Carlos Alberto Dead - Football related - Discussion of non TA football - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Carlos Alberto Dead

17 hours ago, neil r said:

Captain and scorer of the best goal ever for the best team ever dies at 72.

Every single thing about that goal is a joy.

http://m.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/37767301

Agreed - it's a thing of absolute beauty. It starts with Clodoaldo's effortless trickery at the start, skinning Italian players like they were traffic cones to practise dribbling round - it's as if he was a dad playing in his garden against some 5 year olds and it's all done at only slightly more than walking pace. You've then got the curve on the pass to Jairzinho and the way Jairzinho controls the ball and turns in an instant, the nonchalance of Pele's rolled pass to Carlos Alberto without even looking (apparently Pele knew that in that sort of situation he'd be haring up the wing), followed by the explosive finish at the end. Even the way the ball is kicked with the outside of the foot, the way it hits the net, slightly off the ground, still rising, the way the net billows and the colours of the kits and the grass is right. Perfection. 

2 hours ago, DonnyTJS said:

The first World Cup I remember

Me as well - I was only 3 and have no memories of TV before then but my parents went over to friends of theirs who had a colour TV that day. We had a black and white set at the time and I'd never seen one before, so I can well remember the vivid colour of the Brazil shirts against the grass. I've also got memories of clambering all over the roof of my dad's VW Beetle for some reason that day without being caught doing it - in fact I was most likely doing that as that goal went in.  :lol:

9 hours ago, neilser said:

Agreed - it's a thing of absolute beauty. It starts with Clodoaldo's effortless trickery at the start, skinning Italian players like they were traffic cones to practise dribbling round - it's as if he was a dad playing in his garden against some 5 year olds and it's all done at only slightly more than walking pace. You've then got the curve on the pass to Jairzinho and the way Jairzinho controls the ball and turns in an instant, the nonchalance of Pele's rolled pass to Carlos Alberto without even looking (apparently Pele knew that in that sort of situation he'd be haring up the wing), followed by the explosive finish at the end. Even the way the ball is kicked with the outside of the foot, the way it hits the net, slightly off the ground, still rising, the way the net billows and the colours of the kits and the grass is right. Perfection. 

:ok:

• 2 weeks later...