Should The Yes Campaign Continue. - Page 8 - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Should The Yes Campaign Continue.

• Replies 216
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The once in a generation idea is a crock of shyte... What I have now realised is that unity between yes parties will see independence with 5 years

They used to say an SNP majority in Westminster would be a mandate for independence (this was back before devolution). Appreciate that's probably different now, but a sizeable number of Yes MPs being elected next year would send a huge message...

Flora - have a couple of Dino Zoff's, clear your head and think things through big man. I am officially ignoring your text of earlier this evening.

You are a good man. It's tough at the moment, really tough after all that has happened. But deep down you know that the fight is still there. Get the chin up and continue the fight. That's what the bastards want in seeing you deflated like this. Rise above the fuckers and let's continue to fight the good fight and show the bastards up for what they are.

I am ignoring your earlier text too. It'll take more than a £10 Ness voucher before I'd consider that. Cannae speak for Heuch or Mindi though.

So far Mindi and I are starting a movement and you can be our press officer. Mindi is too busy ironing and tapping her coffee cup whilst thinking about 'her Paul' wittering on and I have difficulty with foul language. Well I don't but others do.

Facebook friend of mine just shared this article.

http://www.independent.co.uk/voices/comment/scottish-referendum-so-how-about-the-english-now-being-given-a-chance-to-split-from-england-9745307.html

Excellent satire IMO. I particularly like the bit about "Lord" Reid.

Excellent but also made me depressingly sad. Exactly what satire is supposed to do I suppose.

Flora - have a couple of Dino Zoff's, clear your head and think things through big man. I am officially ignoring your text of earlier this evening.

You are a good man. It's tough at the moment, really tough after all that has happened. But deep down you know that the fight is still there. Get the chin up and continue the fight. That's what the bastards want in seeing you deflated like this. Rise above the fuckers and let's continue to fight the good fight and show the bastards up for what they are.

Cheers, King, but I'm finished with this place. Italia for me.

Excellent but also made me depressingly sad. Exactly what satire is supposed to do I suppose.

Yep I found myself laughing at one paragraph and depressed at the next.

The English should now have a referendum, in which the English decide whether we want to leave England or not. Yes campaigners can insist we have nothing against England, and even wish to remain on healthy terms with England, but we’d rather go our own way and no longer be dragged into wars and bedroom taxes and privatisations of railways and mail services. We might even come back one day, but for the time being we’ll set up our own country and start all over again, and if England won’t let us keep the pound we’ll go into a currency union with Scotland.

The once in a generation idea is a crock of shyte... What I have now realised is that unity between yes parties will see independence with 5 years

The once in a generation thing would have applied had this been a fair fight.

The No is not legitimate so they can get fukked on the once in a generation pish...

Also I am writing a letter to Nicola Sturgeon this week as you can be sure when she becomes first minister she will be asked to guarantee that another vote won't be held for a generation or lifetime. David Cameron is a also already pushing this as is the daily mail. She needs to answer this well along the lines of if future government's stand on platform or have a pledge in their manifestos then it is up to the people to vote for it or not. If a future government stands on a referendum pledge and win a majority then there is a clear mandate.

Also these people are only joining the snp to keep the independence movement going. The snp need to stand on another referendum pledge in 2016. If they don't then these people will fall away and I would also reconsider my vote for the snp.

I have seen posts on Facebook that yes Scotland is disbanding. It would have been good to continue the umbrella group, build up funds and keep campaigning.

Presumably, for official reasons the Yes political parties need to be seen to accept the result, and a continuing YS organisation would be as against the spirit of the Edinburgh agreement as a post-indy Better Together organisation.

However, you can;t just stimulate a national mass grassroots movement and expect everyone to disband themselves.

Something lives on here, so it's a question of how to channel it

Presumably, for official reasons the Yes political parties need to be seen to accept the result, and a continuing YS organisation would be as against the spirit of the Edinburgh agreement as a post-indy Better Together organisation.

However, you can;t just stimulate a national mass grassroots movement and expect everyone to disband themselves.

Something lives on here, so it's a question of how to channel it

ahahahahahahaha that is a good one.

There's local Facebook page just been launched in Inverclyde which by the end of day one has over 300 members ready to engage in tactical voting to rid Inverclyde of Labour. I'm still utterly devastated by the return. However I am moved now, more than ever before to see an independent Scotland in my lifetime. I'll be helping as much as I can. (This should be hilarious as I have numerous other commitments ). I don't think we are done yet. All Westmonster have succeeded in doing is awake the sleeping dragon. I have never seen more people in my community engaged in politics - never. I've had a crash course myself the last two years. Now every single day I learn more and a lot of knowledge I have gained from the good folks here. Still with everything to play for, this was one campaign. Please keep the information coming. Everything you share is valuable information.

If Salmond shot himself in the foot somewhere along the line in campaigning it was him saying (a few times) it was a once in a life time chance and that there shouldn't be another referendum for a generation (or 25 years).

Sorry but that is just wrong in my eyes especially when this vote was so close 55% to 45% by no means a definite two fingers up to Independence like some are wanting us to believe now such as that dinosaur Menzies Campbell. If such a result came back in a general election you invariably have a hung parliament and another election months later to revisit the situation. Just as in boxing if you get a split decision you invariably get a rematch somewhere down the line.

We may not get a Referendum for another very long time (I hope that isn't the case) but one thing is certain the question will never go away however much the unionists want it to as 1.6 million and more one the verge of being converted is just too strong a voice to be ignored.

I always feared this result this time around. Lets remember the first polls a couple of years back had the yes vote at 20% so it was always going to be difficult to start from a position like that and storm through to win. However, this Referendum result seeing the yes vote more than double to 45% is certainly a position to blow the 50% mark out of the water should the question arise again. We are starting from a much better base camp.

Remember that if another vote comes in say five years or even ten what will the political landscape? Well it is a given we will have seen loads more Westminster mismanagement with perhaps more unwanted wars ie V Islamic State, more corruption and more brain-dead policies that affect us all. On top of that the union will have crumbled further. For all we know by that time England may be in the early stages of creating its own parliament and Wales may have gained more power and the same for Northern Ireland. That being the case it becomes obvious the union is only going one way and that is OUT and so will less committed unionists throw in the towel and vote for Independence? I would say you will certainly pick up more votes as the disillusionment grows.

In short sit tight and keep hammering on that creaking door and it will open.

If Salmond shot himself in the foot somewhere along the line in campaigning it was him saying (a few times) it was a once in a life time chance and that there shouldn't be another referendum for a generation (or 25 years).

I think Salmond was right to say that a decisive referendum on sovereignty should be a rare event.

I believe he also iterated it wouldn't happen again on his watch.

Well a couple of things have changed:-

1) Salmond's stepped aside, time will tell if this move was in part to pave the way for a possible referendum replay.

2) The referendum became a fudge. In the final days of the campaign the goalposts were moved and we were told, not just by Westminster but the media too, that the choice was between independence and devo-max. As a consequence failure to deliver a satisfactory resolution to the No vote could be seen as a mandate to call for another referendum.

Yes toepoke I see that. Just watching on TV and some journalist is stating that Westmonster have to come up with the promises they made to Scotland otherwise it is perfectly feasible/plausible for Scotland to demand another Referendum straight away. Playing devil's advocate here then what if the powers in the bill aren't what Scots want? We don't exactly get a say in what these new powers will be so they could conceivably be totally naff powers (and think they will be) or in other words a rip-off. Could that then be sufficient to deman another Referendum?

I think it would be Craig, and with a majority in Holyrood the SNP could call for a re-run any time up to May 2016. It would be difficult for Westminster to agree in that timescale but faced with the threat of a UDI for example they might not have a choice.

We are holding the aces here...