Ryan Gauld - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

ProudScot

What's the latest on Gauld?

Has he played for Vitoria Setubal? We are at the end of October now...

He's languished in Sporting Lisbons B team for a long time, to be fair he did play there, so it isn't all wasted time.

He's 21 in December. Soon he won't be 'young player with potential'.

Is he injured at the moment.

Wonder what will come of him - One of our brightest young hopes in a long, long time. Would be sad to see him never fulfill that potential.

9 minutes ago, Cove_Sheep said:

He's made one short sub appearance and been an unused sub in most other games according to @WillfaeSwindon

Seems strange Sporting would allow him to be on loan and not used. Either they must not rate him so they aren't bothered or are planning to get him offloaded or something. Doesn't sound good anyway...

1 hour ago, Bobby Russell's Lovechild said:

Didn't realise he was the same age as Feruz (who has made two, 10 min appearances since end Aug).  Also, it seems that Harper can't even get game time for Brighton u23's

That final hurdle seems to trip up so many of our promising youngsters...

52 minutes ago, henry george said:

Played the full 90 minutes last night for Setubal in their 2-0 win against Santa Clara in the Portuguese League Cup.

thats the one where most teams play their b team, he played in all sportings games in that last season or maybe that was the season before

We get far too excited about players before they have done anything of note.

kieron tierney is a boy who came out the blue into the Celtic first team and onto Scotland duty within a year. That's what we want. We get too set on players at 16/17 who go on to do all. If a player is good enough he will be playing regular first team football for a decent club at 18/19. 

4 minutes ago, wembley67lisbon said:

kieron tierney is a boy who came out the blue into the Celtic first team and onto Scotland duty within a year. That's what we want. We get too set on players at 16/17 who go on to do all. If a player is good enough he will be playing regular first team football for a decent club at 18/19. 

Spot on.

If they get wind of a youth player at a club of substance he is going to be the new star of our team. It just does not work like that. We have had a range of players like this who have sunk without trace or failed to live up to expectations - players such as Feruz (Celtic), Robbie Foy (Liverpool), Danny Wilson (Liverpool), Michael Stewart (Man. Utd), Ryan Harper (Real Madrid), Stephen Smith (Rangers) and so many more.

12 minutes ago, wembley67lisbon said:

Aye.

Remember circa 2007 - the Daily Record claiming every couple of weeks that an announcement of Steven Fletcher's transfer to Real Madrid "is imminent" and "we understand that a fee has been agreed between Hibs and the Spanish giants" :lol:

Or the press demanding that Burley pick John Fleck and put him in the starting line up against the Dutch in 2009 - because he scored a penalty against Dundeee Utd. Noticed that "the Scottish Rooney" was playing for Sheffield Utd in the English 3rd tier yesterday. Dear oh dear.

Edited by ErsatzThistle

6 hours ago, ErsatzThistle said:

Aye.

Remember circa 2007 - the Daily Record claiming every couple of weeks that an announcement of Steven Fletcher's transfer to Real Madrid "is imminent" and "we understand that a fee has been agreed between Hibs and the Spanish giants" :lol:

Or the press demanding that Burley pick John Fleck and put him in the starting line up against the Dutch in 2009 - because he scored a penalty against Dundeee Utd. Noticed that "the Scottish Rooney" was playing for Sheffield Utd in the English 3rd tier yesterday. Dear oh dear.

Don't discount Fleck for the national team some time in the future.  He was a consistently good performer for Coventry and he may well be the best midfield player in that particular league at the minute.Both Paul Hartley, Gordon Greer, Graham Alexander all spent a lot of time before they broke through- Fleck might well be another.  Getting regular first team football has undoubtedly benefited him and that's the issue with Gauld and Harper.

24 minutes ago, Hertsscot said:

Don't discount Fleck for the national team some time in the future.  He was a consistently good performer for Coventry and he may well be the best midfield player in that particular league at the minute.Both Paul Hartley, Gordon Greer, Graham Alexander all spent a lot of time before they broke through- Fleck might well be another.  Getting regular first team football has undoubtedly benefited him and that's the issue with Gauld and Harper.

But at 5ft 6.5 he's surely got no chance while Strachan is in charge?

19 hours ago, Hertsscot said:

I'd rather see how he copes after a good run in the Championship. And in any event we have younger midfielders to consider and who should be prioritised. Fleck is well down the list. 

Saw Fleck a few times for Coventry (last season and the year before) was never particularly impressed sadly. Gave the ball away quite a bit and tried a few too many hollywood passes from the deep midfield position he was playing. Similar to Bannan, but about half as good, if that.

1 hour ago, ErsatzThistle said:

I'd rather see how he copes after a good run in the Championship. And in any event we have younger midfielders to consider and who should be prioritised. Fleck is well down the list. 

I would agree.  I'm certainly not touting him for an immediate call up!  I think we are just so desperate for genuine decent talent to break through that we end up being like Fox Mulder in the X Files, 'I want to believe'.  There's such a long list of youngsters who haven't made it.  The only glimmer of hope is that two years ago most of us were pretty unaware of Ollie Burke or Kieran Tierney so there's always a chance that someone is out there who might break through and become a regular at a top team.

Ryan Gauld is different from the list of players above. I genuinely got excited watching him for Dundee United and they were the opposition. Very rare for that to happen. He was protected by 2 "enforcers" in Paul Paton and John Rankin and did his stuff. Dundee United had a cracking team for a short period and people should have been flocking to watch them before their fire sale. I still live in hope for him.

On 10/30/2016 at 2:05 PM, wembley67lisbon said:

Agreed, quicker folk realise Ryan Harper is just another kid released by Madrid the better. Christ, Killie have had players who've got closer to the first team at Madrid than Harper was ever going to. If he can't get near the Brighton squad now, i doubt he ever will do. Gauld, i have a little more hope for but the clock is ticking. Agree totally on the Tierney point.

2 hours ago, Squirrelhumper said:

Agreed, quicker folk realise Ryan Harper is just another kid released by Madrid the better. Christ, Killie have had players who've got closer to the first team at Madrid than Harper was ever going to. If he can't get near the Brighton squad now, i doubt he ever will do. Gauld, i have a little more hope for but the clock is ticking. Agree totally on the Tierney point.

Jack Harper.  Ryan Harper is his brother and plays as well but is 29 and Betis B team and a failed trial at Hamilton Accies is the height of his achievement.

Still the most successful of the brothers at the moment though!

4 hours ago, Alan said:

Ryan Gauld is different from the list of players above. I genuinely got excited watching him for Dundee United and they were the opposition. Very rare for that to happen. He was protected by 2 "enforcers" in Paul Paton and John Rankin and did his stuff. Dundee United had a cracking team for a short period and people should have been flocking to watch them before their fire sale. I still live in hope for him.

There was a run of games where united were just killing teams and Gauld was in the middle of it all (including 
I think a cup game against Thistle, where thistle were bit a unlucky before getting overrun.)  He could put in a tackle too when he wanted too.

I really hope he comes good.