How big is this match? - England v Scotland - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

How big is this match?

GaryWood34

Okay. So the tickets are now sold. The dust has settled or at worst is settling after a disappointing last two matches.

For the following question forget the manager and the players we have. Forget their boring passionless manager and over rated squad as well. 

It's England v Scotland in a competitive match. Winner can go/stay top of a World Cup group.

How big is this match? Biggest in the last 5 years, 7 years, 10 years? Biggest since 1998? 1999? 2000? Not big at all? You tell me. 

On a personal note - How big is this match for you? I grew up dreaming of us beating England at Wembley. Big Don made it happen but I was too young to really enjoy it. I bounced about the away end at Wembley a few years ago as we took the lead twice in a "friendly" (sure as shit didn't feel like one) - It was nice but they won. Bitter sweet.

For me even if we were out this would be huge. I believe that England v Scotland is the pinnacle - it simply doesn't get better and for me this is the biggest match since that 1-0 win but 2-0 aggregate defeat.

Little unfancied unfashionable Scotland turning up to Wembley and beating them - with all their cash, 24/7 media including their precious sky sports and their egos. That would be far too sweet. 

Over to you.

Massive for me on a persoal note as i live down south and would make sure they never heard the end of it . In reality its huge cause a win puts us right back in there. A defeat leaves us too much to do  but a draw would be ok ,  good for our players confidence and also keeps us on their tails 

2 minutes ago, Squirrelhumper said:

That's the spirit.

Do you blame me? :lol: 

I'm sure as the game gets nearer i'll look forward to it. All i feel now is a mixture of apathy and apprehension. 

I'm so dejected right now with our recent failings but let's not kid ourselves. This game is fvking massive. I know we are huge underdogs and we have been ultra pish over the last while but in a one off derby game form can sometimes go out the window. I'll be right up for this come the week of the game.

Edited by Ormond

10 minutes ago, Ormond said:

I'm so dejected right now with our recent failings but let's not kid ourselves. This game is fvking massive. I know we are huge underdogs and we have been ultra pish over the last while but in a one off derby game form can sometimes go out the window. I'll be right up for this come the week of the game.

??

2 hours ago, Ormond said:

:ok: On the money!

It's amusing seeing some folk trying their best to play it down. Of course we are all pissed off with recent performances & results, with our manager seemingly on a self destruct mission with his weird soundbites & selections. BUT, this is the one game that should get every Scotland fan buzzing with anticipation of the possibility of getting one over them in their own back yard in a competitive match.

2 hours ago, Ormond said:

Exactly my feelings. Can't wait. 

14 hours ago, Ormond said:

After all it's a game of two halves and a real six-pointer. England have some top, top players but if our lads give it 110% we might cause an upset. With some real no-nonsense defending and a never say die spirit, we might be able to tame England's golden generation. 

*Other cliches are available*

1 hour ago, Parklife said:

After all it's a game of two halves and a real six-pointer. England have some top, top players but if our lads give it 110% we might cause an upset. With some real no-nonsense defending and a never say die spirit, we might be able to tame England's golden generation. 

*Other cliches are available*

FFS. :lol: How can you manage to look for the worst in posts? :lol:

I've had the feeling of impending doom going on my travels in the past.

My first trip away was Paris 2007. I thought we were going to get ripped a new ass hole.

we went to Croatia when they were ranked 3rd or 4th in the world and we were just rank.

Germany, last campaign. Ok, we got beat but a bit more belief and we could have got something from the game. It's only once we have our self belief back that we go and get kicked in the baws again.

Ive got the same feelings about this one. We'll beat Eng*#nd then go and feck it up somewhere else.