Team and Rationale - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Team and Rationale

KennyMiller

Less than 2 weeks. As things stand - What's your team and why?

Gordon

Hutton          Berra     Martin         Wallace

Brown   Fletcher

Burke              Macurthur          Anya

Griffiths

Gordon (GK) - More experience of playing in and winning big international matches and can handle a big atmosphere. 

Wallace (LB Deep) - Will do okay. Can tackle. Strong.

Berra (CB) - Solid enough player. Martin and Hanley together does not work.

Martin (CB)

Hutton (RB) - Just. A better option than Paterson. Patersons positioning leaves a lot to be desired (see Saturday X 2) and positioning is key next week.

Brown (CM Deep) - Like last time out at Wembley - every pass through him. Let him control the match.

Fletcher (CM Deep) - Protect a poor defence. He's not been great recently at all but he's experienced and can handle an occasion.

Macarthur (CM) - Can get a goal (see Sat x2) from midfield - runs all day.

Burke (RM) - No fear. Direct. Get at them son. 

Anya (LM) - See Burke - Can help out an inexperienced Wallace 

Griffiths (FW) - Do what you want. Run about all day. Never say die. Can score a free kick. 

Edited by KennyMiller

Prior to Brown returning and Tierney being rules out injured I had considered a 5-4-1 of

Gordon

Paterson - R.Martin - Berra - Wallace - Tierney

Anya - D.Fletcher - McArthur - Naismith

Griffiths

On his day Craig Gordon can be a world class keeper, and should always be ahead of David Marshall. Berra in place of Hanley, with Martin and Wallace either side of him to feed the ball out wide or up the park. I would have thrown Wallace into a back 3/5 which would allow Tierney to get forward; Wallace hasn't been at his best this season but we need an alternative to Hanley, and Mulgrew is horrendous imo. Naismith and Anya for their work rate. I'd even have thought about throwing in James Morrison to the midfield and Anya as RWB in place of Paterson (as Hutton hasn't really been a regular this season). 

I can't really think of anything wrong with the starting XI you've picked, other than there's no way the manager will pick it!

4 minutes ago, Manno said:

Prior to Brown returning and Tierney being rules out injured I had considered a 5-4-1 of

Gordon

Paterson - R.Martin - Berra - Wallace - Tierney

Anya - D.Fletcher - McArthur - Naismith

Griffiths

On his day Craig Gordon can be a world class keeper, and should always be ahead of David Marshall. Berra in place of Hanley, with Martin and Wallace either side of him to feed the ball out wide or up the park. I would have thrown Wallace into a back 3/5 which would allow Tierney to get forward; Wallace hasn't been at his best this season but we need an alternative to Hanley, and Mulgrew is horrendous imo. Naismith and Anya for their work rate. I'd even have thought about throwing in James Morrison to the midfield and Anya as RWB in place of Paterson (as Hutton hasn't really been a regular this season). 

I can't really think of anything wrong with the starting XI you've picked, other than there's no way the manager will pick it!

I've said as much.

I believe Strachan will go with 6 changes from my 11.

A fit Mulgrew would be in at left back or centre half for me. Probably centre half due to Walcott's pace on the wing.

Marshall; Hutton Martin Mulgrew Kingsley; Brown McArthur Morrison; Burke Ritchie; Griffiths

Will probably change as time goes on. Certainly a flip of the coin for Marshall/Gordon. Possibly Martin at right back with Hanley moving in. Also quite like Steven Fletcher's all round game. Think he gets a hard time though I understand his lack of goals is concerning.

Edited by Mcfadden11

Marshall

Paterson   Martin   Berra   Wallace

Brown     Mulgrew

Burke          Naismith        Ritchie

Griffiths

Marshall is Strachan's choice to play keeper and he won't change that.
There is no better option at RB than Paterson, Hutton's just bad.
Berra in to replace Hanley, who doesn't warrant a start after the last couple of games.
Wallace is the best option at LB.
Mulgrew in with Brown as we haven't laid a glove on anyone in the last two games, and that can't be the case against England. A solid, hard-working base to play from.
The front 4 are in there for pace, ability and work-rate. The 3 behind Griffiths can play in any of the three positions, meaning they can move around to find space, or in Burke and Naismith's case a height/heading advantage if Danny Rose plays LB.
Griffiths is our best chance for a goal at the moment.

12 minutes ago, Sherps said:

Marshall

Brown     Mulgrew

Griffiths

Berra in to replace Hanley, who doesn't warrant a start after the last couple of games.
Mulgrew in with Brown as we haven't laid a glove on anyone in the last two games, and that can't be the case against England. A solid, hard-working base to play from.
The front 4 are in there for pace, ability and work-rate. The 3 behind Griffiths can play in any of the three positions, meaning they can move around to find space, or in Burke and Naismith's case a height/heading advantage if Danny Rose plays LB.

That would be fine and I agree with most of that.

Strachan however, you can just see him playing the same dross; Hanley, Bannan, Chris Martin.

13 minutes ago, Sherps said:

Marshall

Brown     Mulgrew

Griffiths

i like the look of this team except i would play McArthur instead of Naismith.

I think GS will go with Marshall Paterson Hanley Martin and Anya    MIDFIELD Forrest Brown Fletcher McArthur Ritchie and Fletcher up top.

1 hour ago, Sherps said:

Marshall

Brown     Mulgrew

Griffiths

Actually agree with all of that - makes sense to me :ok:

Gordon

Paterson  R Martin  Mulgrew  Wallace

D Fletcher 

Ritchie   Brown   McArthur   Anya

Griffiths

How about this for a team and formation? Although I haven't seen enough of Wallace or Kingsley to judge properly. McArthur has been playing well at club level and seems better at keeping the ball these days. He used to win it for Scotland and immediately pass it to the opposition. He even pops up in the box now and again and can score. Brown experienced and likes a battle. D Fletcher cannot cover the ground these days but would be a steady head to protect our vunerable defence? Mulgrew, if fit, is less error prone than Hanley and can control and pass the ball. Anya on wide midfield to help our left back but also can counter fast. We have no outstanding striker so maybe give Griffiths a run as the 'hold up' types (Martin and S Fletcher) are not particularly adept at holding it up. Let Griffiths whizz around and chase more? Paterson should play because Hutton is suspect defensively and Paterson is a good athlete and dangerous in their box. R Martin can also watch for Paterson being out of position and cover him if required while D Fletcher drops in to cover R Martin ?