Alternatives to Trafalgar Square - Page 2 - England v Scotland - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

16 hours ago, Chris frae Killie said:

Leicester Square is a definite no go as there is a Christmas market starting the day of the game,  so there will be no room to move.

http://www.visitlondon.com/things-to-do/event/44409592-christmas-in-leicester-square#htx4dqFOEQTYE0sF.97

I have had a look and while I agree Covent Garden looks like a great setting with lots of outdoor bars and it is pedestrianised, it isn't really a square. I don't mean to sound pedantic, I couldn't care less if it was a circle or a pentagon but in terms of a big crowd (potentially 10,000+) gathering together, we would be spread around the large building in the middle of the 'square'. I don't know, I am not writing this off as it has many plus points. Russell square does not have so many bars around it as you say, although there are a few in the side streets around it and plenty more within short 5-10 minute walk. The three times in the past I have been to Wembley to follow Scotland, I have gone to Trafalgar Square and everyone has been drinking carry outs so pubs don't really come into it that much, for most. What Russell Square does have, is that it is a large open space within very short walk of the two major stations (Kings X and Euston) that most fans will arrive into and also there is a tube station at Euston that will take us straight to Wembley Park.

Not trying to sound cheeky but what is you fascination with Russel Square, You say Leicester Square is a no go, Yes the Christmas market will be on but it wont be taking up the whole of Leicester square. Still plenty of room. Still think Covent Garden is the best option apart from having to walk up a thousand stairs at the station as their is only one lift

Can't believe nobody has mentioned Sheldon Square at Paddington. Big Amphitheatre with bean bags and free table tennis, lots of bars, close to the tube and a statue of Paddington Bear. You could even jump in the canal just for the banter. What a time to be alive!

52 minutes ago, captain said:

Can't believe nobody has mentioned Sheldon Square at Paddington. Big Amphitheatre with bean bags and free table tennis, lots of bars, close to the tube and a statue of Paddington Bear. You could even jump in the canal just for the banter. What a time to be alive!

:lol:

I used to work in Sheldon Square, Kingdom Street to be exact.  I can't think of anywhere less suitable. 

Spent a lot of time in the Union though. 

1 hour ago, Brummie Hibs said:

And the pishest beer!

The Organic Lager is just drinkable. Just don't drink the Alpine Lager - there is more alcohol in a can of Bass Shandy.

Can never see the attraction with Sam Smiths pubs, the beer is rank.

You get what you pay for.

6 hours ago, Brummie Hibs said:

And the pishest beer!

The Organic Lager is just drinkable. Just don't drink the Alpine Lager - there is more alcohol in a can of Bass Shandy.

I think the lager is great in there. Is the Alpine no the weakest one? Then Taddy Lager is mid strength then there's a strong one. Have you checked these pubs out...some of them are incredible inside!

48 minutes ago, Dreaded Scotsman said:

I think the lager is great in there. Is the Alpine no the weakest one? Then Taddy Lager is mid strength then there's a strong one. Have you checked these pubs out...some of them are incredible inside!

Aye, without doubt they are great looking pubs. I used to work in Holborn, and I'd  go to The Princess Louise and the Cittie of York.  

But I generally go to pubs to drink, and the lager is not for my palate. Maybe the ale is better? 

I would recommend Sam Smiths pubs for a visit, but not to get drunk in. 

17 hours ago, Brummie Hibs said:

Aye, without doubt they are great looking pubs. I used to work in Holborn, and I'd  go to The Princess Louise and the Cittie of York.  

But I generally go to pubs to drink, and the lager is not for my palate. Maybe the ale is better? 

I would recommend Sam Smiths pubs for a visit, but not to get drunk in. 

The ale is even worse. 

Personal opinion from one who works down here:--

Russell Square - why ? There is nothing there.

Hyde Park - In November ? Not sure why ? Knightsbridge on southside has great boozers but not sure they'd be great for TA.

Covent Garden / Leicester Square  - even with the Christmas market on for an early November Friday the TA will take over. There may end up being no central point but the whole area will become tartan (a bit like Amsterdam at the last Holland  game). With 17,000+ of us there we will take over the whole area and the banter from pub to pub will .be great. 

Trafalger Square - it is remembarance Sunday not Friday but can we not use all means to get the TA who are in Lodon to be there and observe the dignaty and silence at 11 am. And persoally after that I think if we do that we should enjoy the location as usual. The remembarance is at the cenetaph not Trafalgar square

General - not English bashing (my wife is one) but with the clash with 11/11 couldnt they have volunteered some ideas ? Maybe they have and I've missed.

Top tip - those arriving in to Kings Cross simply cross the road to St Pancras and go to level one. Fantastic location where Eurostars leave from and really good boozer "the John Betjamen". London prices though.

Cheers.

On 29/10/2016 at 6:41 PM, Gala Tartan Army (Borders) said:

We are looking at The Porterhouse in Covent Garden  .

Has anyone been there. ?

Yeah, I like porterhouse. Good atmosphere and hundreds of beers to choose from. It's on several levels and made up of lots of separate sections - quite good for stumbling around in and losing all your mates when you're steaming

Having listened to more opinions and done some more research I have come to the conclusion that Granary Square next to Kings X station looks like a better option than Russell Square. It is in the same proximity to Kings X and Euston Stations and has pubs next to it, there is no grass, good open space and there are fountains!

The other option is Covent Garden but I still believe that is better suited to a smaller crowd and those who want to spend the day in the pub! (no harm in that, may even do that myself if it's raining!!)