, just a case of him thinking he always knows better, in fact it is worse he is a contrary little fhucker wants to defy common sense to show he astonishing genius... what a dick.

I'm of the assumption that Gordon's brain and mouth never talk to each other and are heading in totally different directions.

It would be utterly scary to think that Gordon actually believes what he's saying. I'm presuming that he thinks rationally, but it just comes out of his mouth in a totally different way.

Edited by Rossy

Just now, Squirrelhumper said:

The man is a complete and utter moron.

Hopefully the Scotland job is his last ever in football. 

Agreed.

Cant believe the knob has another 4 weeks in him. If he doesnt go after the Wembley rout, the SFA can stick it.

Just now, Squirrelhumper said:

The man is a complete and utter moron.

Hopefully the Scotland job is his last ever in football. 

He is, for me, worse than Levein and Berti.

Berti didn't have anything like the talent (Although reasonably limited) Strachan has to choose from.

Levein, I think, might have even got us closer to qualifying from this group.

Just go now Gordon...

1 minute ago, ProudScot said:

He is, for me, worse than Levein and Berti.

Berti didn't have anything like the talent (Although reasonably limited) Strachan has to choose from.

Levein, I think, might have even got us closer to qualifying from this group.

Just go now Gordon...

He got shown up for being the fraud that he is at Boro.

Speakt to any Boro fan about him, it's depressing.

Couple of things:

Relaying on strikers to defend set pieces instead of making our defenders better at it?

Is this a new excuse he has come up with? He hasn't had a problem in picking Barry Bannan, Ikechi Anya and Shaun Maloney in the past. All are all smaller than Griffiths (and James Forrest is a whopping 2cm taller too)

Is the whole team back defending each set piece? Who is staying up to make a counter attack? (Or chase the punt up the park?)