Alternatives to Trafalgar Square - England v Scotland - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Re-posting this because a couple of jokers:lol: decided to hijack the last post with Harry Potter nonsense....:rolleyes:

I am hoping to Rally the troops and while I appreciate that, for many, November :chillpill::shocked: is not a favorable time of year to stand outside, there are a lot of us that do enjoy being outdoors in a big crowd having a sing song :sing::beer2::guitar::sing: and mingling with locals.

Now Trafalgar square is our traditional home from home when in London for matches against the Auld enemy and I have always gone there and it has been fantastic, however, there is a remembrance day event on in the morning into the early afternoon. I am led to believe that the square (or at least part of it) will be off limits while the stage etc. is cleared up. Also there is likely to be friends and family of fallen servicemen and women who want to pay their respects, therefore in my opinion, it is not a good idea for the Tartan Army to meet there :um-no:. It would not be appropriate for kilt wearing football fans to be standing about drinking and singing, plus i would imagine the Met Police will not be slow to arrest anybody behaving like that, given the sensitivity of the date and location.

Others have suggested Leicester Square, however, there is a Christmas market which, annoyingly, begins on the day of the match! This rules this location out :um-no: as a mass gathering area.

Hyde Park has been touted as a location, I don't have any opinions on this, ^?^ perhaps someone more in the know could give pluses and minuses.....

Buckingham Palace was also touted, however, I am guessing the Met Police might not agree with that!!

Russell Square close to Euston and Kings Cross stations was mentioned. The people that mentioned this area also said there were lots of good boozers around here which would be good for a wee heat and pitstop! There will be a lot of fans coming into London at Euston and Kings Cross so this would appear to be the best option.....

Euston Square underground gives direct access to Wembley Park station so no buggering about getting there!

Although the side are not performing, I am well looking forward to this! :beer2::spin:It will be my 20th away match although I have not been away as much as I would have liked recently!!

Thoughts..............

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

8 minutes ago, Graham of Montrose said:

It would be like a gathering at Bellahouston Park before a home game. Away from the bright lights and Nothing there.

Agreed. I still think from what I have heard, Russell Square would be best, however, I have never been there so it would be best to get info from someone on the ground....

Thanks to Ambassador who has given his insight into Russell Square. Sounds good.

Willie Millers Tache also suggested Shepherds Market, which he says is good for outdoor drinking with several pubs around.

Edited by Chris frae Killie
Misquoted.

ive heard leicester square.  don't think a market should really be a problem?  

to be honest, London should really be catering for this.  Glasgow put on George Square/Merchant City for away fans.  High risk game and no people plan seems a missed opportunity.

Edited by PapofGlencoe

1 hour ago, PapofGlencoe said:

ive heard leicester square.  don't think a market should really be a problem?  

No chance, if Leicester square Christmas market is like any other I have been to, it will be mobbed and with all the stalls etc. on it will be hard to move, nevermind find an area to stand.

On 10/20/2016 at 11:41 AM, podgers1903 said:

Russell Square has next to nothing round about, no bars, its just a big grassed area

Plenty of bars within short stagger of Russell Square. Having said that, I don't remember too many at Trafalgar Square!

https://www.google.co.uk/webhp?sourceid=chrome-instant&ion=1&espv=2&ie=UTF-8#q=pub near russell square&rflfq=1&rlha=0&rllag=51522830,-123758,199&tbm=lcl&tbs=lf_msr:-1,lf_od:-1,lf_oh:-1,lf:1,lf_ui:9,lf_pqs:EAE&fll=51.52384328549489,-0.12601996537478044&fspn=0.010934304118933369,0.018453699140496882&fz=16&oll=51.5225883,-0.12192155&ospn=0.011749031085145134,0.01399048418615792&oz=15&qop=1&rlfi=hd:;si:

1 hour ago, PapofGlencoe said:

to be honest, London should really be catering for this.  Glasgow put on George Square/Merchant City for away fans.  High risk game and no people plan seems a missed opportunity.

Agreed, I guess they just have too much on their plate with the remembrance day events!

8 minutes ago, Brummie Hibs said:

Russell Square...Hyde Park - HAHAHA! 

Better options:
Covent Garden
Camden
Angel
Clapham
Carnaby Street
Soho
Even Shepherds Market...

Quiet you.

Hyde Park is great, if you're new to London you should definitely go there prematch.

3 hours ago, Graham of Montrose said:

Leicester Square / Covent Garden seems the best area for bars.

Leicester Square is a definite no go as there is a Christmas market starting the day of the game,  so there will be no room to move.

http://www.visitlondon.com/things-to-do/event/44409592-christmas-in-leicester-square#htx4dqFOEQTYE0sF.97

I have had a look and while I agree Covent Garden looks like a great setting with lots of outdoor bars and it is pedestrianised, it isn't really a square. I don't mean to sound pedantic, I couldn't care less if it was a circle or a pentagon but in terms of a big crowd (potentially 10,000+) gathering together, we would be spread around the large building in the middle of the 'square'. I don't know, I am not writing this off as it has many plus points. Russell square does not have so many bars around it as you say, although there are a few in the side streets around it and plenty more within short 5-10 minute walk. The three times in the past I have been to Wembley to follow Scotland, I have gone to Trafalgar Square and everyone has been drinking carry outs so pubs don't really come into it that much, for most. What Russell Square does have, is that it is a large open space within very short walk of the two major stations (Kings X and Euston) that most fans will arrive into and also there is a tube station at Euston that will take us straight to Wembley Park.

Edited by Chris frae Killie

1 hour ago, Chris frae Killie said:

Leicester Square is a definite no go as there is a Christmas market starting the day of the game,  so there will be no room to move.

http://www.visitlondon.com/things-to-do/event/44409592-christmas-in-leicester-square#htx4dqFOEQTYE0sF.97

I have had a look and while I agree Covent Garden looks like a great setting with lots of outdoor bars and it is pedestrianised, it isn't really a square. I don't mean to sound pedantic, I couldn't care less if it was a circle or a pentagon but in terms of a big crowd (potentially 10,000+) gathering together, we would be spread around the large building in the middle of the 'square'. I don't know, I am not writing this off as it has many plus points. Russell square does not have so many bars around it as you say, although there are a few in the side streets around it and plenty more within short 5-10 minute walk. The three times in the past I have been to Wembley to follow Scotland, I have gone to Trafalgar Square and everyone has been drinking carry outs so pubs don't really come into it that much, for most. What Russell Square does have, is that it is a large open space within very short walk of the two major stations (Kings X and Euston) that most fans will arrive into and also there is a tube station at Euston that will take us straight to Wembley Park.

Agreed, Hyde Park is the place to go. Last time I was there a good band was playing and there was a few pop-up bars and food trucks. 

Perfect fanzone IMO.

1 hour ago, Chris frae Killie said:

If you look at anything that involves a large gathering of people in the open, be that a concert, demonstration, protest or whatever then it is one of two places, usually Trafalgar Square or Hyde Park for something really large > 20000 or so.

There's a good reason for that and it's the same reason why the remembrance commemorations are in Trafalgar Square.  There isn't anywhere else that's remotely suitable.  Leicester Square is too small and access is problematic.  Russell Square's gardens FFS.  If you turn up in anything more than a couple of dozen and start drinking, the Met will be moving you on. 

Just find a boozer like everyone else. 

1 hour ago, aaid said:

If you look at anything that involves a large gathering of people in the open, be that a concert, demonstration, protest or whatever then it is one of two places, usually Trafalgar Square or Hyde Park for something really large > 20000 or so.

There's a good reason for that and it's the same reason why the remembrance commemorations are in Trafalgar Square.  There isn't anywhere else that's remotely suitable.  Leicester Square is too small and access is problematic.  Russell Square's gardens FFS.  If you turn up in anything more than a couple of dozen and start drinking, the Met will be moving you on. 

Just find a boozer like everyone else. 

Will the ATAC not publish something soon with do's and donts surrounding this fixture?