Danny swanson - Page 2 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Danny swanson

pscott

16 hours ago, DoonTheSlope said:

If Danny Swanson had been born in Northern Ireland then he would have been in France in the summer

Well given that Josh McGennis was there, I think this falls into the "stating the bleeding obvious" category!

Swanson has definitely improved since he was last at Saints on loan. Leaner, fitter and showing nice skill in abundance. I just made these points to my pal at the game on Sunday and also, despite his size, he is not easily pushed off the ball. To be honest though, if I had to choose Swanson in this form or O’Halloran in the form he was in at this time last season, I would pick O’Halloran. He was definitely worth a Scotland call up in my opinion, I’m not so sure about Danny just now but may still be convinced.

But there is a point that Strachan should maybe take a chance on players in the SPL. Zander is keeping out a Northern Ireland internationalist (Mannus). Danny’s fellow midfielder (Paton),  who is by no means a regular for Saints, was recently drafted into the NI squad. NI are doing alright.

Swanson has been fantastic this season for Saints - he's the only guy we have in our squad with the skill to create something out of nothing and has been on a different level to any other player on the pitch in a lot of the games this season. It's no surprise that he's looking fitter, sharper and stronger after getting a full pre-season in for the first time in years. Can't see him getting a chance for Scotland though, given his age and who he plays for. 

If Zander Clark keeps playing the way he has been, he definitely deserves to be in the next squad. Although, given that Strachan didn't know who Dave Mackay was (or even what his first name was) when he was at McDiarmid for the Hearts game earlier this season (despite him captaining a top 6 club for the past 5 years), I think it's fairly clear he has little knowledge or interest in players at the diddy clubs! 

On 26/10/2016 at 7:02 PM, andyD said:

There's some tall claims in the OP, but I think I'd be fine with him being in the squad tbh.
I asked myself, does he deserve a call up ahead of Barrie Mackay, and I think most would find it hard to argue against it.

If we're going to play 4231 (which lets be fair, we know we're going to) then who do we have in that central spot.

Snodgrass - was the obvious, but is unavailable
Burke - seems like the best replacement for him, so hopefully will start there.
Morrison - tends to play a lot deeper these days.. when he plays.. which isnt often this season.
Maloney - tends to get lost in the middle. Worked of the right last campaign, barely playing at the moment tho.
Charlie Adam - Wont get a call.
Tom Cairney - Wont get a call. Would be a hell of a game to throw someone their debut in.
Johnny Russell - Possibly, but struggling to get in a misfiring Derby team.
Stuart Armstrong - On the fringes at Celtic, 3 starts in the league and cup combined.

So pretty much all the regular faces are struggling for time on the pitch.. so we could do worse than having someone who happens to be in form and plays 90 minutes every week on the bench for us.

Like I said Burke to start for me, but Swanson's form could see him in the squad for me, given that no one else is kicking a football at the moment.

Ross McCormack can also play in that position, but he's another who is highly unlikely to be called up. 

3 hours ago, scotlad said:

Ross McCormack can also play in that position, but he's another who is highly unlikely to be called up. 

Unlikely perhaps, but at the moment that's perhaps deserved. Only started 1 of Newcastle's last 7 games and not scores in over 6 weeks. He's not exactly screaming out to be picked at the moment.

5 hours ago, andyD said:

Unlikely perhaps, but at the moment that's perhaps deserved. Only started 1 of Newcastle's last 7 games and not scores in over 6 weeks. He's not exactly screaming out to be picked at the moment.

?

McCormack plays for Aston Villa.  I stand to be corrected here but as far as I am aware he has been playing regularly.

On 28/10/2016 at 8:57 PM, scotlad said:

?

McCormack plays for Aston Villa.  I stand to be corrected here but as far as I am aware he has been playing regularly.

Aye Villa.. Don't know why I said Newscastle.

But he's only started 1 of the last 9 games.. and only played more than 45 minutes in two.

Edited by andyD

6 hours ago, andyD said:

Aye Villa.. Don't know why I said Newscastle.

But he's only started 1 of the last 9 games.. and only played more than 45 minutes in two.

I think they were interested in signing him at one point, perhaps that was it.

Right enough, I notice he started on the bench yesterday.  Possibly on current form he doesn't merit a call-up.