Porridge - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Been partial to this in the morning for a while now. Personally I like the instant pots you just put hot water in - basically a Porridge Pot Noodle. Different flavours of happiness to kickstart the day.

What's the consensus? Salt? Flavoured? Plain?

Usually at weekends in winter, with blueberries and Agave Nectar (honey substitute, as I do not have much of a sweet tooth, but I do like this stuff in my porridge).

Only thing me and the wife disagree on is texture.... she likes a sloppy, soup like texture, while I prefer it thick to the point that I can use it as mortar for building a wall :lol:

This should be the acid test  for any player we think of recruiting under the granny rule: if they put salt on their porridge they MUST be English. Dennis the Menace's Scottish uncle took the slipper to him for that!

Also - nowadays all you get is thin watery porridge. It should be thick and lumpy. Even Scotts now has been thinned out.

I'm actually commissioning an oat mill just now and make about 4000 tons of it a week, in bulk 25kgs bags. I have the kilned oats smell all day.

I can help myself to a bag or two before the robot palletises it.

Prefer quick oats 0.4mm to instant 0.55mm and have berries in it.

12 minutes ago, scoobydoo said:

I'm actually commissioning an oat mill just now and make about 4000 tons of it a week, in bulk 25kgs bags. I have the kilned oats smell all day.

I can help myself to a bag or two before the robot palletises it.

Prefer quick oats 0.4mm to instant 0.55mm and have berries in it.

I think I still have a couple of hundredweight of it in the house.....

24 minutes ago, scoobydoo said:

I don't know about further down the production line when it get packaged for the market but we don't use any chemicals or additives. I get the oats from the cleaning plant so don't know what they use there but am certain there isn't any chem dosing there either.

Aaah! so you are the one to blame. Me and the wife can't understand why all the stuff in the shops is as thin as water. 'Campaign for Real Porridge.'

1 hour ago, Third Lanark said:

Aaah! so you are the one to blame. Me and the wife can't understand why all the stuff in the shops is as thin as water. 'Campaign for Real Porridge.'

All the stuff we make is for export from australia to japan, china and india. 

Rolled oats at 1.2 mm is probably what you are looking for. 

Heather honey or cinnamon and raisins.  I've started eating some of this at work in the morning after I go for a swim.  Half fill an empty 500g yogurt pot with oats, pour over hot water, mix, blitz in microwave for 30 seconds, another stir and another 20 second blitz.  Only problem is ensuring one's at the bottom are fully mixed otherwise pretty good and lot cheaper and better for you than those sold in the supermarket.