Quick Rugby Park Question. - Football related - Discussion of non TA football - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Quick Rugby Park Question.

Just now, Squirrelhumper said:

He's really the best keeper you have had?

Without a doubt. Saints fans are always in absolute agreement with that. Regardless of their age. In his first stint with us he was by far the best in the country. The year we finished the best in the country behind the manky two he was simply outstanding. I remember us playing against Monaco and Barthez at the time came out and said he could not understand why Main was at a smaller club like Saints. The one thing that held Main back was his height. He admitted that himself. That was probably why he never got capped. Rab Douglas at the time got capped and Main was a better 'keeper at the time than he was but Douglas was a giant.

Didn't they play against Monaco and Barthez and he was raving how could Main was, 3-3 or something, one of the boys i ran about with at the time was a big Saints fan, used to go on about Alan Main and George O'boyle all the time.

6 minutes ago, phart said:

Didn't they play against Monaco and Barthez and he was raving how could Main was, 3-3 or something, one of the boys i ran about with at the time was a big Saints fan, used to go on about Alan Main and George O'boyle all the time.

The two lads who were our real star players at the time were Main and John O' Neil.

10 minutes ago, Ormond said:

Without a doubt. Saints fans are always in absolute agreement with that. Regardless of their age. In his first stint with us he was by far the best in the country. The year we finished the best in the country behind the manky two he was simply outstanding. I remember us playing against Monaco and Barthez at the time came out and said he could not understand why Main was at a smaller club like Saints. The one thing that held Main back was his height. He admitted that himself. That was probably why he never got capped. Rab Douglas at the time got capped and Main was a better 'keeper at the time than he was but Douglas was a giant.

Main was 6ft, not exactly small. Plenty of smaller keepers have had great careers. For example, Andy Goram, Ronnie Simpson, Iker Casillas, Clemence, Shilton etc were same height, if not smaller..

Main was 6ft, not exactly small. Plenty of smaller keepers have had great careers. For example, Andy Goram, Ronnie Simpson, Iker Casillas, Clemence, Shilton etc were same height, if not smaller..

I think being at Saints ruled out any hope of a Scotland cap to be honest. As a Killie man, you must see that too. Paul Wright at Killie I thought should've been recognised at International level.

8 minutes ago, Ormond said:

I think being at Saints ruled out any hope of a Scotland cap to be honest. As a Killie man, you must see that too. Paul Wright at Killie I thought should've been recognised at International level.

Wright was perhaps unlucky but i'm not sure if he was good enough. Scored plenty for,us right enough.

Kevin McGowne was the player who got absolutely shafted by getting no international caps. Funnily enough both signed from St Johnstone.

Wright was perhaps unlucky but i'm not sure if he was good enough. Scored plenty for,us right enough.

Kevin McGowne was the player who got absolutely shafted by getting no international caps. Funnily enough both signed from St Johnstone.

I worked on a job with McGowne once. He had a tiling company in Perth. True dat.

1 minute ago, Squirrelhumper said:

I met him n Rhoderick Dhu in Glasgow the other month with Dylan Kerr. Top lad.

He is a good lad. He is very highly thought of in Perth with Saintees. Just a shame his best buddie Jim Weir is a tosser.