What would you give for a win? - Page 2 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

What would you give for a win?

KennyMiller

2 hours ago, romanticscot said:

In a constructive manner, what do you believe to be factually incorrect? I am open to correction. 

There is no way on this earth the eu stifles economic development of Individual countries through membership fees !  

Money back through access to the eu markets helps grow the economy. Spending in poorest areas (i.e. Highland and islands and poor worse of parts of europe) for me is a no brainer for eu membership.

Hell even the citizens of Benbecula have faster broadband than me cause of the eu !

5 hours ago, romanticscot said:

I could not add this to my comment above

"Would you consider France, Germany, Spain, Ireland, Spain, Holland, Belgium et al as Independent countries ?No, because a superior authority has the legal right to impose its will on the inferior state.  

"We would be just like them" 

Scotland in the EU would be an autonomous or vassal nation rather than an independent nation.  An autonomous nation is one which does not have independent self governance. The question then is, do you want Scotland to be independent or autonomous?  I would not wish to be an autonomous nation like France, Germany, Spain, Ireland, Spain, Holland, Belgium et al, I would want the people of Scotland to govern themselves, set their own tax laws, determine their own policy for healthcare, social programs, issues of military and entirely be prosperous to the degree of its own industry, resources  and ambition of its people.  

Err, yes I would like to be like one of those normal European nations :mellow:

Who else do you have in mind then?

But anyway, in a sort of inverted answer to the OP, I would give up a win at Wembley for qualification.   This pish (sorry) harks back to the days when folk would be happy for a win against England in the irrelevant Home Nations tournament vs. Euro qualification.   Used to do my tits in :mad:

3 hours ago, AustroSchotte said:

There is no way on this earth the eu stifles economic development of Individual countries through membership fees !  

Money back through access to the eu markets helps grow the economy. Spending in poorest areas (i.e. Highland and islands and poor worse of parts of europe) for me is a no brainer for eu membership.

Hell even the citizens of Benbecula have faster broadband than me cause of the eu !

In 2014, annually the UK paid roughly 8.5 billion pounds more than what we got in return. Sounds like expensive broadband to me. If an independent Scotland had its share it contribted it would manage it far better wouldn't you agree? That is an example of how it stifles economic growth. I'm all for all charity but a superior state governing how you spend your money is neither  freedom nor is it charitable.

I would want Scotland to be Scotland but other countries worth learning from in areas would be Iceland, Switzerland and Malaysia. 

Edited by romanticscot

I was curious how much it would cost to give every home in Scotland free( someone has to pay for it) broadband.  last census data I could find was 2.4 million households in Scotland, so assuming BB cost you 160 pounds a year, that would cost you 384 million, 0.4 billion, and you have plenty left over, you can tell the people of Benbecula not to fret they will still have access to Netflix, and access to the internet doesn't just mean a waste of time, it would be educational so Scotland's next generation of engineers can compete on the global stage and be a country of innovators once again and give the world the next telephone, television or penicillin. 

I am still open to some facts to be proven wrong.  

Also are you saying countries outside of the EU do not have access to the European market?  Please show evidence to back that up, that sounds absurd.  

Edited by romanticscot

24 minutes ago, romanticscot said:

Also are you saying countries outside of the EU do not have access to the European market?  Please show evidence to back that up, that sounds absurd.  

No I'm not saying that but yes I am saying Britain will not have access to that market in the way that countries like Norway, Swiss, Iceland enjoy. Because Britain has chosen to leave the eu.  Time will tell what happens...

52 minutes ago, romanticscot said:

If an independent Scotland had its share it contribted it would manage it far better wouldn't you agree? 

Agreed. However the roads and infrastructure projects have provided a life line and economic boost to communities which was badly needed at the time.(skye bridge, causeways, tourism etc). Without the eu we would still be sailing to Skye.

Anyway my point is we get more in return from the eu single market than membership fees. I find the security and autonomous state of independence is better than the risk of going it alone or being stuck with a more closed racist Britain. 

1 hour ago, AustroSchotte said:

No I'm not saying that but yes I am saying Britain will not have access to that market in the way that countries like Norway, Swiss, Iceland enjoy. Because Britain has chosen to leave the eu.  Time will tell what happens...

Agreed. However the roads and infrastructure projects have provided a life line and economic boost to communities which was badly needed at the time.(skye bridge, causeways, tourism etc). Without the eu we would still be sailing to Skye.

Anyway my point is we get more in return from the eu single market than membership fees. I find the security and autonomous state of independence is better than the risk of going it alone or being stuck with a more closed racist Britain. 

Im surprised it's taken as long as 29 replies tbh

?????

Edited by DoonTheSlope

Regarding the Skye bridge, giving the EU 10 apples and getting 4 bananas back is not a sound investment, Scotland could sell 10 apples, buy 4 bananas and have funds left over. I used fruit to hopefully illustrate the dodgy exchange rate, see earlier regarding the 8.5 billion that means its losing more money than it contributes. Iceland and Switzerland are not in the EU, Switzerland is in the common market and does better than the UK. Your comment about protection is valid, what is the relationship with NATO and the EU? Definitely interesting times my friend. Life is easier when we get along and just watch football. decades from now generations will remember these turbulent times and hopefully compliment us for doing the best we could.

4 hours ago, romanticscot said:

Regarding the Skye bridge, giving the EU 10 apples and getting 4 bananas back is not a sound investment, Scotland could sell 10 apples, buy 4 bananas and have funds left over. I used fruit to hopefully illustrate the dodgy exchange rate, see earlier regarding the 8.5 billion that means its losing more money than it contributes. Iceland and Switzerland are not in the EU, Switzerland is in the common market and does better than the UK. Your comment about protection is valid, what is the relationship with NATO and the EU? Definitely interesting times my friend. Life is easier when we get along and just watch football. decades from now generations will remember these turbulent times and hopefully compliment us for doing the best we could.

Yes we see what happens hope fully it dpes t get too more turbulent! ...hopefully they can do a postal vote this time so exiled Scots can vote on the independence issue seems strange we were allowed to vote on the EU...maybe that was the missing percentage the yes campaign needed. 

7 hours ago, DoonTheSlope said:

Im surprised it's taken as long as 29 replies tbh

?????

Britain has been bitching about so much that a lot of people an EU institutions will be glad to see the back of them (think CBI + UKIP) the EU can hopefully weather the storm and the rise of the right wings party's anti-refugee let's build walls mentality !

The influx of refugees to Austria compared to the entire UK is laughable and the torys are blatant racists ! Sorry to bore you on this issue. 

On 10/31/2016 at 8:22 AM, KennyMiller said:

Haha.

I would take 2 wins over England and them finishing above us than the other way round. I know that's the wrong answer but I can't lie

You are right. That  is the wrong answer to a poor question.

Here are a couple of better ones:

1. What would you give for a draw at Wembley, draw with them back at Hampden but then we go on to win the group and England finish second - but don't qualify because they are the worst runner up?

Or

2. We win neither game but both England and Scotland manage to qualify for the World Cup. We meet England at the first match in the knockout stages and put them out. Plus you are able to choose the manner of the win (4-0 humping, winner 6 minutes into injury time, or penalties.)

What would give for those?