Do we need a Scotland "green brigade"? - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Do we need a Scotland "green brigade"?

Dunty

The last few years, both home and away, the atmosphere has been really lacking. Of course performances play their part, but even before games it's quiet. Before the Slovakia game I think there was one sporadic chant before the team's came out, then the anthems, then a bit of chanting before it died out all too early.

I put it down to an aging support. Not that older fans are not going to sing, I think everyone joins in if the chants get going, but more that they're not going to create new chants or get a real buzz going about the place. There's only so many times you can sing we'll be coming and doh a deer in 90 minutes.

Celtic had that same problem. Parkhead was very quiet. Then the Green Brigade came along, and although a lot of what they do re-flags, flares and political messages are not everyone's cup of tea, they have introduced a heap of new songs into games while also revising some old ones. Against Man City the place was deafening, full on noise for 90 minutes and yet I don't think you heard the same chant twice.

There's chants there that we should be using - namely their own for Kieran Tierney.

Anyway, do we need a similar group with Scotland? Young guys given their own section at Hampden, introducing new chants, maybe singing some old Scottish folk songs, and trying to revise a tired song list? 

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You hear good songs in the pubs

We were singing one in Bratislava, really simple but went on for ages

"We're on our way

We're on our way

To the world cup, we're on our way

How we get there I don't know

How we get there I don't care

All I know's that Scotland's on our way"

11 hours ago, Dunty said:

The last few years, both home and away, the atmosphere has been really lacking. Of course performances play their part, but even before games it's quiet. Before the Slovakia game I think there was one sporadic chant before the team's came out, then the anthems, then a bit of chanting before it died out all too early.

I put it down to an aging support. Not that older fans are not going to sing, I think everyone joins in if the chants get going, but more that they're not going to create new chants or get a real buzz going about the place. There's only so many times you can sing we'll be coming and doh a deer in 90 minutes.

Celtic had that same problem. Parkhead was very quiet. Then the Green Brigade came along, and although a lot of what they do re-flags, flares and political messages are not everyone's cup of tea, they have introduced a heap of new songs into games while also revising some old ones. Against Man City the place was deafening, full on noise for 90 minutes and yet I don't think you heard the same chant twice.

There's chants there that we should be using - namely their own for Kieran Tierney.

Anyway, do we need a similar group with Scotland? Young guys given their own section at Hampden, introducing new chants, maybe singing some old Scottish folk songs, and trying to revise a tired song list? 

I think thats not a bad idea in theory (minus all the political nonsense), our home support these days is dreadful, it must be at least 20 years since we have been close the the noise generated by the "Hampden Roar" - a safe standing / singing section would be a start, however there are probably too many tanked up day trippers for this to be taken seriously.

Our home support is the worst it's ever been......

Yes we need this for sure football has modernised and so should the fans...I find in the last 25 years that Scotland matches have always been a bit dire...

I am well in favour of political messages / banners to get one over the opposition

Imagine at Wembley "Some hate the English, we don't - your just s"  the possibilities are endless...!

59 minutes ago, Doakes said:

You hear good songs in the pubs

We were singing one in Bratislava, really simple but went on for ages

"We're on our way

We're on our way

To the world cup, we're on our way

How we get there I don't know

How we get there I don't care

All I know's that Scotland's on our way"

Was that in the wee boozer in an alley around the corner from the Scottish and Irish bar ?

The one with the gorgeous barmaids ? 

We heard that in a wee bar in Trvana and carried on singing it for the rest of the trip, cracking wee ditty !

I thought the " you only scored 3, you only scored 3, how sh*t must you be, you only scored 3 " chant was amusing :lol: 

11 hours ago, Dunty said:

I think it's a good idea but like it's been said, there are too many supporters who think they are running the TA and have way too high a personal opinion of themselves and self importance.

The song list with the exception of the odd one or two is dire. 

I've said on a few occasions that certain 'club' songs could easily be adapted to Scotland but because (*insert club) sing it, then I'm not.

The idea of a singing section is a good idea as they atmosphere like the team in recent years, is well, crap to say the least.

I don't think it would happen which is a pity as the 12th man is needing to improve as much as the team does.

3 minutes ago, jock strap said:

Was that in the wee boozer in an alley around the corner from the Scottish and Irish bar ?

The one with the gorgeous barmaids ? 

We heard that in a wee bar in Trvana and carried on singing it for the rest of the trip, cracking wee ditty !

I thought the " you only scored 3, you only scored 3, how sh*t must you be, you only scored 3 " chant was amusing :lol: 

That's the one! One of the barmaids in particular kept filming us all on her phone. She was beautiful :wub:

11 hours ago, deecie said:

We've already got plenty pricks with high opinions of themselves.

Then you have attitudes like this, people who want to improve the atmosphere and support the team more vocally obviously must think they are better than everyone else.

You might be happy slurring your words to "we'll be coming" twice a game, but not everyone is.

1 minute ago, Chits And Pieces said:

Then you have attitudes like this, people who want to improve the atmosphere and support the team more vocally obviously must think they are better than everyone else.

You might be happy slurring your words to "we'll be coming" twice a game, but not everyone is.

:lol: well said ! 

That'll be us on the list now, don't worry about it, you'll receive a few posts about 'the famous' and a photo of Jimmy Calderwood.