Tierney - Thoughts? - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Tierney - Thoughts?

KennyMiller

Interested to get everyone's thoughts on him.

I think he is one for the future but should not start for a while. Far too lightweight for international football at present.

He can spot a pass and his positioning for clearances seems pretty good but his delivery generally leaves a lot to be desired and he doesn't half let a man slip past him quite often. 

If he was at a Hibs or Dundee would be be talked up as highly? I think Shinnie and Wallace are better options at present. With England coming up we need a physical left back who'll kick shit out of Walcott.

I don't understand this view that players are too inexperienced at this level or that they're one for the future. 

Surely the best way to get experience is to play in exactly this type of game.

we are playing that rubbish at the minute with no seemingly good excuse. At least if we played youngsters and got beat due to inexperience that would be more acceptable. 

Tierney has the potential to be top class. 

Talking about inexperience Pele won the world cup at 17, lightweight players such as Messi got there chance at a top side. Defenders don't need to be 6ft 6 just look at Cannovaro won just about everything as a player and is 5ft 9. We should be focusing on players ability rather than physical attributes

International football, most of the time is of a lesser standard than champions league or europa league and hes done well in those games, so he's more than capable as he proved against Slovakia. 

Edited by Mox

He has a huge amount to learn defensively, as has been shown in the last week, and at the moment I don't think he's ready for international football.

The points he needs to work on are covered up to a certain extent by his undoubted ability on the ball coming forward, and the fact that he's not really tested in Scottish football.

There are weaknesses in Tierney's game but he is only 19 and will get better and needs as much experience playing at the highest level. It really could be between him and Robertson for the left back position for the next decade, which is a great position to be in.   Kingsley potentially could challenge that pair but I wonder whether his ultimate position may be in the centre  

No point really in looking at Lee Wallace unless it's an injury crisis, look forwards, not backwards. 

He needs to improve defensively, on that i agree. However, he (and Robertson for that matter) are in the same boat. They're very talented young players who have the potential to go to the very top level. 

What will make him a better player is playing games against better opponents and learning. Sure, he may take the odd roasting but it will improve him. I think the OP is overly harsh. 

Just now, Parklife said:

He needs to improve defensively, on that i agree. However, he (and Robertson for that matter) are in the same boat. They're very talented young players who have the potential to go to the very top level. 

What will make him a better player is playing games against better opponents and learning. Sure, he may take the odd roasting but it will improve him. I think the OP is overly harsh. 

I'd agree.

Some of the hype about him was OTT, but he's a young player, with massive potential and games like last night, assuming his attitude is right (and I've seen nothing to suggest it's not), he will learn from that and improve.

1 minute ago, Parklife said:

Agree with this

There will be matches against top class opposition in the CL where he takes a beating but in the CL he's playing against the best on the planet, he won't be doing this in every match at International level with the exception of top seeded teams. 

In terms of talent he's got more than the other 3 in our back 4. 

Left back is about the only position I am not concerned about.

10 hours ago, KennyMiller said:

Interested to get everyone's thoughts on him.

I think he is one for the future but should not start for a while. Far too lightweight for international football at present.

He can spot a pass and his positioning for clearances seems pretty good but his delivery generally leaves a lot to be desired and he doesn't half let a man slip past him quite often. 

If he was at a Hibs or Dundee would be be talked up as highly? I think Shinnie and Wallace are better options at present. With England coming up we need a physical left back who'll kick shit out of Walcott.

Shinnie has been playing Midfield all season for Aberdeen, he's still a very competent left back and I think he deserves a chance before Wallace but he's behind Robertson and Tierney at the moment.

2 minutes ago, vanderark14 said:

In terms of talent he's got more than the other 3 in our back 4. 

Left back is about the only position I am not concerned about.

In terms of our back four, a friend of mines made the point during the Euros that he thought the biggest difference between us and Wales, wasn't the fact that they have Bale. It's the fact we don't have any centre backs.

I think he's right.

1 minute ago, Cove_Sheep said:

In terms of our back four, a friend of mines made the point during the Euros that he thought the biggest difference between us and Wales, wasn't the fact that they have Bale. It's the fact we don't have any centre backs.

I think he's right.

I think he's completely wrong. The biggest difference is their manager coaches team shape. 

5 minutes ago, Cove_Sheep said:

I think he's right.

3 minutes ago, Parklife said:

I think he's completely wrong. The biggest difference is their manager coaches team shape. 

At this moment in time I agree with both of you

We lack in competent let alone quality centre halves and we lack a manager who can organise a team. In saying that we lack in the quality in a lot of areas compared to Wales. Its an unfair comparison because they out gun us at the back, midfield and upfront.

12 minutes ago, Parklife said:

Biggest difference undoubtedly the ability and attitude of the teams respective managers.

"In Gord we trust" brigade are piping up again on various posts after a couple of weeks of silence #cringe

i think at international level age shouldn't matter.  If they're 17 and on form in the team.  Similarly, if they're nearly 40 the same (I wouldn't discount anybody on age).  All this build for the future is all good for clubs but at International it's the here and now that matters.  Totally disagree with this "blood the youngsters" approach whenever we hit a sticky patch.  Every game matters and is a results business.  It's the best 11 that needs picked and that's it.  Tierney and Robertson are vying for that.  Happy with either.

5 hours ago, Rossy said:

He has a huge amount to learn defensively, as has been shown in the last week, and at the moment I don't think he's ready for international football.

The points he needs to work on are covered up to a certain extent by his undoubted ability on the ball coming forward, and the fact that he's not really tested in Scottish football.

Best left back we have though. 

1 minute ago, Squirrelhumper said:

I would agree. I was very impressed with him vs. Slovakia and he now edges it over Robertson for me. He is a more complete LB than Robertson and with the advantage of being younger I think he will be the one playing most often for the foreseeable future.

56 minutes ago, Squirrelhumper said:

Maybe.

I think that maybe Robertson is a better defender at this moment in time. I also belief that a case could even be made for Lee Wallace being better defensively.

Tierney is a great left back and should start against in England, have Kingsley left back at Swansea for back up for him against England.  Hes another great prospect and only 22, spoilt for choice with Tierney, Robertson and Kingsley all there and shinnie too.  Wallace not good enough 4 seasons playing at a lower league level instead of challenging himself ruled him out of playing for us and being good enough to develop, hasn't materialised