Do we need a Scotland "green brigade"? - Page 3 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Do we need a Scotland "green brigade"?

Dunty

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Using the "green brigade" as an example has perhaps clouded some folks judgement.

A singing section or Ultras section would probably  improve the atmosphere, and increase the variety of songs and chants.

To offer an alternative view though, I find at Motherwell games there's an over reliance on "the Bois" section to start any songs/chants rather than the more organic way they traditionally came about.

1 hour ago, sbcmfc said:

To offer an alternative view though, I find at Motherwell games there's an over reliance on "the Bois" section to start any songs/chants rather than the more organic way they traditionally came about.

I've no idea what the situation is at Motherwell but you make a very good point.

In places where Ultras have taken off what you generally find is that not only do you not find other parts of the ground starting songs, they are actually not "allowed" to start songs, either by direct or implied threats or that the Ultra section will start another song to drown them out.

Organic is a great word and that's what our football culture in these Islands is all about, the crowd feeds off what is going on on the pitch and vice versa.   With Ultras, the songs and chants generally don't have any relevance to what is happening on the pitch at that time, Jeez, the idiot capos with the megaphones who control everything spend the game with their backs to the pitch so how can they even have a clue.  

I went to the Vienna Derby a few years back and both Ultra groups spent the entire game holding up banners in turn that presumably meant something to someone but to me just looked stupid.

You never get any spontaneity with Ultras, everything is pre planned.

Its contrived and artificial IMHO, if there's no link between how the crowd are reading and what is happening on the pitch then it's just noise in which case just get the boy with the tape to continue playing banging tunes during the game. 

18 hours ago, bigfathagiz said:

Wot?  "young guys singing old scottish folk songs"  at a fitbaw match? .

As for a scottish green brigade........naw thanks.

What's wrong with that ? Wouldn't mind the fans singing some Runrig or Vatersay boys...half time entertainment that Bowie guy? Nah let's get Shooglenifty or Wolfstone in...Some proper Scottish culture on the terraces.

Yes,a singing section is good idea. And I think you meant singing section rather than an 'ultra' type set-up. Currently, it's hard to support the team when your surrounded by folk booing, moaning and passionately NOT 'celebrating failure'. 

A section where like-minded individuals can stand together and vocally support the team is sure to bring a bit more atmosphere into the stadium (it's certainly hard to make it worse).

And if it results in a place where fans can be both happy and clapping. At the very least you'll have enraged the elite, who would rather you kill your dog than sing a song when a goal behind. 

6 hours ago, Morrisandmoo said:

Yes,a singing section is good idea. And I think you meant singing section rather than an 'ultra' type set-up. Currently, it's hard to support the team when your surrounded by folk booing, moaning and passionately NOT 'celebrating failure'. 

A section where like-minded individuals can stand together and vocally support the team is sure to bring a bit more atmosphere into the stadium (it's certainly hard to make it worse).

And if it results in a place where fans can be both happy and clapping. At the very least you'll have enraged the elite, who would rather you kill your dog than sing a song when a goal behind. 

You my friend, have far too much common sense and brains for this board :lol: 

Ultras and national teams do not really work you know? Even the most vibrant ultra nations dont really have that element when it comes to the country/national team.  Also it is more of a group of stilish boys in their teen and twenties. To think of a grumpy obese 40 something aberdonian with a flag/corteo jumping up and down and singing "Scotland allez" made me laugh mind you. 

On 10/24/2016 at 11:45 AM, aaid said:

With Ultras, the songs and chants generally don't have any relevance to what is happening on the pitch at that time, Jeez, the idiot capos with the megaphones who control everything spend the game with their backs to the pitch so how can they even have a clue.  

I went to the Vienna Derby a few years back and both Ultra groups spent the entire game holding up banners in turn that presumably meant something to someone but to me just looked stupid.

You never get any spontaneity with Ultras, everything is pre planned.

Its contrived and artificial IMHO, if there's no link between how the crowd are reading and what is happening on the pitch then it's just noise in which case just get the boy with the tape to continue playing banging tunes during the game. 

I would disagree regarding the comments about no relevance to what happens on the pitch and everything being pre-planned. From the games I have attended in Italy, yes there is some pre-planning regarding displays/smoke/flares etc but you can also tell chants/songs increase in intensity when the team singing are getting the upper hand on the pitch. I have also seen a few capo's with the megaphones and IMO they spend plenty of time looking at the pitch which in turn leads them to dictating the tempo of the chants from their sections. I honestly don't think its as clear cut and detached as you are suggesting.

However I think one of the earlier posters hit the nail on the head...club sections work because the fans are together week after week. There is no continuity in a Scotland "ultras" due to the fact that they would maybe meet 5-6 times over the course of potentially two years. However answering part of the OP's question, the atmosphere home and away is generally poor nowadays.

"We'll Be Coming" was good fun to sing ten years ago but it's had it's day now.

We're a country with a massive catalogue of rousing folk songs to belt out and yet apart from Loch Lomond at half time, we don't use them at all.

Have posted this before (stole it from Runrig) but would it really be so damn hard to get a chorus of "Alba, Alba !!" going ?

"Al-a-pa, al-a-pa !!"

I think that would be brilliant to hear. 

Jackson Carlaw and the anti-Gàidhlig brigade would also be fecking raging :lol:

2 hours ago, ErsatzThistle said:

"We'll Be Coming" was good fun to sing ten years ago but it's had it's day now.

We're a country with a massive catalogue of rousing folk songs to belt out and yet apart from Loch Lomond at half time, we don't use them at all.

Have posted this before (stole it from Runrig) but would it really be so damn hard to get a chorus of "Alba, Alba !!" going ?

"Al-a-pa, al-a-pa !!"

I think that would be brilliant to hear. 

Jackson Carlaw and the anti-Gàidhlig brigade would also be fecking raging :lol:

Why not go with 'Ecosse, Ecosse' instead?

International qualifying tournaments are rubbish, Scotland are rubbish, Scotland play poor football and Scotland has no chance of qualifying for the World Cup.  As the World Cup is now the only decent spectacle in international football after the European championships were made a joke by Uefa this year, I'm now questioning the sanity of anyone who goes to watch or support an international team at anything other than the World Cup.

The quality of games during qualifiers is terrible compared to what you get at club football throughout the season but are bearable, I suppose, if you support a nation that is a regular WC qualifier, or is an outsider every so often with a genuine chance that time, as you know ultimately you'll get your reward for watching not very good or high standard matches in qualifying.

You can talk about national pride etc. but it is about football first and foremost for most people and ultimately supporters will stop going to games and stop watching on the telly.

I'd say I'm a good example of what has happened generally.  For about 10 years from 2003-2013, I was at pretty much all away and home matches.  Now I don't go to any away matches and only home matches if they are convenient.  i.e. on the weekend so that means Lithuania and England this campaign.  So I still support my team on occasion.

It is little wonder there is a drop-off in the atmosphere at matches if I'm typical of what has happened to a lot of supporters.  It would seem incredibly contrived to try and create a false atmosphere at a game that is essentially meaningless, is a poor standard and is being played by one team, at least, that isn't very good or plays decent football.

I may get criticised for being part of the problem but I reckon I'm just an ordinary football fan.  if the team was playing well and had a chance of qualifying for the World Cup then stuff like the atmosphere would look after itself.

7 hours ago, Chesney TA said:

I may get criticised for being part of the problem but I reckon I'm just an ordinary football fan.  if the team was playing well and had a chance of qualifying for the World Cup then stuff like the atmosphere would look after itself.

Totally agree with this bit of your post. The football we are subjected to now is dismal. We have a team that can't actually win a game against even a half decent side so why would we be up and chanting constantly. 

They need to do something to generate some positivity.

It doesn't have to be an ultras section.

You could have one block at Hampden dedicated to it, where people wanting to get involved could buy a ticket for it. Then have a sub-forum on here where people can discuss song/chant ideas, and the guys in that section could help get them going at the game.

Too many people fear trying something new.