Was There Ever Really A "Golden Age" of Scottish Comedy ? - Page 2 - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Was There Ever Really A "Golden Age" of Scottish Comedy ?

Following on from yesterday's posts about Sadowitz and the lack of material online. I found a stream of his "Total Abuse Show" stand up. First time I've ever seen footage of him. Pretty good. Didn't think I would enjoy the magic tricks but he blends them into the act very well.

Dundee gets it in the neck again :P

19 hours ago, Orraloon said:

Chic Murray was a very funny man. A lot of his jokes were very clever but not amazingly funny. They were often a very clever play on words. If you look at a lot of his jokes now, you would think that they are mildly amusing but not hilarious. But if folk could go back and time and watch him telling the jokes, most folk, with a normal sense of humour, would be rolling about laughing. It was his personality and "the way he told em" that made him a very, very funny man.

Probably my all time favorite Scottish comedian.

correct, you really had to watch him telling the jokes. No use just seeing them written down as it was all in his delivery

1 hour ago, ParisInAKilt said:

Still game was been rubbish or bellow average at best since about season 4. The new ones have been painful as well. 

I thought the first one of the new series was really good.

The 2nd one was a bit disappointing as I thought it would've been better from the trailer and subject matter.

The one last week was decent enough, had enough good stuff in it to cancel out the guff.

Overall I think it's good, and had a lot of hype to live up to.

17 hours ago, Stapes said:

Sadowitz is a genius, but yes, he does get stuff taken down (I've heard he checks online every single day). Something in the back of my head is telling.me it's something to do with him not wanting people to be able to analyse his magic tricks and steal them.

What sticks out for me is Absolutely. Such a great show, but nothing else out at the same. 

I've read he is one of the top sleight of hands practitioners in the world, really high level. So that could be possible.

6 hours ago, sbcmfc said:

I thought the first one of the new series was really good.

The 2nd one was a bit disappointing as I thought it would've been better from the trailer and subject matter.

The one last week was decent enough, had enough good stuff in it to cancel out the guff.

Overall I think it's good, and had a lot of hype to live up to.

Completely agree with that analysis . The wee junkie guy could be a good character so long as they do not over use him.  

5 hours ago, Larky Masher said:

In the nineties there was The High Life which remains the best Scottish sitcom ever.

I thought i was the only person in Scotland who remembers this programme. No one seems to know what I am talking about if I mention it. Used to watch it on a Friday night after the pub . Was beginning to think I had perhaps dreamed it up after too many cider and babychams. It must bave launched a few careers the same way Tutti Frutti did. 

Late eighties early nineties. 'Naked video, kick up the eighties, Fred Macauley, bing hitler (as craig ferguson I think the best stand up I've seen), Jerry sadowitz (saw him a couple of weeks ago still funny as ), absolutely'.

oh and Bruce Morton and one of the funniest guys I've ever seen boy called 'parrot' supported someone at a gold bier comedy night at the lemon tree and promptly disappeared but he was brilliant

a lot of it down to the BBC Scotland comedy unit

Edited by McTeagle

I suspect Pastor Jack's act probably had a few more laughs in it than MacAuley's. 

Parrot is still going, saw him a couple of years ago in Glasgow, having first seen him about 25 years ago in Edinburgh. 

The late 80s/early 90s was when I went to pretty much everything and anything at the Fesitval and I'm tempted to agree that comedy was really good then. But I wonder if it is rose tinted glasses. I bought the DVD set of Absolutely a few years back. In my memory it was unremittingly brilliant; watching the box set proved that not to be the case. All the bits I remembered were really funny, but large chunks of it were borderline unwatchable. I bet the same would apply to Naked Video and A Kick up the 80s (not to mention Laugh, I Nearly Paid My Licence Fee in which Robbie Coltrane gave us the genuinely funny Mason Boyd). And there was a time in the 80s when Phil Kay was the next big thing (I think he won the Perrier).

Edited by Pool Q

1 hour ago, Pool Q said:

I suspect Pastor Jack's act probably had a few more laughs in it than MacAuley's. 

Parrot is still going, saw him a couple of years ago in Glasgow, having first seen him about 25 years ago in Edinburgh. 

The late 80s/early 90s was when I went to pretty much everything and anything at the Fesitval and I'm tempted to agree that comedy was really good then. But I wonder if it is rose tinted glasses. I bought the DVD set of Absolutely a few years back. In my memory it was unremittingly brilliant; watching the box set proved that not to be the case. All the bits I remembered were really funny, but large chunks of it were borderline unwatchable. I bet the same would apply to Naked Video and A Kick up the 80s (not to mention Laugh, I Nearly Paid My Licence Fee in which Robbie Coltrane gave us the genuinely funny Mason Boyd). And there was a time in the 80s when Phil Kay was the next big thing (I think he won the Perrier).

Mason Boyne surely.

Can i just say i abhor Phil Kay and thought he was about as funny as toothache

I wasnt one bit surprised when he reinvented himself as Alex Massie

Seen Phil Kay many times - last time I walked out as it was terrible.  But on many occasions he'd been hilarious to be fair.  Used to compere the Lemon Tree GOld Bier comedy night.

Re Mason Boyne - forgot about 'laugh, I nearly paid...'. - always (incorrectly) remembered that was Kick up the eighties

6 hours ago, Larky Masher said:

Mason Boyne surely.

It was of course.

With regard to Phil Kay I saw him several times in the 80s and found his manic stage technique irritating. He could be very funny, but most of the time he was just a pain in the tits. All I was saying was that at one time he looked destined to be pretty big.