IDEAS TO IMPROVE THE TEAM - England v Scotland - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

IDEAS TO IMPROVE THE TEAM

bigfathagiz

There is lots we could do better, this is my thoughts on some, specifically with Slovakia game in mind but could relate to other defeats or goals we have lost.

1 Play a goalkeeper who knows how to organise the defence better and be more effective with distribution this could mean getting him coached along with defence before the game starts..

2, Play in form defenders, who are "match fit" and playing regularly such as Berra and Bardsley or players from Scotland.

3, Do not play guys in midfield out of their club position or guys who are not fit,

4, Be tactically more astute and change formation if current formation Is not working

5 Be prepared to take a chance on Strikers no matter their size,  how tall is Messi? or probably our best player during the euros Maloney? and if tall is best why no Rhodes?

6 Have a manager who can address all the above and be aware that defenders need coached as do Goalkeepers and often together as a unit...so be prepared to bring in ex players who can help.  Alex Miller, Steven Pressley, Davie Weir, Big Eck, Colin Hendry....somebody please.

7. Tactics against teams need to be fine tuned depending on the strengths weaknesses they have... stop using the same system against everybody we play and same system home and away.

8.  Use friendly games to play players who are on the cusp of playing and use the time to "ASSESS PLAYERS" . Take France and Italy as example Wallace, McKay, Griffiths, Berra, Boyd, McGinn, McCormack Rhodes hardly 10 minutes playing time among them   - McKay 6 minutes in two games, , Kingsley 20 minutes in two games, Hamilton, Fox and McGinn no game time. No central defenders tried when it is our worst area for mistakes, the two games still only Martin Greer and Hanley that is shocking.

9 Have a manager who takes the fans and media seriously and stops trying to be clever with his attitude when all we have done recently is beat Malta and Gibralter it's not funny and it's not helping.

10. Have a defence that can switch from zonal to man marking, to be organised at free kicks and to understand what foot the goalie actually kicks with.

11 Ditch the pink strips,  psychologically if I was playing in pink I'm not sure I would feel comfortable....would you?

13 Be prepared to try players from the Scottish League Its not that bad. Martin and Hanley it's not working we have lost goals against Gibralter, Malta, Georgia, Lithuania, 3 from Slovakia.....what other proof do you need?

14 Bring in a defensive coach and a decent Goalkeeping coach as well, change the manager, change the team, change the rules for choosing players if you were born in Italy Germany or Brazil you can be picked for Scotland. Change the bus driver, change the formation, change the baw, change their boots stop them from being so vain taking selfies and fixing their hair and their wee beards,,,,,,

15 Get them to try harder.

Edited by bigfathagiz

47 minutes ago, bigfathagiz said:

11 Ditch the pink strips,  psychologically if I was playing in pink I'm not sure I would feel comfortable....would you?

Why does pink make you feel uncomfortable?  It's just a colour.

4 minutes ago, aaid said:

Why does pink make you feel uncomfortable?  It's just a colour.

In the context of playing for Scotland it would make me feel uncomfortable, I would feel more proud wearing something that relates to Scotland I don't see any pink in the St Andrews flag.  I'm Surprised that's all you could come up with

Edited by bigfathagiz

1 minute ago, bigfathagiz said:

In the context of playing for Scotland it would make me feel uncomfortable, I would feel more proud wearing something that relates to Scotland I don't see any pink in the St Andrews flag.

Bizarre. 

5 minutes ago, bigfathagiz said:

What's bizarre about it?  can you expand?   What is so bizarre about wanting to play for your country in your country's national colours

Got to agree with this. Was it a marketing trial by Adidas or was it a brainwave by the SFA. What was the thought behind a shocking pink shirt. The previous one was hideous too.

As for the original post, can someone make sure thar WGS reads it. 

1 hour ago, bigfathagiz said:

There is lots we could do better, this is my thoughts on some, specifically with Slovakia game in mind but could relate to other defeats or goals we have lost.

1 Play a goalkeeper who knows how to organise the defence better and be more effective with distribution this could mean getting him coached along with defence before the game starts..

2, Play in form defenders, who are "match fit" and playing regularly such as Berra and Bardsley or players from Scotland.

3, Do not play guys in midfield out of their club position or guys who are not fit,

4, Be tactically more astute and change formation if current formation Is not working

5 Be prepared to take a chance on Strikers no matter their size,  how tall is Messi? or probably our best player during the euros Maloney? and if tall is best why no Rhodes?

6 Have a manager who can address all the above and be aware that defenders need coached as do Goalkeepers and often together as a unit...so be prepared to bring in ex players who can help.  Alex Miller, Steven Pressley, Davie Weir, Big Eck, Colin Hendry....somebody please.

7. Tactics against teams need to be fine tuned depending on the strengths weaknesses they have... stop using the same system against everybody we play and same system home and away.

8.  Use friendly games to play players who are on the cusp of playing and use the time to "ASSESS PLAYERS" . Take France and Italy as example Wallace, McKay, Griffiths, Berra, Boyd, McGinn, McCormack Rhodes hardly 10 minutes playing time among them   - McKay 6 minutes in two games, , Kingsley 20 minutes in two games, Hamilton, Fox and McGinn no game time. No central defenders tried when it is our worst area for mistakes, the two games still only Martin Greer and Hanley that is shocking.

9 Have a manager who takes the fans and media seriously and stops trying to be clever with his attitude when all we have done recently is beat Malta and Gibralter it's not funny and it's not helping.

10. Have a defence that can switch from zonal to man marking, to be organised at free kicks and to understand what foot the goalie actually kicks with.

13 Be prepared to try players from the Scottish League Its not that bad. Martin and Hanley it's not working we have lost goals against Gibralter, Malta, Georgia, Lithuania, 3 from Slovakia.....what other proof do you need?

14 Bring in a defensive coach and a decent Goalkeeping coach as well, change the manager, change the team, change the rules for choosing players if you were born in Italy Germany or Brazil you can be picked for Scotland. Change the bus driver, change the formation, change the baw, change their boots stop them from being so vain taking selfies and fixing their hair and their wee beards,,,,,,

15 Get them to try harder.

Number 2.. Play in form players not just defenders . Darren Fletcher not playing well neither is Bannan . Strachan got just over 2 weeks to come up with something better 

2 minutes ago, noctonjock said:

Number 2.. Play in form players not just defenders . Darren Fletcher not playing well neither is Bannan . Strachan got just over 2 weeks to come up with something better 

Not trying to be a smart arse but i think i covered that in 3.   Thats why I mentioned having the Slovakia game in mind Fletcher was not fit and players were out of position,

I left out number 12 but i will put it in now..........

12    Don't play somebody like Burke in a huge home match at Hampden in front of a huge home crowd then leave him out of squad altogether that is poor man management. WDS said Slovakia game was for more experienced players, sorry but this is garbage, The guy is playing in German top flight if he could not handle Slovakia in such a small stadium with a crap home support why expose him to huge scottish support who were booing at home,   In other words get a guy who can man manage.

Edited by bigfathagiz

1 hour ago, bigfathagiz said:

In the context of playing for Scotland it would make me feel uncomfortable, I would feel more proud wearing something that relates to Scotland I don't see any pink in the St Andrews flag.  I'm Surprised that's all you could come up with

Plenty of precedent with Scotland wearing a pink top.

article-2568033-1BD5ABDB00000578-506_306

12 minutes ago, aaid said:

Plenty of precedent with Scotland wearing a pink top.

article-2568033-1BD5ABDB00000578-506_306

Correct. Bizarre that people have an issue with Scotland playing in traditional Scotland colours. 

This just confirms what I have been saying all along.      I would still feel uncomfortable wearing this.   Back in 1900 when this was being worn I would have felt the same way,  This is racehorse colours of Lord Roseberry I want to represent my flag, my country, my home with Blue and White maybe red and yellow of the Lion Rampant but not the colours of some rich horse owning politician.  Do me a favour if you like pink buy the shirt and wear it I will respect your choice, but please respect mine.   P.s as for "plenty" of precedent two in 116 years wow that's good going.   

1 minute ago, aaid said:

Here's another cracker from 1993. 

GL909555.jpg

Maybe you should go on to Ebay and see if you can get yourself the full collection that's if you don't already own them.  Canny believe you have actually gone on and found more,  You are like a wee dug with a bone..........Have you nothing better to talk about?  I though this conversation was dead over an hour ago.  Look plain and simple I would rather play in the colours of my nation not some guys marketing ploy or  horseowners colours.  If you like pink great.

2 minutes ago, DonnyTJS said:

Not that I keep up with Scotland kits, but isn't the home strip usually based on a navy blue - around Pantone 280 as in the Union flag - whereas the recommended standard for the Scottish saltire is a fetching Pantone 300?

You're absolutely correct, so it's false to claim that our "home" strip is in the colours of our flag, the white perhaps but not the blue.